Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Remarkable Encounters at Muthanallur

Sunday morning came, and I impulsively visited Muthanallur lake, located 30 kilometers from home. The sky was cloudy, and rain seemed likely. Despite the uncertainty, I took a chance and went anyway.

I had two main birds in mind - the Blue Faced Malkoha, which I barely saw last time, and the Yellow Bittern, which I never got a good photo of. Luckily, I had the chance to observe both of them up close, and I also captured some other interesting sights. Here are the pictures.



~~~
I set out early and arrived at Muthanallur at daybreak. The bikers were still riding with their headlights on.



~~~
I noticed the birds were already awake, and I observed a male Baya weaver attempting to court a mate near its incomplete nest.

~~~
I strolled along the trail, taking in the surroundings.


~~~
I came across a Black Drongo fiercely guarding its territory.


~~~
The bird I had been hoping to spot, the Blue-faced Malkoha, finally revealed itself for a moment.



~~~
For the following 15 minutes, it fluttered around amidst the dense branches playfully exposing itself piece by piece.





~~~
Spotting a caterpillar, it wasted no time and swiftly made its move towards it.



~~~
The Malkoha followed its usual practice of breaking the captured caterpillar by banging it against the branch. This allowed me to take some up-close photographs.







~~~
After accomplishing my first objective,I proceeded forward in search of the Yellow Bittern. Along the way, I spotted a Coromandel Marsh Dart damselfly.



~~~
A Milkweed Seed Pod, ready to release its seeds with delicate parachutes, ensuring their wide dispersal.

~~~
As I got closer to the stream, my ears were filled with the sounds of numerous birds calling out.



~~~
Out of nowhere, an Indian Grey Hornbill caught me off guard. In a state of sudden panic, I hurriedly clicked my camera and managed to capture a shot of it.



~~~
However, before vanishing, a Purple-rumped Sunbird graciously posed for me. 





~~~
I came across a Stinking Passionflower. When its leaves are crushed, they release a strong and unpleasant odor, giving it its "stinking" reputation. 

What makes this plant even more intriguing is its ability to trap insects on its bracts. These bracts exude a sticky substance containing digestive enzymes, making the Stinking Passionflower a protocarnivorous plant with carnivorous traits.



~~~
A Brahminy Kite in a hunting or stealing mission, soaring through the sky with great determination.





~~~
The Purple Heron's flight is a captivating display of grace and beauty.





~~~
I also encountered a Pioneer butterfly.



~~~
I spotted a White-cheeked Barbet next.



~~~
I glimpsed a small Blue Kingfisher in the distance.



~~~
The Kingfisher was completely absorbed, concentrating intently on a potential prey.




~~~
I observed a female Baya weaver as she assumed control of nest-building duties, expertly adding her touches after taking over from the male, who had already completed the initial stages up to the helmet stage.



~~~
When no potential mate shows interest in the nest, the male Baya modifies or adds additional stories to the nest, hoping to capture the attention and approval of a female. This sometimes leads to the formation of nests with unusual or one-of-a-kind shapes.



~~~
I was lucky to capture an image of an Oriental Honey Buzzard in flight, clutching a bee it had extracted from a honeycomb.



~~~
In flight, the honey buzzard skillfully dismantles the bee, piece by piece.

~~~
At a distant tree branch, a White-rumped Munia sat perched, unmoving and seemingly undisturbed by its surroundings.



~~~
Then, to my astonishment, I finally encountered my second goal of the day: the Yellow Bittern. 



~~~
The Yellow Bittern surprised me by perching just a few feet away, posing in an exaggerated manner as if it knew I was eager to capture its beauty. I took numerous photos to capture the extraordinary encounter.




~~~
This unexpected encounter reminded me of Paulo Coelho's famous saying, "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."



~~~
After successfully achieving my goals, I made my way back to the car. However, during my stroll back, I came across a few more captivating creatures. One of them was a Common Jezebel butterfly.





~~~
The Ashy Prinia I saw was in full voice.



~~~
At a distance, an Indian Grey Hornbill perched, observing its surroundings with a watchful eye.


~~~
Sensing my presence, the Indian Grey Hornbill took flight, giving me the opportunity to capture my second in-flight shot of this bird.



~~~
Next in my path, I came across a Common Gull Butterfly.



~~~
At a Baya Weaver colony, male birds displayed their partially built nests to passing females by flapping their wings, calling out, and hanging from their nests.






~~~
The last bird I saw was a Cinereous Tit in flight, concluding my day of bird-watching.



~~~
Despite a slight drizzle, the rain wasn't severe enough to make me retreat. The thrilling sightings kept me going. I hope you enjoyed the post. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section.

Linked with Mosaic Monday


52 comments:

  1. the Blue-faced Malkoha looks pretty..... never seen it in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great series of photos you were able to take.
    The Blue-faced Malkoha is a very special bird, it does not come here, I have never seen it in a zoo.
    You managed to get some nice close-up shots.
    Also very beautiful the Indian Gray Hornbill, the Purple-rumped Sunbird and the White-rumped Munia are great to see.
    I am glad that I can see so many beautiful bird species on your blog, most species are not found in the Netherlands.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! amazing pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are exceptional ! The birds almost flew out of my screen ! and I have never seen nests like that. It must be wonderful to go out into the nature and watching birds. My grandpa sometimes took me at 4 am into the woods to a high point from where we watched deer and other animals. I was maybe 8 years old and still remember the smell of the wood so early morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big beautiful eyes on the Malkoha. Wonderful colors on the Sunbird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you set out with two goals and accomplish both of them it’s a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These may be your most beautiful photos yet. The birds, the butterflies---these are stunning. I'd say my favorite is the Common Jezebel butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Astoundingly crisp and beautiful images of birds and butterflies, particularly the Malkoha and Yellow Bittern. Thank for such an up-close and personal experience despite the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treat to view birds of all sorts so clearly … many are not typical in my part of the world. You show how there is nothing common about any of these creatures that you photograph so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots of the birds and insects. You always show a sense of drama and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Blue-faced Malkoha has a cyan blue colour around its eyes. So special! The rest of the finds at the lake are special too

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once again you've treated us to some woderful shots. I've never before seen a butterfly as beautiful as the Common Jezebel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos are always so excellent, I hope that you sell prints and spread your talent. Thank you so much for linking up and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Truly amazing photos, Always loved your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...those nests are amazing...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, such an amazing butterfly has "common" in its name! I don't know that I've seen, even in photos, such a pretty one. I love how bitterns look that way! Those nests... just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos! I have never seen this passion flower before, and the butterflies is so pretty. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two goals, two birds! And so many others as well. I have never heard of the Blue-faced Malkoha before, and it’s spectacular. We also once saw the normally-elusive bittern (of a different species) posing for us in a tree, to our surprise. You are such a patient and skillful photographer that it’s amazing.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful Sunbird and heron.Interesting nests, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can see why you so wanted to see the Malkoha – it’s very unusual and quite stunning. Your encounter with the Yellow Bittern reminds me of my own time in Greece with the Little Bittern. Exciting creatures because they are so shy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. To have the oportunity for to visit this savage and natural Áreas, in really incredible. You posted very good photographs of your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello,
    Gorgeous photos as always, I enjoyed seeing all of these birds, The Malkoha and the Bittern are wonderful sightings. I like the Hornbills, the Weavers and the lovely Kingfishers. The butterflies are gorgeous and the passion flower is beautiful. Great post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know I should try to get out earlier but it's hard! Love the birds and have to say that my favs today are the butterfly photos. They are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ...thank you for getting up early to take me along to see the sights. The butterflies are a treat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely a delight going through your post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are blessed with a wonderful nature. You must take care of it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous photos Shiju, I love the Yellow Bittern, fabulous shooting. And was a Blue-faced Malkoha, Purple-rumped Sunbird and the Butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Awesome and professional series of colorful birds and nature gems ~ the Blue-Faced Malkona was fascinating and your photography superb~ Wow~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  30. The purple heron in flight shots are fantastic. Really fabulous work. Those nests tho, so crazy! #NaturesNotes

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes, I agree with all the other comments. In my opinion, you are an artist with camera. Flying birds are difficult to catch. A wonderful Post again with many interesting animals and flowers. Thank you for sharing. Hope you are being part again in MosaicMonday... it would be a pleasure for me.
    Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fantastic photos! The Malkoha is interesting. Your butterfly and purple heron pictures are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning as always. And no wonder you wanted to capture photos of the yellow bittern - what a lovely bird!
    I'm always fascinated by the weavers. If we have anything similar in the U.S., it's certainly not on the mid- and upper east coast where I've lived. Their nests are a wonder of construction and it must be amazing to watch their construction.
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/07/a-visit-to-sarah-p-duke-garden.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your wildlife always looks so exotic and beautiful. Today's post is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your photos are always a pleasure to see. Up close and stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What beautiful photos thanks for sharing I enjoyed then :-)

    Have a tweettastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks also for sharing with #Allseasons

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm glad the universe conspired and let you spot the Yellow Bittern. Thank you for photographing it and showing it to us. That IS a unique looking bird. Interesting.

    The heron looks very graceful in flight! It was nice to learn about the Stinking Passionflower, too. I don't think I've seen it before.

    Great pics as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. These photos are so great!
    Movement, grace, collor... Wow, how wonderful ist the nature!
    Happy WW!🤗

    ReplyDelete
  40. Absolutely breath taking! Awesome photos! Gave me goosebumps!!! Beautiful!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. lol, you have so many interesting species around I would love to travel again to see them for myself. But that will not happen. At least I can see yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. What an amazing series! I love it! You are very skilled doing photos!
    Happy WW and a fine week!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a collection! The stripes on the yellow bittern are beautiful. But all of the birds and butterflies are stunning. You had a productive morning outside. I need to get a camera with a better zoom again.

    ReplyDelete
  44. So many beautiful photos. I just love all the textures and colors. I am pretty amazed that you manage to capture so many birds in flight too.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm amazed at all the nature names you know. I'm lucky to know when I see a Robin or sparrow. haha Awesome photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  46. The owl looks fabulous. The king fisher is stunning too.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Those colourful butterflies were amazing...wow. Thank YOU so much for sharing your post for Wednesday’s Words and Pics. I appreciate your presence as part of the community! Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  48. What stunning pictures as usual. I'm so glad you got to photograph the two birds you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love how those photos are hung, I might have to borrow that idea! Thanks for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a superb collection of photos I would be happy with anyone of these in my camera roll! I loved the way you build the story in this post. I felt I was with you in person in search of these birds and the incidental excitement of the other sightings along the way is wonderful - the nests, the butterflies, the buzzard and the bee what a treat to join you today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.