Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Winged Encounters At Hoskote

Last Sunday morning, I ventured to Hoskote Lake amidst an overcast sky. While the sun remained hidden, a few avian inhabitants graciously unfurled their wings. Here are the pictures from those pleasant encounters.



~~~
At 6 am, the lake basked in the gentle glow of early morning light.



~~~
The sky appeared captivating with ever-changing clouds.




~~~
I saw several Baya Weaver nests at various stages of construction. Some of these nests even appeared to be occupied by nestlings.



~~~
While making my way down from the road to the ivy gourd farm, I felt a bit cautious about encountering any guard dogs. To my relief, one of them approached me without barking or showing aggression. It stood nearby, curiously observing as I searched for birds.




To avoid intimidating the guard dog, I decided to pretend to ignore its presence and refrained from taking any pictures.

~~~

Peafowls' calls pierced through the air with high-pitched screams.

I spotted a peafowl hidden among the fronds of a coconut palm.



~~~
After a patient wait, I spotted a peahen elegantly perched atop a different coconut palm.



~~~
The peahen's lofty perch made it impossible for me to escape its watchful gaze.

As soon as the peahen noticed my presence, it swiftly took flight and landed on a distant tree, beyond my reach.




~~~
My attention was drawn to a red-vented bulbul that appeared nearby.



~~~
Seemingly inspired by the peahen, the red-vented bulbul took flight. 



~~~
Next, I encountered a spotted dove. Unlike the previous birds, the dove seemed unperturbed by my presence.



~~~
A purple sunbird emerged, accompanied by a spider-like insect in its beak. 



~~~
I was able to capture the moment as the sunbird swallowed its prey.



~~~
I observed a male Baya weaver attentively watching over its nest, ensuring the safety and protection of its offspring.



~~~
A purple heron skulking in the vicinity. 



~~~
Continuing the trend of the morning, the purple heron took an abrupt flight, revealing its awe-inspiring wings in all their glory.



 ~~~
The birds today were alert towards potential threats, including lurking birdwatchers like myself. As soon as the long-tailed shrike sensed my presence, it promptly began to emit warning calls.


 ~~~
The shrike quickly resorted to a furtive attempt to conceal itself from my view.


~~~
It was now the red-wattled lapwing's turn to be rattled. 


~~~
The red-wattled lapwing continued to scream, repeatedly uttering a phrase that sounded like "pity you did it." 


 ~~~
Next in sight was a plain tiger butterfly.


 ~~~
I returned to the Baya weaver colony to find the male weavers diligently engaged in constructing their nests.







 ~~~
I caught sight of a female Indian robin.


 
~~~

The male weavers made frequent visits to the nests, arriving approximately every 10 minutes, carrying grasshoppers to feed the hungry fledglings. 



 ~~~
The female weavers also play an important role in the nest-building process. They would arrive at the nests and meticulously add the finishing touches, ensuring that every detail was in place. 



~~~
I spotted a Large Grey Babbler going about its regular routine. Engaged in its typical behavior of foraging and socializing.


 The day culminated with a vivid display of the Royal Poinciana tree in full bloom.


I hope you enjoyed reading the post. Your comments and feedback are welcome!

Linked with Mosaic Monday

44 comments:

  1. Wow - I enjoyed our trek with the birds. I felt like I was a ghostly presence during your trip. Love all your photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a gorgeous and productive day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baya Weaver looks so special to see. The nestlings appear like an interesting image with the texture. Beautiful nature photos as usual

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent shots. Please provide exact location to look for bird watching in Hosakote lake. I would too be happy to explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hoskote lake has experienced flooding in the regular birding areas for the past three years. But don't worry, you can still enjoy birdwatching from the road near Gangamma temple. Just take a stroll along the road and keep an eye out for birds on both sides.

      Delete
  5. What a great series of photos.
    Many species do not occur in the Netherlands, well, some we can admire in a zoo such as the Baya weaver.
    The red-bellied bulbul is not even found in a zoo.
    I enjoyed your photos.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pictures once again. The stand-out one for me is the Purple Heron taking flight, magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If a guard dog can be intimidated by a camera it’s not much of a guard dog. If it became enraged by it and sprang into attack mode, that would be a more logical sequence for a guard dog. Thank goodness you encountered the docile one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great collection of birds that you found. That purple heron is striking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing how some birds built their nests! Thanks for sharing all photos and info.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello
    Another great outing and lovely sightings, I am glad the dog was not aggressive. Pretty sky captures and the Royal Poinciana tree is gorgeous. I really love all the birds and photos, I would enjoy seeing the Baya Weaver and their nest. The Purple Heron, the Bulbul, the Shrike and the cool Lapwing. The butterfly is pretty. Great collection of photos! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are wonderful birds! So different than ours here in Canada! Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Purple Heron taking flight is a winner!
    Such amazing encounters, Shiju!
    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many super photos again. I was especially drawn to the fascinating Baya Weaver nests, Simply amazing. And I had to Google "gourd" as we don't have them in the UK. You played it cool with the guard dog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...Shiju, one again you captured some glorious images. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A fantastic collection of various birds. Beautifully captured photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Awesome photos of our feathered friends ~ many unique to me ~ Bayer nests are intriguing ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Baya weaver, and I do love its nest, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those Baya Weaver nests are really interesting, you can see a lot of work goes into them.
    What wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The gourd-like Baye Weaver nests are always so interesting to see! Such marvelous construction. The purple heron taking flight was a breathtaking sight!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh... guard dogs are unpredictable. I think on our Chow-Chow. He was a good dog but nobody knosw it. He fight with a Rottweiler!

    Your Post is amazing as ever. Thank you being part at
    MosaicMonday

    Many greetings from Augsburg from Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome photos.
    Beautiful photos and story.
    My Monday post is HERE

    MUCH💚LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fascinating photos. The heron's wings - WOW! And the weavers are fascinating. I wonder if they lose a lot of nestlings from the bottom of the nest - it looks like the hole would be tempting to explore for a curious young bird.
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/06/it-has-begun.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. What beautiful photos as always :-)

    Have a Poincianatastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great shots! We don’t have weaverbirds so I find them fascinating. I love the picture of the bulbul in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fascinating photos! Thanks for sharing! Happy WW!
    https://vis-si-realitate-2.blogspot.com/2023/06/venetia-miercurea-fara-cuvinte.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those nests are so interesting and amazing that nature does that. Amazing photos as always. Thanks for sharing with Pictorial Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such an amazing variety of birds; I love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The birds are gorgeous and I like seeing those unusual nests. I always enjoy your photos. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! The colorful wingspan of the purple heron. So beautiful. The weaver nests are different than the oriole or oropendola, since they are open on the bottom. What a delightful nature post!

    ReplyDelete
  30. peahen is a fantastic bird.... great shots

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very fruitful outing. Beautiful birds in flight. Looks like cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the Blue Heron's photos. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning photos as ever. Love the colour of the purple heron and those nests are incredible! I've never seen a peahen (or peacock) fly.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my, capturing those wingspans in full colour...so amazing aren't they? Goodness me, I am late in my reply to your post for Wednesday’s Words and Pics. Thank you so much for being part of the community! Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such beautiful birds and some awesome photography - Thanks so much for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear Shiju,
    It's a wonderful sight to see peacocks in the wild 😍. Here in Austria they only exist in zoos, some parks or farms as "ornamental birds", but seeing them fly from one palm tree to the next is an extraordinary experience for me. The purple heron's wings are really impressive, and you've also captured such beautiful other bird scenes for us - big compliment! Add to that the pretty butterfly and the magnificent blooming Royal Poinciana tree, it was a treat!
    Warm July greetings and all the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/06/lavendelzeit-bei-den-rostrosen.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. As always, I am captivated by your photos. This time, it was the birds in flight, that caught my eye the most, along with the male Weavers hard at work. Nice to see a species that shares the work with the female of the species.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Greetings and thank you for such lovely photos, you live in such a beautiful area, and having all those amazing birds and animals up close is wonderful. Enjoy your week! I posted a couple photos of my Peacock in my Saturday's Critter post!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh yes! thoroughly enjoyed it. The colony of weaver-bird nests is such a cool sight.
    And the spread- out wings of the heron was -- Wow!! :)
    Superb pictures as always!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great kingfishers shots there

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great photos again. We share the Common Kingfisher but sadly not the other Indian specialities. The picture of the two Pieds together against the dark background is very pleasing. Purple Heron - super!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.