Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

The Red Avadavat Hunt

It had been ages since I last visited the bund side of Muthanallur lake. The initial plan was a relaxed exploration, birdwatching for the familiar Munia species and the resident Blue-faced Malkohas. But as fate would have it, a surge of birdwatchers had descended on the lake, all with one mission: to spot the elusive Red Avadavat, also known as the Strawberry finch.

Drawn by the excitement and the promise of a rare sighting, I decided to join the hunt. While I'd already enjoyed some initial birdwatching success, the allure of the Red Avadavat was too tempting to resist. So, come along with me and discover what awaited me in this unexpected encounter.



~~~
Since Muthanallur is a good 30 kilometers from home, I decided to start early, setting off around 5 AM. Reaching the lake by 6 AM, I found myself the sole explorer on the dimly lit trail. 



~~~
High up in the predawn sky, a tiny speck of light was the moon.



~~~
Intrigued, I zoomed in to capture the moon's intricate details.



~~~
As I continued my walk, the trail began to come alive. A flurry of activity greeted me, with numerous juvenile and sub-adult munias hopping and flitting about. I saw a trio of Baya Weavers perched on tall, swaying grass blades.  The central bird is an adult male and the two smaller birds are possibly juveniles.



~~~
It was heartwarming to witness the young weavers honing their skills. I observed them effortlessly catching prey and feeding their siblings, a clear indication that they were being prepared for their future roles as parents.




~~~
A White-rumped Munia, sporting its signature brown and white feathers, brightened up the scene.




~~~
The young weavers were practicing their feeding skills, their actions resembling frequent kisses.




~~~
A watchful adult male Baya Weaver oversaw the entire scene.



~~~
An adult female Baya Weaver also kept a watchful eye on her young.



~~~
Here's another adorable sub-adult bird.



~~~
The young weavers were learning how to build nests too.





~~~
Near the weaver nests, I caught a glimpse of a Blue-faced Malkoha. Unfortunately, due to the distance and low light conditions, I was only able to capture record shots of this elusive bird. 








~~~
A solitary Cattle Egret caught my attention.



~~~
Perhaps inspired by the affectionate displays of the weaver siblings, the White-rumped munia was also exhibiting intimate behavior.




~~~
As the light improved and the sky took on a more vibrant hue, the trail began to fill with birdwatchers. 



~~~
A familiar sight emerged: a Plain Prinia. This small, unassuming bird is a common resident of many Indian habitats, its presence is a reassuring reminder of the diverse avian life that thrives in our surroundings.



~~~
It's always a pleasure to encounter the elegant Indian Robin. 



~~~
Two curious pups stopped to gaze at my camera. They were cute.




~~~
Birdwatchers had taken up strategic positions, each hoping to catch a glimpse of the elusive Red Avadavat. The reeds, known to be a nesting ground for these birds, were a particularly popular spot for observation.



~~~
With all the strategic positions occupied, I decided to take a risk and stand in the open. It was a gamble, but I hoped that my patience and a bit of luck would pay off. 

After a 30-minute wait, the moment I had been anticipating finally arrived. A male and female Red Avadavat perched gracefully on a barbed wire fence. The male, with its vibrant red plumage, was a sight to behold. The female, though slightly duller in color, was equally beautiful in her own way. 






~~~
As if celebrating the arrival of the Red Avadavat, a group of assorted munias joined the party. 



~~~
The sighting of the Red Avadavat had ignited a newfound determination within me. Like a lion that had tasted blood, my patience reached unprecedented levels. For the next 30 minutes, I remained steadfast, hoping to witness more of these elusive birds. 


My patience was rewarded with a spectacular flock of Red Avadavat. It was a moment of pure joy.










~~~
A Scaly-breasted Munia made a brief appearance.



~~~
Adding to the vibrant spectacle, a few Tricolored Munias joined the melee.






~~~
With every breathtaking sighting, my desire for a close-up shot grew stronger. After another prolonged wait, my wish was granted as a Red Avadavat approached to a more manageable distance. I clicked away with fervor, capturing the bird's intricate details and vibrant colors to my heart's content.











~~~
As the sun grew warmer, I captured a few final shots of the birds perched on the barbed wire fence, preserving the memory of this unforgettable encounter.





~~~
I hope you enjoyed this blog post. Please share your thoughts, comments, and questions below. I'd love to hear your experiences and insights.

4 comments:

  1. I love all your photos, this post, especially the baya weavers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are indeed gorgeous birds. Your patience really paid off. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shiju, I am in absolute awe! What a wonderful sighting of the beautiful red avadavat (those white spots add so much also!). And what a great lesson your patient waiting gives us in how to be a successful birder! (Getting up early also is a great lesson -- those earlier birds you spotted are all wonderful too, especially the amazing series where the juveniles are learning about feeding. .... Shiju, recently on a news feed I I saw the winners of the bird photo of the year. And what I thought about was that I've seen equal or better bird photos on your blog! (I'm very serious -- you are really an extraordinary photographer. And should be published somewhere!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The red bird is outstanding. So beautiful and the first I have heard of them. Glad you found them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.