Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Chirpy Charms of Kannamangala

It's always a delightful experience to go birdwatching at Kannamangala Lake. During my visit last week, I had a truly enjoyable time observing some lively avian residents during the golden hour of birding. Without further ado, let me share with you some of the pictures I captured during my visit.



~~~
In the midst of an overcast monsoon morning, the sun made its valiant attempt to break free from the veil of clouds. While the lighting conditions were not ideal for photography, it was perfect for a refreshing birdwatching session, without feeling tired.



~~~
Little egrets and pond herons defied the proverb "birds of a feather flock together" as they gathered to fish together.



~~~
With its loud calls, the little bird, ashy prinia, has an incredible talent for capturing everyone's attention.




~~~
I spotted three varieties of kingfishers during my visit, including this pair of white-throated kingfishers. Their striking blue feathers and hunting prowess added beauty and excitement.




~~~
A little grebe serenely floated across the water.



~~~
Oh, it seems the white-throated kingfisher and the white-browed wagtail have discovered the secret to bird camaraderie: their shared love for the color white! 



~~~
One lone eurasian moorhen swimming in solitude.



~~~
The second variety of kingfisher I encountered was the charming Common Kingfisher, also known as the Small Blue Kingfisher.  Ever alert to its surroundings, he swiftly disappeared upon detecting my presence.



~~~
I liked the beautiful hues of the freshly sprouted leaves.




~~~
On my last visit to the lake, I came across an Aylesbury duck. It seemed like this duck, usually found on farms, had managed to escape and make itself at home in the wild. I was glad to see it settling in nicely with its newfound friends, behaving just like any other wild duck in the area.





~~~
I was thrilled to come across a pair of pied kingfishers, marking the third variety of kingfisher I spotted during my visit.





~~~
The Indian spot-billed duck was in a playful mood, hopping and fluttering around.







~~~
From a distance, I happily observed the pied kingfisher as it dove into the water time and again. 




~~~
Though it often returned empty-handed, after a while, it was rewarded with a successful catch.

~~~
A white-throated kingfisher making its unique calls.



~~~
Indian pond heron in action, engaged in fishing.



~~~
After a successful fishing session, a great cormorant was taking some time to dry.



~~~
Similarly, I also came across a pair of little cormorants engaged in the post-fishing ritual of drying themselves. 



~~~
As I observed the scene, another great cormorant eagerly plunged into the water for its next fishing expedition. 



~~~
A tiny Indian palm squirrel added a dash of cuteness to the surroundings.




~~~
The Aylesbury duck seemed to bask in the spotlight, exuding a divine aura.



~~~
I was drawn to a Little egret as it carefully targeted its prey. 



~~~
It skillfully caught a fish with precision. 

~~~
I managed to capture the moment it swallowed its meal.

~~~
Here's a close-up shot.

~~~
After what seemed like a long night of fishing, I spotted a Black-crowned night heron peacefully asleep. 



~~~
Determined to capture a shot, I patiently waited for 45 minutes, hoping it would eventually turn its head. 



~~~
Finally, my patience paid off as the heron woke up and took flight, providing me with these shots to cherish.




~~~
Before calling it a day, I had the pleasure of photographing a great cormorant showcasing its impressive poses just for me. It was a fantastic way to end my visit to Kannamangala Lake.




~~~
I hope you enjoyed the post! I would love to hear your thoughts and impressions. Please feel free to leave your comments below and share your feedback. 

Linked with Mosaic Monday

48 comments:

  1. Your most glorious post ever! What a delight! Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great series of photos.
    The kingfishers are beautiful, this species does not occur in the Netherlands.
    The species you see in photo 10 do occur here, but here they are rare.
    I think the little Indian palm squirrel is really cute.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Escaped farmyard ducks are common around here too. They revert to their wild ways quite quickly it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing series of pics, Just loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved all the birds and the impressive sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing sky you had to star your day. Gorgeous bird photography!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really overcast day and what beauties you shared

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too many compelling shots to name just one when bird watching at Kannamangala Lake, a place that is definitely rich with wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many delightful photos! The birds and water fowl flying and swimming are wonderful, action shots. I loved the monsson morning photo as it reminds me of our skies when winter storms are approaching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Compelling to restart my birding passion. Its been quite long since I shot the avian world

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow great shots again and so much different kingfishers. Unbeleavable. Great posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful trip to get all these amazing photos...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Those blue and red kingfishers are something!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really captured some wonderful images of kingfishers! Each species has such beautiful and colorful markings. Thanks for the beautiful pictures.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish Kingfishers lived here too...they are so pretty.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photos are very beautiful! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello,
    Amazing photos and captures of all these lovely birds. I would love to see the three species of Kingfishers, awesome sightings. The sky shot and the leaves are beautiful photos. Another great post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. Thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bird photographs are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...an overcast monsoon morning can be magical.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Always such a thrill to browse through your work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great variety of birds you found. I love especially the colorful birds that we don't have where I live. You are such a great photographer and very patient.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that Egret with the catch of the day and the beautiful Black Crowned night heron. But the Kingfishers are my favs of the day. They are all just gorgeous and you took such sharp good photos of them. In flight....amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That lake is beautiful and fantastic photos! I think the kingfishers are my favorites of the birds in these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Awesome series of photos of such colorful birds ~ your love of photography shows in your very professional pics ~ thank you for being you.

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  25. As always, your birds are colorful and your action shots (well, all of your shots) are amazing. You seem to outdo yourself with each post.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful sky to start your day. Fantastic and gorgeous bird photos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely stunning are the birds that showed, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The blue and brown kingfishers are quite amazing. Lovely. Thanks for joining in with #Allseasons

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Indian palm squirrel reminds me somewhat of our chipmunks. And as always, your photos never fail to delight the eye.
    Thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-things-kids-do.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. What lovely photos as always amazing and very clear and colourful too :-)

    Have a pecktastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  31. Some nice crisp and clear pictures here. I never knew that one could get to see such a variety at Kannamangala Lake. Patience is the watch word I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  32. king fisher is one of beautiful birds.... love it

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a beautiful visit. Sometimes I wish sounds came with your photos. You live in a fantastic place overflowing with nature.

    ReplyDelete
  34. A nice group of egrets and pond herons. Love the Kingfishers! In fact, a few Common Kingfishers lives not far from me. Everytime they are spotted, bird watchers flock to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Incredible photos! Some of these birds look very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful to see your post is like being able to travel again. How I miss those birding trips.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wonderful as always -- you are so lucky to have three different kinds of Kingfishers. Your comment about the old "birds of a feather" adage made me smile. One of my favorite things to do in Birding is finding different species feeding or just hanging out together. It seems like such a peaceful happy thing!! I loved the flight shots you got after waiting 45 minutes -- patience is the sign of a good birder! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like those Kingfishers! A wonderful series of shots and thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lots of kingfishers, this time. I don't think I've seen the Pied Kingfishers before. They look lovely! The egret n' prey is a pic for keeps, eh?!
    Lovely photographs as usual, even though it was a grey day.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my goodness, this is the first time I was here and I know it's not going to be the last! You're pictures are absolutely breath-taking!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great photos! So much delicacy and purity in every captured moment!
    Happy WW 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow, what great shots. So beautiful.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a beautiful set of rewarding images Shiju. Your patience is commendable and mindful! Love the pops of bird colour in the often dull tree branches. Great to see you sharing a post from your blog on this week’s Wednesday’s Words and Pics Link Up at Denyse Whelan Blogs To Connect. I hope to see you next week too. Warm wishes, Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Stunning photos as ever. I was particularly interested to see the different varieties of kingfisher. We only get the common kingfisher here in the UK and even that is a very rare sight! I haven't seen one for years.

    ReplyDelete
  45. You've got an amazing talent in photography, I love the way you've captured these shots. Thanks so much for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  46. You have an amazing eye for capturing the photos that you take. Love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.