Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Chasing Feathers in Muthanallur

After a relaxing weekend at home, I went birdwatching in Muthanallur on Monday morning because it was a holiday. I had two choices: sit in one spot and hope to see the rare red avadavat or walk around and hope to see other birds. I chose to walk around, and I was lucky to see several other birds. Here are the pics.





~~~
Once again, I embarked on an early morning drive and arrived in Muthanallur just as the sun was rising.




~~~
I observed a Spotted Dove foraging along the trail.


~~~
A White-throated Kingfisher sensed my presence and took flight. I followed its path, and it landed on a palm tree where Baya Weavers were constructing their nests. Although it tried to hide, its bright cobalt blue color was still noticeable in the morning's low light.



~~~
A bunch of morning glory blooms had opened up. It's called the 'mile-a-minute' vine because it can grow incredibly fast—up to 6 inches a day or over 100 feet in one season. This makes it one of the fastest-growing vines in the world.



~~~
I spotted a male Pied Bushchat perched on a wire.




~~~
A flock of Glossy Ibises, forming a wedge in the sky, flew past, and this distinct flight shape is why they are called so when in flight.




~~~
I spotted a Greater Coucal, but it was too distant for my camera lens to capture a clear shot. I waited for it to take flight, hoping to capture a better photo.




~~~
I eventually got some great shots of it in flight.




~~~
An image of the expansive lake, mostly covered in water hyacinth, which aids herons and egrets in their search for food.



~~~
A Cattle Egret discovered an insect amidst the dried water hyacinth.



~~~
I witnessed female Baya Weavers diligently collecting food for their young ones, as they flew about and searched the branches.








~~~
Male Baya Weavers were also actively engaged in collecting food.





~~~
A Grey Heron flew off to find a better spot for fishing among the water hyacinths.



~~~
As the sun warmed up, butterflies began to emerge, and I spotted a Striped Tiger butterfly.



~~~
A Tricolored Munia made an appearance. While it was a beautiful bird, my eyes were still searching for a glimpse of the elusive Red Avadavat.



~~~
Next up was a female Pied Bushchat.




~~~
Followed by a juvenile Red-whiskered Bulbul.



~~~
And then, I also spotted some Rose-ringed Parakeets.




~~~
I also came across a female Scarlet Skimmer dragonfly.



~~~
I also spotted another Tricolored Munia perched on a wire.



~~~
I began walking back and forth along a path that was bordered by reeds on one side and lantana flowers on the other. I could hear the Avadavat's call coming from the reeds, but I still couldn't get a clear sighting.



~~~
As I searched for the Red Avadavats, my attention momentarily shifted to a Plain Tiger butterfly, which was busy nectaring on the lantana flowers.




~~~
I was once again distracted, this time by a Black Drongo and its graceful takeoff.



~~~

As the Avadavats continued to elude me within the reeds, my frustration grew. I decided to take a break from the search and instead watched a Baya Weaver in the midst of nest-building.






~~~
I tried a different angle shot of a tree in an attempt to overcome my frustration.



~~~
After a long wait, numerous unsuccessful and blurry clicks, I eventually managed to capture a somewhat decent picture of the male Red Avadavat.



~~~
That was the cue for me to call it a day. As I walked back to the car, I spotted an Ashy Prinia.




~~~
And so, my birding trip came to an end. I hope you enjoyed reading about it. Feel free to leave a comment.

Linked with Mosaic Monday

44 comments:

  1. A pleasant walk with a wide range of species is much better than being rooted in one spot waiting for a rarity - and you found it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Male Baya Weavers are so cute! Another wonderful collection,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos from your walk around

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photography. Those parakeets are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Red Avadavat looks striking amid the greenery. The Striped Tiger butterfly looks like the Monarchs in my part of the world. They likely belong to the same family. The Morning Glory grows prolifically here, too. I will now call it the "mile-a-minute" vine. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos, I loved the Greater Cougal photos. What amazing birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You caught fabulous bird images. These nests look unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Shiju,
    Beautiful series of photos, it's great to see how the weavers make their nest.
    The butterflies are beautiful too.
    Beautiful views too.
    I really enjoy seeing so many bird species that do not occur here in the Netherlands, some species we can see in a zoo.
    I enjoyed your blog again.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I hadn't loved birds before, I would now. Great photographs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was worth the wait. What a stunning little red spotted bird. It looks like it was a full birding morning, too. I asked for a new camera with a good zoom for Christmas. I hope to be able to catch birds once again in Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like seeing the weavers and their nests. The red avadavat is gorgeous. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    I always enjoy reading about your bird outings and your photos are a treat to see. Lovely sunrise and start to your day. Wonderful sightings and beautiful bird photos. I have so many favorites like the Kingfisher and the Weavers, the Red Avadavat is gorgeous, the Greater Coucal is lovely, pretty butterfly and flowers. Great series of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They really are stunning! I enjoyed your outing immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful images — and such a variety of birds!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those big bird nests! And the butterflies were very pretty. Looks like you got there in time for the birds to have breakfast! Beautiful photos! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It seems you made the right choice to take a gentle stroll and come up with those super photos. The Baya Weavers alone and their activities are worth many many clicks of my camera; I wonder how many pictures you must sort through after one of your own walks in such great surroundings? Enjoy your family Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh what an awesome sunrise photo and your avian photography is always very professional ~ glad you finally got a great shot of the red Avadavat ~ lovely bird ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning photos, very nice to see. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed the cyber walk with you and naming the birds that you located for those who are unfamiliar with each species.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you chose to take a walk! You are very talented, thank you for all those wonderful pics!
    Here in the city there are mainly doves, sparrows and ravens... A joy to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ...Shiju, you capture the action beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wonderful photos as usual. I love the pics of the female weavers, they look real cute. I love the photo of the dragon fly too, absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You made the right choice to go for the walk rather than stay in one place. You saw some amazing birds, and some I can only dream about seeing. And you got to see your target bird in the end too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your photos take my breath away.
    Always.

    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/10/the-teapot-show-cedar-creek-pottery.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing set of captures great close ups as always :-)

    Have a beaktastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great photos! I especially like the weavers - their nests are so interesting. Visiting from Peabea's link-up today

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Shiju,
    of course I know that sometimes there are wishes that we would like to fulfill - in your case it was the red Avadavat. But it doesn't help if you get frustrated because it doesn't work (at first) - you were rewarded with so many other beautiful birds, butterflies, dragonflies and were able to capture wonderful photos of them. (And you gave this reward to us so that we too could enjoy it.) Aren't these weaver bird nests fascinating? True works of art! By the way, it's nice to see that the birds in your country are preparing to breed - in our country, they're starting to prepare for the winter season.
    The fact that you were actually able to see and photograph the red Avadavat is the perfect cherry on top of the day. The photo impressively shows how shy the bird is - and also its wonderful beauty - you were able to capture both excellently.
    All the best from Austria to India,
    Traude
    🍁🌻🍂 🌻🍁
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/10/straenkunst-und-gartenlust.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. the sun and the flight of birds are always fascinated. Your photos are exceptional!
    So fine! even the thread of the spider's web can be seen! and the teeth of butterfly wings.
    Thank you for the photo exhibition!
    Happy Day! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  30. lol so many lovely birds. :) I think the Greater Coucal seems to mimik the seed of whatever it is on the tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoyed every image! You are so talented!
    Thank you for sharing them!
    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  32. such a beautiful Spotted Dove.... fantastic shots

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love seeing those amazing nests! And that sun...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yes, I followed again with great, great pleasure.

    Happy MosaicMonday

    Thank you so much being part at
    MosaicMonday

    Have a fine week. Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  35. So many great shots but the 'great shots in flight' are really magnificent. Thanks for sharing with #Allseasons

    ReplyDelete
  36. You got some fabulous shots while you were looking. I'm glad you were able to find your bird. ...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  37. Though I really appreciate your nature photographs, I'm stunned by your amazing shots of the sun - they are beautiful! Thanks for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot and for sharing your snaps.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I wish to go with you on these bird capture expedition once in a sui generis. The Baya and its extraordinary handmade nest is not less than craftsmanship deployed in making of any man made house . Thanks for being part of Garden Affair , I look forward to your bird expedition.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You finally managed to find the evasive red bird! And wow!
    The post is another visual delight. Thank you also for the Morning Glory trivia. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.