Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Our Weeklong Kochi Adventure

I was off to Kochi for a week with my dear wife, attending my nephew's wedding. For those seven days, we happened to be in Kochi during a major festival and explored the local sights under scorching heat. Once we returned, we decided to take it easy and skip any new trips, which is why the blog also went on a little vacation! 

Here are the pics...




~~~
The view from our stay in Kochi.



~~~
As the wedding day arrived, my wife had the chance to dazzle in a saree and other embellishments. Below are a few photos of us on that special day.








~~~
As our visit coincided with the Onam festival, which celebrates the birth anniversary of Hindu god Vishnu's dwarf avatar, Vamana, we made a special visit to the Vamana temple in Thrikkakara, Kochi.



~~~
The Thrikkakara Vamanamoorthy Temple is a rare Hindu temple in India devoted to Lord Vamana/Vishnu and has a history spanning approximately two thousand years. To beat the scorching heat, we opted to visit it in the early morning.




 ~~~
We arrived at the temple just as it was gearing up for a day filled with festivities. Take a look at the Nettipattam, it's a gold and copper ornament worn on the forehead of the temple elephant. 



 ~~~
Shortly, the temple elephant will perform the ritual of carrying the deity on a stroll around the temple.

Picture Credit@harisree_18



~~~
We made an offering of lotus flowers to the deity.


~~~
The temple drummer carries a special idakka(percussion instrument) adorned with colorful pompoms.


~~~
My wife held a sacred umbrella for a photo.


~~~
At home, we made the customary pookkalam (flower carpet), with the centerpiece symbolizing the deity.




~~~
On another day, we took a trip to Kumbalangi, a quaint fishing village, to witness the sunset.




~~~
Kumbalangi was a beautiful place with plenty of photo opportunities.


~~~
While we strolled through the village, we came across a parade of ducks.



~~~
My wife got excited by the wall murals and couldn't resist posing with them.



~~~
We reached the sunset point, and the presence of Chinese fishing nets added to the overall charm of the scene.






~~~
We spotted a Brahminy kite soaring in the sky.


~~~
We couldn't help but chuckle when we spotted a cute Shih Tzu, a dog breed with a name that sounds quite similar to mine.



~~~
The moon was already up even before the sun had set.



~~~
As the sun was setting, we decided to strike some clichéd sunset couple poses just for fun.






~~~
It was a truly beautiful evening.







~~~
The following evening, we ventured to visit Bolgatty Palace, which is situated on an island bearing the same name.



~~~
Bolgatty Palace is a stunning colonial-era mansion that exudes grandeur and charm. It was originally built by the Dutch in 1744.




~~~
The palace is a beautiful example of Dutch and Portuguese architectural styles, featuring large open spaces, sloping roofs, and wide verandas. Its vibrant green surroundings and a backdrop of serene backwaters make it a captivating sight. 












~~~
The little photobomber's moment.



~~~
The evening sky was exceptionally beautiful.




~~~
On the final day of our trip, we made an early morning visit to Mangalavanam for some birdwatching.

Mangalavanam covers an area of approximately 2.74 hectares (about 6.77 acres). This relatively small but ecologically significant space is located within the heart of the bustling city of Kochi.

One of the unique features of Mangalavanam is its mangrove ecosystem. These salt-tolerant trees play a crucial role in stabilizing the coastline and providing habitats for various marine and bird species.







~~~
As we entered the area, our attention was immediately drawn to bats hanging from the tall trees.








~~~
We encountered a Northern Jeweled Spider that had captured its prey. 



~~~
A statue of an elephant mother and calf made from cane.



The swarms of mosquitoes were quite a nuisance, and you can easily tell by the expression on my wife's face.




~~~
An Oriental Magpie-Robin hopped about in the foliage near the water.




~~~
We caught a glimpse of a female Asian Koel.



~~~
The heat was becoming intense, evident from the beads of sweat on my face.



~~~
My wife noticed something perched high up in the tree; it appeared to be an owl.




~~~
I climbed a nearby watchtower in my eagerness to get a better view, but later, a forest guard reprimanded me. The tower was in a state of disrepair, and its use was prohibited due to safety concerns.



~~~
During the brief minute I spent on the tower, I managed to capture a few photos of the Jungle Owlet, which was a lifer for me. After descending, I promptly apologized to the guard for my actions.




Thus, our eventful week in Kochi came to a close, and we returned to Bangalore.



I hope you enjoyed the post, and I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Linked with Mosaic Monday

49 comments:

  1. WOW, dear Shiju, your wife was gorgeous in her sari from your nephew's wedding! 😃 (Of course you weren't "unpretty" either, but the traditional women's clothing is just true splendor!) I have good memories of Kochi and the Chinese fishing nets, maybe they'll interest you - https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2014/01/sudindien-7-kapitel-cochin-und.html - and also with the sight of the temple elephant. When we were in South India in 2013, I was blessed by temple elephants TWICE (in different temples) and it was such a beautiful experience! We were even allowed to take photos during one of these two experiences: https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2014/03/sudindien-13-kapitel-die-tempel-von.html
    Your "clichéd sunset couple poses just for fun" were a great idea, they turned out wonderfully - and so did the gorgeous sunset pictures with the fishing nets!
    How nice (despite the swarms of mosquitoes) that in addition to the cultural highlights you also experienced natural highlights with Mangalavanam. From the photographer's perspective, I can confirm that climbing the tower was worth it for the photos of the Jungle Owlet!
    All the best, Traude
    🌻🌺❤️🌺🌻
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/08/die-tiere-vom-tiergarten-schonbrunn.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your nephew and his new wife and to you for making a holiday out of their wedding. Your wife is an exceptional model and, of course, I was particularly drawn to the picture of her holding an umbrella as well as her merges with the mural. Also, your evening shots are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very beautiful post. Thank you so much! You both look wonderful. I wish you many many blessings 🙏🏽

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful and well-documented tour. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a good-looking couple, and the photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really have a great time through this journal. The mural and culture traditions are fabulous to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photos. Your wife is beautiful and you two are a handsome couple. I love your wife's saris. Really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful photos, also very beautiful species of birds.
    You are a beautiful couple together.
    I enjoyed your blog and I wish you a very nice weekend.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful photos, Greetings.
    Thanks a lot for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, let me say how wonderful anyway that traditional dress for women is. Those saries really look great on your wife. Further, those nets as background for pictures of the setting sun, beautifully done. Hope your cousin's wedding is a wonderful moment in your family history and given the number of photoos you take you can enjoy it for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, beautiful photos, Shiju.
    You and your wife make such a gorgeous couple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your wife with her big smile, traditional dress and her playful attitude showing up in the photographs. Sunset photographs were my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Big WOW. What a post!
    I had some Indian colleagues (when we still worked in the office for real) - they never told about their home.
    And I didn´t dare to ask. And never understood what they want in cold, dark Germany...
    These are wonderful pics of you and your wife. And a real elephant. Wow. His feet compared to barefoot human ones... One toe is a foot!
    The pompoms, the umbrella - with the smartphone, too! Was that on purpose? It beautifully shows tradition connected with today!
    And the flower carpet. Oh, wow. (I repeat myself).
    Wearing glasses I would not... but the boat-pic is beautiful, too.
    Fun with the murals! Why not join Sami on Monday-Mural with these?
    You two look so happy, thanks for the smiles! Aw, and all the sunset-scenes.
    You are a great photographer. Love the pic of your wife from the inside-out window. And the photobomber :-)
    I love bats. They look like the fruit bats in Australia. Ours are "naked". And for once Charlotte with prey!
    Hubby bought "Moskinto"-strips against mossie-bites for our trip to Perth.
    We have heat today again, too. after a bad, cold summer we enjoy this huge! Cute owl! I just read a book on them - interesting!
    Yes. I did enjoy this post immensly - thank you for sharing, I have to pop in again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,
    Beautiful photos from your trip! Your wife looks beautiful in her sari and I love her lovely photos posing with the murals. The flower carpet is beautiful. Gorgeous sunset images. I love the bats, the ducks and the owl, congrats on your lifer. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thanks for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All your photos are beautiful, and very enjoyable. I know so little about India that everything is new to me, the scenery, the birds, and details such as the fishing nets. As always you have a fabulous eye for capturing such great places and creatures.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. An other Wedding is allways a rembering, I believe... You and your wife are a very beautiful couple too. A quote, which I like most is for your nephew...

    But let there be spaces in your togetherness and
    let the winds of the heavens dance between you.
    Love one another but make not a bond of love:
    let it rather be a moving sea between the shores
    of your souls.
    __Khalil Gibran

    There are again many wonderful photos, scenes of fantastic moments.

    Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a super post Shiju. Beautiful photos of a lovely part of India and our own trips to Goa. It was there we had an invitation to join at a local wedding and experienced the kindness and hospitality of Indian people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ...you enjoyed a fun and colorful week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! That is quite a professional series of photos ~ you and your wife are a handsome couple and the saris are beautiful as she is ~ Wonderful history you posted with awesome photos ~ nature shots are fantastic ~ thanks ~ namaste,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos, I enjoyed reading all about it. Glad you both had a wonderful time. Thanks so much for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful post. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely gorgeous photos, portraits, selfies and the photos of flora and fauna. Loved them all. So happy to see a very happy couple. Best wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've shared a special trip and I enjoyed it so much. The last photo, your wife has on my favorite color of blue. I love seeing all of her gorgeous outfits and gowns. You both make such a handsome couple and I like the sunset photos. You really should have those printed out. Of course the owl is pretty....bats...not so much! haha! Love this post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What wonderful photos!
    The view from where you stayed is fantastic and your wife looks beautiful. How interesting to read about the temple.

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a magical trip, i enjoyed the personal pictures of your wife and yourself. your wifes dresses are so pretty, she is a beautiful woman. the brahminy kite stood out to me, it is an exceptional photograph. i was taken by the elephant also, it did not look real. it was nice to see your wife having fun with the photographs, my husband and i do that also!!

    gorgeous sunsets but your personal images really stole the show!! thank you for sharing them!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your wife is lovely and I am sorry about the heat and insects. I just finished a book about India. It was historical fiction but was so interesting. I want to learn more so thank you for this post and I am going to look for more information as I love learning and read a lot....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous pics. What a lovely trip and beautiful pink sari. The elephant tho - that pic is just beautiful! #NaturesNotes

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful shots of your wife at the wedding and I loved seeing how she posed with the various murals. Just wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations to your nephew and new bride. Your wife looks beautiful in all her saris, but I loved the pink one she wore to the wedding. The elephants golden headdress is stunning and I love the statue of the elephant and calf. The mural is quite pretty too, but so are your photos of the birds and sunset. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Shiju

    ReplyDelete
  30. Both the owl and your wife are beautiful! I'd love to have a reason to wear jewelry like that. Glad you're back. You've been missed! Nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful photos. I found the bat shots to be astounding - they look HUGE! When I see bats here they're quite small in contrast, and I generally don't see them except at dusk when they fly about eating insects. We put up a bat house in hopes of attracting one, but in 10 years I don't think we have even had one visitor.
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/09/remembering-attack-on-our-nation.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fabulous shots Shiju, your wife is so beautiful, in the many style of the Indian dresses. Love I do the Owlet, pretty thing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What lovely captures and what a beautiful place and the lovely jewellery very artistic :-)

    Have a tourtastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  34. Delightful post! Your wife looks beautiful in that saree, and so cute posing with the murals. Love the owlet! The sunset photos are spectacular

    ReplyDelete
  35. A great post, you are a great photographer for a variety of genres.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nice to see you and your wife together and she is just gorgeous. I like seeing the elephant and the owl. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a fabulous vacation, and everything is so beautiful especially when you captured the evening sky, and the owl looking right at you not to mention the places you've seen. Your wife is very beautiful I must say & the two of you look very happy together! Have a wonderful day and thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, I sure enjoyed the virtual trip with you, thanks for the wonderful moments!
    😍🤩🤗

    ReplyDelete
  39. There is nothing else to say, your photos are absolutely gorgeous !! I love owls so I appreciated this photo even more !

    ReplyDelete
  40. That sounds like a wonderful getaway! You and your wife look so lovely in your wedding guest attire and I really enjoyed learning about the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful couple, and some great photos you share. Congratulations to the newly weds. Your wife is absolutely beautiful. Love the saree and the color is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  42. So lovely to see the images from the wedding and more. Your wife is a very pretty subject too. Great to see what you have been up to and getting reprimanded...doesn't that person know YOU get to any place that might be a great photo opp! It was great to see your blog post this week at Denyse’s Words and Pics for #WWandPics. Thank you for being part of the community. Warm wishes and appreciation from Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I just loved the places you are showing me

    ReplyDelete
  44. You two are a most good looking couple. What great shots of your stay. Wow.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  45. Such beautiful pictures, I particularly like the montage that you've made. Thank you for linking up and for sharing your snaps with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow ! I loved your excursion photos, you both make a good couple guys. The sky shots are breathtaking, owl and bat shots are stunning. Thanks for sharing with Garden Affair.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Such an exquisite trip and you had it all - temple visit, bird watching, sight seeing and a wedding to boot. Your wife is gorgeous and I love that pink saree.

    I have a 10 year old shitzu by the way, named Laila. :))

    The Jungle owlet is all kinds of <3 <3 for me.

    Thanks for sharing you trip with such details, Shiju. Btw I was also away fro my nephew's bethrothal recently. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.