Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Wings & Whimsy

 Saul Kere is a magical realm where wings and whimsy collide, offering birding thrills beyond compare.  Last Sunday's short birding expedition was one such unforgettable experience. Here are the pics.



~~~
I arrived at the lake a bit late, and the sun was already shining brightly. There was more water in the lake than usual from the recent monsoon rains. However, what concerned me was the continuous increase in buildings surrounding the lake.



~~~
An Indian cormorant takes flight in search of better fishing grounds.



~~~
A Eurasian Coot was actively moving about.



~~~
Gracefully, a purple heron soared through the air.



~~~
Perched on a wire, a Pied Bushchat calmly observed its surroundings.



~~~
Deep in thought, the scaly-breasted munia pondered its next move on the slim branch.



~~~
Oriental darters were seen drying their wings after a successful fishing session. The morning light painted a picture of beauty as the delicate shapes and shades of their wings stood out.






~~~
A little egret was busily fishing.



~~~
Indian Spot-billed ducks were seen preening. The calm waters provided the perfect backdrop for their self-care routine, as they maintained their glossy plumage.




~~~
A little grebe, also known as a dabchick, was spotted gliding gracefully on the water's surface.



~~~
Little grebes are known for their skittish behavior, swiftly diving underwater at the slightest indication of danger. They possess remarkable speed, which explains why their scientific name, Tachybaptus ruficollis, is derived from the Greek words "takhos" meaning fast and "bapto" meaning sink. 



~~~
See there, a group of young little grebes.



~~~
I witnessed the heartwarming sight of a mother Indian Spot-billed duck transporting her charming brood of four ducklings. They stick together in the most adorable way possible.



~~~
A fellow birder kindly shared directions to a location where she spotted a couple of Spotted Owlets. I rush to see those creatures. 

It was a bit of a challenge to locate the well-camouflaged tiny owlets, but after some effort, I finally caught a glimpse of one of them.



~~~
I focused my lens and zoomed in to closely observe the owlet.





~~~
Nearby, on these dead tree branches, a Black-rumped Flameback woodpecker was quite active, much like during its nesting days.

Initially, all I could see was a fleeting glimpse of the Black-rumped Flameback, but to my delight, it suddenly emerged into full view. This unexpected moment presented me with the perfect chance to capture some closeup shots.











~~~
An Indian pond heron gracefully glided in and settled on a perch.



~~~
An Asian Green Bee-eater skillfully captured a colorful insect.



~~~
Couple of minutes later, the Bee-eater skillfully snatched another bee, giving the impression that it was as hungry as I felt. 



~~~
As I considered heading home for breakfast, the sight of the other half of the spotted owlet pair filled me with joy, leaving me eager to continue observing their charming interactions.













~~~
At 9:30 am, I called it a morning and concluded my brief trip. I hope you liked this shorter post. Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Linked with Mosaic Monday

49 comments:

  1. The chain of ducklings is adorable. Also love how the owl peeks around a tree and camouflages so naturally against the bark of the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The encroaching buildings look ominous, I hope people join in conservation groups to protect this oasis. I love your photos of the owls and the woodpecker with its flash of red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love owls. Can't get too much of such a good thing. The grebes, woodpecker, heron and other birds are so nicely depicted. I fear that the roost tree along the lake will be removed to 'improve" the view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You find such an incredible variety of birds in a short amount of time. I loved the owls especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wonderful post filled with bird beauty. I must say I do love owls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photography. I had the same thought you did when I viewed the first photo: Very sad to have all that construction so close to the lake. Too bad it couldn't have been offset a ways. You know it must be impacting the wildlife, although your photos show a very nice diversity. I love the owl photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You dwell in a magic realm and bring us inside. Thank you Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent photos as usual. Your Flameback woodpecker has a head like our pileated one but the body is different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are showing some interesting bird life. I especially like the owls. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great series of photos you show.
    So cute the duck with a very long line of little ones swimming behind it.
    I also love the owl.
    The Black-rumped Flame Back Woodpecker is a beautiful species that does not occur in the Netherlands, not even in a zoo.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  11. The increase in construction really is a concern. As the human population keeps growing exponentially more land is devoured and less is available for biodiversity. We are slowly destroying the Earth as we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The shot of the Indian Cormant with the splash and the bird in flight is a real;ly magnificent shot. You should enter it into a competition or exhibition. It's so great. #SaturdayCritters

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the owlets, my favourite in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that's a lot of birds I have to close your post, before my cat sees them ... I love the owls, that's a bird which looks so funny that it raises my mood !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, so many wonderful bird sightings. I would have been thrilled to see the Cute Owls and the Flameback Woodpecker. Great series on the Cormorant. The Grebes and Ducklings are adorable. The Bee-eater is another favorite. Awesome photos and post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seeing an owl is always the high point of a birding day! All your birds are very different from the ones I have seen in North & South America, Europe, and the Caribbean. Someone commented on Eileen’s blog that every place around the world looks the same — they must not be paying attention! Unfortunately if the building projects continue, their clueless observation might come true.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I can hear lots of "oohs" and "aahs" over those owl. Great series of shots Shiju. The Flame backed pecker is gorgeous and I know what you mean about the diving Little Grebes. Have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ...Shiju, your images are fabulous, but your action shots terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could see both of the owlets in that first photo. One in the center and one in the left corner. I love owls...SO MUCH! You had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, you managed to spot both of the owlets. Initially, I had noticed both of them, but as I directed my attention to one, the other vanished onto an unreachable branch.

      Delete
    2. I've come back to look at the owlets again and show the pics to my husband. Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  20. Lovely shots, sharp and great. The owlets are gorgeous.
    Greetings Lasse (Sellberg Nature Photo)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The owlets are amazing and beautifull. Great shots all of them and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have so many wonderful photos of your short trip before breakfast. I enjoyed your little adventure very much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Better late than never and your photos are still incredible, especially capturing their moves and everyday actions! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Marvelous captures all. Makes for a great beginning to my day! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is a worry that so much is being built around the lake, I hope it doesn't upset the wildlife too much. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My favourite is the Scaly-breasted Munia, what a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Appreciate the variety of birds photographs with descriptions. Lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fruitful outing. Great shots of critters. I like to see the birds spreading out their wings.

    ReplyDelete
  29. All of the birds are beautiful but again the owl gets my heart and attention. 2nd place goes that wildly colored woodpecker. Love his spiked red hair and golden back.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The darters look ungainly perched but I bet they're glorious in flight.
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/07/tommys-exercise-routine.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful photos again I enjoyed them loved the duck :-)

    Have a quacktastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another glorious post packed with incredible photos!
    I especially love the owls.

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is a morning well spent, especially joined by the owlets and of course the the Mother duck and ducklings! Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  34. My nephew would love to see these. I like looking at photos of birds midflight. It's mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely series of photos, especially the ducklings, the young Little Grebes and the owlets!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh great catch on the owls. I hear three different species here but I never see them. It is sad when there is so much building taking over natural areas. I wish we put is much value on nature is we do on development. Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  37. All the birds are beautiful and the Heron is my favorite. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  38. A very successful morning of birding; I am loving all those owlet photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. No wonder they use an 'owl' symbol for teachers...because that owlet knew a teacher stare if ever I saw one! It was great to see your blog post in the link up for Wednesday’s Words and Pics. Thank you for sharing. See you again next time, in August! How can that be!! Warm wishes, Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm amazed that there were so many wonderful species of bird so close to all those buildings. The owlets are beautiful and were a very good find! They blend in so well against the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I guess it's nesting season giving the babies. Thankks for sharing those great photos with #Allseasons

    ReplyDelete
  42. Brahminy kite is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  43. You've got one heck of a zoom on that camera there - some incredible shots. Thanks for linking up and for sharing your snaps with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I so very much enjoy the lovely and magical places you take us, with so many beautiful captures! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  45. the scaly-breasted munia look so pretty....never seen in nature..

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.