Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Spooky Spectacle at Kannamangala

This week, I went birdwatching at Kannamangala Lake, and it seemed like the birds were throwing their own Halloween party. I was able to capture a few eerie bird photos. Join me in this blog post to view both spooky shots and some non-spooky ones.



~~~
I arrived at Kannamangala Lake just five minutes before sunrise.



~~~
In the early morning, the birds were flying eastward, preparing for their daily activities.



~~~
The lake was shrouded in mist.




~~~
As the sun rose, it cast an elegant glow through the serene mist.




~~~
Flowers are falling, making the paths beautiful this season.



~~~
I've often observed bird photographers patiently stationed in one spot, awaiting photo opportunities, a practice quite unlike my usual habit of wandering around in search of birds. However, today, I decided to change things up and try what others often do — staying in one place and capturing the avian wonders that presented themselves.


So, I discovered a cozy spot by the lakeside and settled in. At first, the birds took flight, but soon they began to return.


~~~
The first to make a comeback was an Indian Spot-billed duck.



~~~
Following that, a couple of them arrived and began preening.




~~~
The Aylesbury duck, a likely escapee from a nearby farm whom I've been tracking for several months, appears to have formed a friendship with the Indian Spot-billed ducks. It was a heartwarming sight to see them all swimming together.



~~~
The little grebes arrived, continually diving and resurfacing.




~~~
A gray heron was patiently waiting for an unwary fish to pass by and getting visibly annoyed if any bird ventured too closely.



~~~
A spooky Indian pond heron appeared, seemingly on the prowl for a fish to catch.



~~~
Even the little grebe took on a spooky appearance after a fishing dip.



~~~
The spooky heron locks onto its target.



~~~
It skillfully spears the tail end of a tilapia fish. 





~~~
And in no time, it gulps it down.

~~~
Another heron swoops in, effortlessly catching a tilapia fish.





~~~
Amidst the carnage, it was a pleasant surprise to spot a couple of migrant wood sandpipers.



~~~
While all this excitement unfolded, a bronze-winged jacana brought a touch of serenity to the moment.



~~~
Now, another Indian Pond heron made a ferocious dash.


~~~
And it successfully caught a small fry.





~~~
Then, a little egret tried to fish but got frustrated when it didn't work out.




~~~
A white-browed wagtail sat on a bridge railing, singing its lovely song.



~~~
A Ditch Jewel Dragonfly made an appearance as the sun warmed up.



~~~
A common gull butterfly also made an appearance.



~~~
In a display of elegance, a Great egret took flight and joined the scene.



~~~
It also managed to catch a small fish.




~~~
An Indian Spot-billed duck engaged in some playful dabbling and seemed to connect with its own reflection in a water.



~~~
It was a day of no disappointments. Even the initially unsuccessful little egret found its groove and successfully caught a small fish.






~~~
Sitting in one spot for birdwatching turned out to be quite successful, and I had the chance to see a variety of birds. It was a pleasant change from my usual strolling, although I still prefer walking around because it gives me more exercise and satisfaction.


I hope you enjoyed the post. Happy Halloween to those who celebrate! Don't forget to leave a comment.

Linked with Mosaic Monday

50 comments:

  1. Hello Shiju,
    You show great photos.
    The geese flying over are beautiful, the fog landscapes with the sun and palm trees are very beautiful.
    The Indian spotted duck and the little grebe are very beautiful, the creepy heron with fish is really sublime.
    I enjoyed your photos.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great variety of avian subjects, mostly coming to you. That is my latest style, just sitting in the back yard, but I cannot hope to see the number and diversity as you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your spooky and non-spooky shots. I also like to keep moving rather than staying still. The few times I have tried staying still it seems to work as the critters come back and pretty soon ignore me. But I would rather still keep moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shot of your arrival with mist is amazing - beautiful bird photos too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love that misty sunrise! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely winding path surrounded by palm trees and a great place to bird watch. However, if I were a fish I would emigrate to other waters … maybe flow, if possible, to a less bird populated lake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is always a lot to see on your post. The gorgeous bird lives captured here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your spooky and non spooky photos are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful collections of photos. Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great reminder why we love wetlands and waterfowl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful spooky images! Spooky fog is so appropriate for the Halloween season -- have the originally-Irish Halloween celebrations actually been adopted in India? Or is there another autumn spooky tradition?
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you! While Halloween itself isn't traditionally celebrated in India, it has gained some popularity in recent years, especially in urban areas. However, India has its own autumn festival, Diwali, which is known for its colorful lights and fireworks. It's a different kind of celebration but shares the festive spirit of the season.

      Delete
  12. Although the first two beautiful photos caught me off guard, they are still beautiful nature photos of birds again. You are a very talented photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, Shiju

    Your photos are always amazing, I like the first fun Halloween image. The second photo of the curvy road and beautiful trees is lovely. Beautiful sunrise, butterflies and flowers. Each bird is photographed beautifully. I loved all your photos! Thank you for linking up and sharing your critter post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many wonderful images. As a fan of waders, I really like the Wood Sandpiper shots. I only get to see one or two a year on migration if I'm lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The tilapia took a bit of a pasting but enabled you to get superb shots of the Pond Heron. Great to see the Wood Sands too, we simply don't get enough of them in them west of England. I think your sitting in one spot is a good method, one I use myself a lot. Try a feeding station.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Shiju :=)
    Sitting and waiting for the birds to come to me always pays off, as it did for you.Fantastic photography of the herons fishing, what great shots. I also like the Scary Indian Pond image, and the beautiful Indian Spot-billed ducks.
    Enjoy your weekend
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Shiju! Your photos in this post are all very, very nice. I am so in love with the Indian Spot Billed Duck. Yowza - those colors! Thanks for sharing with all of us. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me gustaron las foto de la luna y de las aves. Son hermosas. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the mist on the lake very Halloween like. The bird photos are amazing (as always) I love the Heron getting the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos, love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Shiju,
    it's nice that the ducks don't seem to know "racism" and the Aylesbury duck is accepted despite its different appearance. I'm curious whether there will be "mixed" offspring one day...
    I'm glad that you were able to take so many wonderful photos from your viewing spot. (The photos of the “birds catching prey” are particularly great, of course.) But I can understand why you prefer to wander around. Sitting and waiting isn't for everyone - it's not for me either... (unless I have to). A few birds were kind enough to act spooky, appropriate for Halloween. (Is this already celebrated in India, too?)
    All the best, cozy autumn days and a good start to November, Traude
    🍂🎃🍁🎃🍁🎃🍂

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh ~ awesome post for Halloween ~ love the misty sky and moon photos and your birds and their sucessful hunting are awesome along with the other tranquil photos ~ So professionally done ~ thanks, namaste,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed your cyber tour of spooky fog and the birds having their own Halloween celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful post of a birds, Heron eating a fish, my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Some of those photos are either very dreamy...or very spooky! lol Love seeing the Heron with his catch of the day. All of your photos are amazing this week! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful bird watching session you had, I say stay put and let the birds come to you was a wonderful way of capturing life! Yes that heron looks very spooky indeed! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful birds in the morning mist. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful photos!
    The Heron eating the fish pics are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a spooktacular post! The fog is eerie and beautiful. I don't have the patience to linger. We have many of these birds out our back door now, living on a little lake. A great blue heron sleeps in a tree behind our patio. He squawks away every morning, making a fuss. Happy Halloween!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Indian Spot-billed duck looks so beautiful.....
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  31. another awesome post, you really capture the essence of these birds!! your meal time images are outstanding!! the indian spot-billed duck was my favorite, i have never seen this duck, even on a blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Brilliant photos for this time of year the first one made me giggle :-)

    Have an eerietasticated week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  33. Think I prefere the non-spooky ones :) (I'm not used to Haloween). Love the ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That was a fun Halloween edition.
    As usual, I enjoyed all the photographs and thoroughly enjoyed the commentary too. :D

    Have a great week, Shiju. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful photos, as always. We've had some foggy, misty mornings here, too. They always enhance photo opportunities. Have a good week, Shiju.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Seasonal fun for beginn... We looking here forward for joy of the children of the neighbours. Great pictures again from nature. Thank you for sharing at
    MosaicMonday

    Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  37. A lovely collection of sitting in one spot photos. I more like moving around also, but sitting in one spot sometimes has its advantages.

    ReplyDelete
  38. And, did you see a BOO BIRD? Sorry, couldn't resist. Awesome post as usual. That first one......loved it

    ReplyDelete
  39. A very good and high quality photographs, showing us the beauty of all this natural áreas, and the wild life inside. Esplendorous and fascinating work.

    ReplyDelete
  40. As always your photos are spectacular. I like the spot billed duck and the fog, which I think is hard to capture well, but you did it. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy Halloween 🎃👻🕸️ Happy WORDLESS wednesday ✌️ happy everyday 🤗
    beautiful images, as you used to us. I love photos of the sun rising/or setting

    ReplyDelete
  42. The Indian Heron has really a Halloween killer look !

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your photography jumps right off the page. Wow. You're most talented.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  44. Absolutely amazing all your shots of nature and the birds. Love those Grebes.
    I visited you via WORDLESS WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2023
    I linked up this week with = 1. Come and join us at #WordlessWednesday #Photography Wednesday - Saturday. You will find the info under BLOGGING

    ReplyDelete
  45. Shiju - joining you from Mosaic Monday. Yes, your strategy of choosing one point certainly paid off. Your photography is nothing short of amazing! I love the "spooky herons" best of all!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Happy Halloween to you - I love that spooky snap! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your snaps with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love the Halloween pic - thanks for sharing with #Allseasons. My favs are the second shot and the red ball sun in the haze

    ReplyDelete
  48. A marvelous collection of bird images and I loved your creativity with the crane and sun.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.