Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Exploring the Shrunken Shoreline of Hoskote Lake

I went back to the farm area near Hoskote Lake after a long time. My last visit had been in January this year due to the persistent flooding of the lake since November 2021, with no sign of water receding. Even though I had limited space for birdwatching, I saw some amazing birds during my two-hour visit, covering only a 100-meter area. Here are the pictures.



~~~
I got there just as the sun was rising, and the sky held a lot of promise.  I captured a few photos.









~~~
All through the night, it rained, and I collected these droplets as evidence.




~~~
While the light was dim, a Long-tailed shrike made a fleeting appearance and disappeared before I could enjoy a clear view.




~~~
A Red-vented bulbul arrived with its prey and struck a spectacular pose in flight.



~~~
The dim light continued to offer only fleeting glimpses, much like this Jacobin cuckoo.



~~~
And a Tricoloured munia.



~~~
An Oriental magpie-robin sang beautifully to capture my attention.



~~~
A White-browed wagtail, which looked almost identical, sang even more beautifully.



~~~
The Purple-rumped sunbird grew more active as the sun began to warm up.




~~~
I noticed a Common kingfisher diving into the water at a distance. Unfortunately, some branches decided to photobomb my shots. Here are the resulting blurry photos.




~~~
Another branch got in the way of a great shot of an Asian green bee-eater in flight.



 ~~~
I observed a Paddyfield pipit foraging.



 ~~~
In this picture, you can see the terrain left for birdwatching.


 ~~~
The ever-alert sentinel, the Red-wattled lapwing, kept a vigilant watch over the lake for any potential threats.


 ~~~
A Little egret spotted its prey and poised itself for a strike.


 It struck with such intensity that it sent water splashing high into the air.


 ~~~
It deftly snatched a fish.


 ~~~
Next, my eyes were drawn to a charming Zitting cisticola.



~~~
Next, I spotted a Plain Prinia.


 ~~~
A Zitting cisticola landed on a canna plant, appearing to carry some nesting material, I suppose.



~~~
On the same cluster of canna plants, an Ashy Prinia appeared with a bee in its beak.


~~~
I noticed birds at the canna blooms not sipping nectar, and I hoped a nectar-feeding bird would come. Just then, a Purple-rumped sunbird arrived and began sipping nectar.







~~~

It was fascinating to observe how it uses its unique beak to extract nectar.



~~~
My final sighting of the day was this Spotted dove.



~~~
Feel free to drop your comments below if you liked the post. I value your input.

Linked with Mosaic Monday

44 comments:

  1. What a great series of photos you have taken Shiju.
    Beautiful sunrise and the drops on the branches.
    The Long-tailed Shrike, Red-bellied Bulbul, Black-browed Wagtail, Purple-rumped Sunbird are not found in the Netherlands, but perhaps you could see them in a zoo.
    The kingfisher is amazing at diving for a fish.
    I enjoyed your photos again.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those droplets of rain like diamonds clinging from the blades of grasses made an exquisite photograph in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your talent and your love of nature with all of us. I appreciate knowing you. Yes, focusing on something through branches can be very challenging but you did a nice job. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many birds I don't recognise before. Great selection of bird shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An amazing variety of birds in a relatively small area. Love your sunrise photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic photos, Sunrise pics stunning. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I should make "copy and paste" for the comments, your pictures are beautiful they all could be framed and put on the walls, but then probably you have to built a castle !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always good to be out and about when the sun comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always stunning good and that first sunrise is absolut a cracker. Well done again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed the sunrise today: when I went to school, the full moon was still up. Beautiful photograph of the sunrise and the many birds. Thanks for showing! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sunrise image is like a meditation sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Shiju,
    Your sunrise is lovely, gorgeous series of photos. A wonderful variety of birds, all beautifully photographed. Some of my favorites are the Kingfisher diving for food, the Purple-rumped Sunbird, the Red Wattled Lapwing and the Long-tailed Shrike. Wonderful post and photos! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The 2nd half of your post have the best captures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful captures, the rain droplets are like little jewels!

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome.... very beautiful nature....
    great photos of birds.... many new for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing photos of a special place. I am still in awe of your technical ability along with your vision for getting these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never get out that early but maybe I'll try to get a few early morning hikes in this winter. Love seeing the birds in flight and fishing for their dinner! The droplets of water make pretty photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Your photos never fail to surprise me. I love the rain drops. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The second shot and the bird leaping into flight are fabulous #MySundaySnapshot

    ReplyDelete
  20. ...Shiju, the sunrise and action shots are fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another fine set of photos. How on earth you capture shots of cisticolas i do not know. For me they never ever keep still

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow! You got some amazing photos considering you were only there 2 hours and in such a small area. The sunrise is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Shiju :=)
    It's amazing how many birds you managed to capture in a small area.I like the photo of the field with the two figures, which would make a beautiful painted picture. I learnt something today, as I always thought that nectar sipping birds drank from inside the flower but it's not so. Lovely shots of the Zitting Cisticola a charmng little bird with pale subdued colours, which I had the pleasure of photographing in the wetlands of the Algarve,
    Enjoy your week
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful photography! The sunrise is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Shiju,
    now I finally know where all the water is that we are missing here - in India in Hoskote Lake ;-DD!
    I also know the problem with the branches getting in the way when I'm taking quick photos - but unfortunately we have to go through that. You've captured so many beautiful animals and spectacular moments again, a few branches can't stop that. The purple rumped sunbird gets the nectar like the bananaquit that we met in Costa Rica - I didn't know this method before, only the hummingbird method.
    All the best and a happy new week
    Traude
    🍁🌾🌻🪶🍂 🪶🌻🌾🍁
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/09/ruckblick-auf-den-rostrosen-sommer-2023.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are opening sky photos are spectacular! Glad to take another look at them. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome and creative photos of nature gifts right before your eyes ~ namaste ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful photos as always espcially the sunrise :-)

    Have a shorelinetastic week 👍







    ReplyDelete
  29. I do love the sun and moon and your photos are always so alluring...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  30. excellent shots of Jacobin cuckoo.... love it

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stunning pics! Each one is just outstanding! Love the sunbird on the canna shots.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stunning again.

    Happy MosaicMonday

    Thank you so much being part at
    MosaicMonday

    Have a fine week. Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  33. every week you give us great photos, thank you! ♥ Happy Wordless wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your talent behind the lens is undeniable, Shiju 👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  35. Superbe fotografii. Cea cu picaturile de ploaie este geniala.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The world changed for us all with the pandemic and I am glad to know you have been back to take more pics when and where you can. Thank you for linking up your blog post this week at Denyse’s Words and Pics for #WWandPics. Warm wishes and appreciation from Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such stunning sun rise snaps - Thanks for taking part and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow ! The sunrise photos are majestic . The capture of birds in their unique stance is a treat to eyes. The diving and playing of Kingfisher shots is a pure joy to observe as an avid bird enthusiast. The purple sunbird treating upon the nectar of glorious Canna lily is a shot which can be easily pass as book cover . Thanks for taking part in Garden Affair. I really look forward for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have to repeat myself : Your photos are gorgeous ! Most of the birds I have never seen, I have to admit that birds are beautiful but it's not my favorite animal ! I am a cat woman ! I used to have 4 now I am left with one.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.