Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Hoskote Lake Pics

On a misty weekend, I visited Hoskote lake. Migration season is in full swing, and I saw some amazing sights. Here are the pics!



~~~
Eerie stillness hangs in the air, broken only by the muffled chirps of birds.




~~~
A flash of turquoise tears through the stillness. It's a White-throated Kingfisher in action.




~~~
Still as a statue, the Grey heron watches and waits, its patience a deadly weapon.



~~~
The sandpiper's legs look just like the reeds, helping it confuse small minnows lurking among the stems.





~~~
Swallows gather on wires to socialize and rest their wings.



~~~
The Eastern Great Egret twists and turns its long neck with practiced ease, relentlessly scanning the water below for unwary fish.





~~~
A Pied kingfisher stood guard, ready to dive when the fog cleared.



~~~
The Wood Sandpiper hadn't found food yet.



~~~
A family of Indian Spot-billed ducks paddled together. A good distance separated me from them, but as if sensing my presence, they erupted into flight, wings beating against the stillness.








~~~
A grey heron skulks stealthily, stalking its prey.



~~~
Capturing close-ups of swallows wasn't possible, but this distant shot offers a glimpse into their impressive numbers.




~~~
The caterpillars were plentiful, increasing my chances of spotting cuckoos.




~~~
There, a Jacobin Cuckoo sat, just as expected.




~~~
A Grey Heron takes off for a better place to skulk.




~~~
Amidst the flurry of small migrants, I was happy to see an Ashy-crowned sparrow-lark, but it was hard to photograph because it moved so quickly and blended in with the mud.



~~~
Among the busy crowd, a migrant Eastern Yellow Wagtail(juv/non-breeding) searched for its meal.






~~~
A painted stork flew gracefully overhead.



~~~
At 9 am, I realized I'd walked too far and turned back. On my way, I saw a jacobin cuckoo.


~~~
The wood sandpiper now probed in the vegetation.



~~~
A large grey babbler was being very loud.



~~~
The gentle clink of the cowbells replacing the tractor's roar brings a smile to my face. I'm so glad the farmer opted for ox on his peaceful plot.



~~~
An Asian green bee-eater perched on a branch.



~~~
A white-browed wagtail hunted for food along the water's edge.



~~~
The Wood Sandpiper swallowed its prize, leaving me with only the echo of a missed shot.




~~~
Chrysanthemums, symbols of longevity and joy, bloomed in the farm's embrace.






~~~
With playful acrobatics, a rose-ringed parakeet clung to the arahar pod, its sharp beak cracking open the shells.





~~~
An Indian roller rested on a wire.



~~~
A cattle egret perched patiently on a cow's broad back, awaiting the insects stirred by the grazing giant's slow march.




~~~
I hope you enjoyed this post! 

What stood out to you the most in this post?

46 comments:

  1. Truely a gallery of wonderful naturally observed birds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shiju,
    Nice series of photos from your trip to Hoskote Lake.
    The White-throated Kingfisher in action is truly amazing to see.
    The Great Egret is now also common here and I am happy with that.
    I also really like the Pied Kingfisher and the Indian Spot-billed Ducks in flight.
    In April the swallows will come to the Netherlands again to breed, I'm already looking forward to it.
    Also beautiful are the Jacobin Cuckoo, the Ash-crowned Sparrow-lark, the Eastern Yellow Wagtail and the Asian Green Bee-eater.
    In short, I enjoyed your photos again.
    I wish you a good weekend.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gret collection, as your usual.
    My favourite remains the Kingfisher but I like the mums so much as well.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walked too far? Now there’s an oxymoron on a nature walk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos of all the birds. I liked the White-throated Kingfisher very much, and all the purple Chrysanthemums.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Shiju,
    I loved all the birds, it is hard to pick a favorite. I love them all. The Mums are lovely, a pretty color. As always a wonderful collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a wonderful weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your birds are (as usual) vastly impressive. This week I’m very fascinated by the image of a farmer plowing with an ox but with the skyscrapers of a modern city on the horizon. A very fascinating portrait, though knowing nothing of the circumstances, I can’t interpret it.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Shiju :=)
    You always share so many lovely birds. It's difficult to choose just one favourite. I enjoyed your early misty morning shots, and the glorious purple flowers.The Pied Kingfisher is a striking bird and I always love to see the Spot-billed ducks, and your in flight shots are wonderful, as are your captures of the Eastern Yellow Wagtail. Another lovely series of Indian birds.
    All the best
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that was again a lot of beautiful and interesting views, dear Shiju! When we were in India, we also saw farmers with oxen in front of their plows and we were happy about the sight. But is this really a “decision” for the sake of silence and the environment or is it more for financial reasons? It's good that the Indian spot-billed ducks flew - that's how you got some great photos in flight!
    Warm rust rose greetings and all the best, Traude 😊
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/01/servus-ihr-lieben-ich-danke-euch-fur.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a matter of convenience. Smaller farms lack the space or soil type needed for efficient tractor use, making oxen a practical option.

      Delete
  10. Hi Shiju. Once again your photos are truly the best. I found the Yellow Wagtail pictures to me liking. In those plumages it is something of a birder's bird, one that catches out the unwary and/or inexperienced who might struggle with an ID.. It's good to see at least one farmer doing it the "old-fashioned way."

    ReplyDelete
  11. The purple flowers are eye catching and I love the Kingfisher. You sure see a lot of birds in the sky at the same time. I don't know why we aren't seeing more migratory birds this winter. Maybe that will change this month. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...Shiju you have a fabulous collection, but seeing the Indian Spot-billed ducks take flight was a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Most enjoyable friend! I appreciate your narrative. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a collection ! Great clicks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant photography as always! A treat to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always impressive photography by you ~ thanks, namaste,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another superb post. I love all of it, I found the grey heron to be especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good evening! Your birds and natures views are outstanding! Lovely moments in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They're all incredibly stunning; choosing a favorite is a tough task.
    The images capturing their graceful flights are unparalleled.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sccollections. Have to give the comment anonymous otherwise it refuse to be placed. Very strange. The comment from me as always. Stunning bird photography. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I especially love the freeze-action photos of the birds in flight!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/01/wandering-around-beautiful-city-of-metz.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely set of photos as always and so interesting too :-)

    Have a kingfishertastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photos - all of them are great. Surprisingly, the birds on a wire shot tugged at me because I don't feel I see flocks on a wire much anymore. The opening collage is great, also. What program did you use to generate it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The collage is created using Adobe Photoshop CC2024.

      Delete
  24. Love, Love, LOVE your photos, and man you sure know your birds! I live by Fox River and there are many birds, ducks, and Swans too I wish I knew their names. Great job... you know I'll be back so I can learn too and go see if I can name a few in my own backyard! hahaha Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The purple power of the flowers is strong! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to check in. Thank you for all your visits. You had an action packed birding day. So many feathered hunters and caterpillars enjoying breakfast. Your long walk paid off. It's been a good birding year here in Costa Rica this month. I have a new camera and zoom lens to help capture them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the nice comment. And of course I'm happy to return the favor. The pictures with the stories make very informative and exciting reading. I enjoyed your report again. You are an artist with your Camera.

    Thank you for this wonderful post about
    MosaicMonday

    Warm hugs from Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Egret is beautiful and so graceful in appearance. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your pictures never disappoint! As for those chrysanthemums, I've never seen any that colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ca de fiecare data, m-ai incantat si azi cu fotografiile prezentate.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely gorgeous! congratulations for the wonderful photos !

    ReplyDelete
  31. yes, a heron is a patience predator....
    thank you for sharing fantastic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful photos. Cool shot of the dive-bombing Kingfisher!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a display of diversity of exotic birds!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful series of photos. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love how you capture the reflections of the birds in the water - your work is stunning. Thanks for sharing and for participating in #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You have some beauties there. Esp the ones in flight. They're fantastic. I do like the Ox with the buildings in the background tho. Nice jusxtaposition to the cityscape #GardenAffair

    ReplyDelete
  37. This are so many, the one I is the Black-winged Stilt, pure genius.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello, I always look forward to your visit to Hoskote lake not only for your stunning bird captures but also your anecdotes on birds. I didn't knew caterpillars looks so adorable. The mums you have captured are actually called Chinese Aster in our region . Thanks for being part of Garden Affair.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Another great collection!
    Are some of these birds just passing by the area? Is Hoskote Lake a happening stop on a migratory route? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoskote lake is a winter migration destination for these birds, though a few passage migrants do stopover occasionally.

      Delete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.