Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Migrant birds have arrived!

 Many migrant birds have arrived at Hoskote lake. But overnight rain inundated the pathway making most of the area inaccessible. I had to limit my bird watching activity to just about 100 meters of the lake shore. Here are the birds I saw...

...
First sighting of the day was a Spot-billed Pelican floating with his inebriated reflection...
...
Grey-headed Swamphen (Purple Swamphen) was seen next...
...
A little ahead, a Little Egret was happily fishing in the inundated side track. I could not go beyond this point...
...
I stood there and waited for birds to come by. Soon a Blyth's Pipit arrived...
...
I could see a Pied Cuckoo (Jacobin Cuckoo), but perched too far away...
...
Also seen was a Red-wattled Lapwing, less agitated as he knows I could not cross the water and reach anywhere near him... 
...
The Blyth's Pipit returned...
...

...
A White-throated Kingfisher caught a snail but it fell in the grass. He retrieved it immediately...
...
Here's a beautiful migrant from north India. A Wire-tailed swallow. It migrates to south India during winter...
...
A Common Cuckoo was seen savoring a caterpillar. Such a shame that all of these birds were too far for my lens range...
...
Caught an Indian Pond-Heron's takeoff...
...
Then saw a glimpse of a Common Kingfisher (Small Blue Kingfisher). It vanished instantly...
...
The view of the lake and the hills in the background...
...
A Pied Cuckoo (Jacobin Cuckoo) sort of posed on a perch...
...
Then it tried to hide in the undergrowth...
...
A Common Kingfisher was looking down in the water for an unwary fish...
...

...

...
It made a dash and caught a fish...
...
A female Indian Robin too caught a caterpillar...
...



















 ...
I re-focused on the Common Kingfisher which was ready for another meal. And soon caught a fish...
...

...

...
Soon it was ready for its third meal. Both of us patiently waited for an unsuspecting fish to come by...
 

...

...
In between we got distracted by a Pied Bushchat...

...
Then focus resumed...

...

...

...
Our patience paid...


...
Saw a Long-tailed Shrike on my way back...
...
Now I'll take you to my garden where I've been observing some critter activities...
...
These insect eggs were laid two weeks back...
...
Exactly after 12 days the eggs hatched, revealing these red bugs...
...
...
The empty egg shells...
...
In one day the red bugs transformed into these black bugs...
...
Another set of eggs appeared a few days back. These are shiny and more interesting.  Will keep track and see what comes out...
That's it for this week. Hope the water recedes soon and I can explore more visiting birds. Hope you liked the post. Do post your comment.

Join me on Instagram at @shijuvenate


41 comments:

  1. Hello Shiju,:=) You always treat us to a great variety of birds. Great captures of the Common Kingfisher, and the White Throated Kingfisher, what beauties they both are.:=) The shots of the Pied Cuckoo is one of favourites today, and the Blyth's Pipit, a brown little bird but the detail in the feathers is beautiful. In fact they are all beautiful, and the bugs are interesting. It's amazing, how they changed colour and shape. Beautiful photography as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You spotted quite a few despite not being able to get closer. Your spotting of the Pied Cuckoo so far away is quite impressive. Really lovely photos! I know it is not as colourful as the other ones, but I really like the Blyth's Pipit photo.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great series of photos of the different birds.
    The kingfisher, the little egret and the pied cuckoo are my favorite.
    I wish you a nice weekend.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen only Common Kingfishers so far ever. All are beautiful and striking.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    What a great outing, you do see some awesome and beautiful birds in your area. The Kingfisher series is fantastic. The Wire-tailed Swallow is lovely, I love all your birds and photos. The insect, spiders and eggs are interesting to see. As always, awesome post! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always exciting when the seasonal migrants arrive. Your pictures bring back fond memories of several birding trips to Asia. Ah, memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The birds are beautiful. The bugs are wonderful, too. Good work in your garden.
    This, "inebriated reflection" made me smile, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...you captured some lovely visitors, enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You took some amazing photos, especially love the colorful Kingfisher. We are going out later and hope to see migratory birds here in Florida. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. So many birds in 100 yards? You are one lucky guy to be so near all that wildlife but use it to great advantage for you photography. I like the Pied Cuckoo best, but of course they are all superb. I wonder why those insect eggs were not picked off early by a bird or another insect? Doesn't nature present so many unanswered questions?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, some stunning photos. I love the Common Kingfisher series of it catching his meals. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are marvelous! Thank you for your kind comment also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your insect photos are fascinating in their detail and your bird images seem close to touchable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous showing of the birds, but, I love the Common Kingfisher, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The series from eggs, hatching, insects was fascinating!
    Beautiful bird portraits as always ...your photography is phenomenal.
    Thanks for linking in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent captures despite the constraints!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful, beautiful photos!
    I wonder how such a colorful Kingfisher got named Common. I think it should have a name that describes its beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So professional! Fantastic photos of nature and some unique (to me) feathered friends ~ awesome ~ Namaste ~ Xo

    Living in the moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the eggs-to-bugs series of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your birds photos are always fabulous. Even though you can't go near to the lake, you still have fantastic sightings of birds. The eggs to bugs are interesting but the bugs give me the creeps.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your photos are sensational - even if you didn't get as close to all of the birds as you wanted, you brought a large number of wonderful shots with you. You also did well with the photos of the insect eggs.
    All the best,
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/10/italien-reisebericht-toskana-ankommen.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another set of lovely photos so clear and colourful too I liked that reflection

    Have a migrantbirdstastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely fascinating. Love the diversity and color in your images. They never fail to delight me.
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/11/the-return-of-butterfly.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. The common kingfisher is not so common. Beautiful! It must have been fun to see what hatched, even if it was simply red bugs. Your eye for nature never fails to enchant.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That Kingfisher! Wow. Such beauty. I can't wait to see what you see there in coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing your beautiful world! The insect life cycle was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow, the bugs and the eggs! The kingfisher is my favorite with his vibrant colors.
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the Indian Heron takeoff! It struck me how "western" your header looks:) Am asking your permission to use one or two of your captures of the kingfisher to do a small painting? I love this little colorful bird so much -Please let me know - thank you Shiju, Emille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can use my images for your painting. Looking forward to see the output.

      Delete
  29. Wow. Those little insects and life cycle. How amazing to capture them. I sense your excitement that the migratory season is happening. The blue of the kingfisher is stunning. It’s been great to have your blog post linked up for the week on Life This Week.
    Thank you so much. I look forward to seeing you next Monday too. The optional prompt is Sharing Your Snaps (photos).
    And a big thank you for showing your appreciation for guest blogger, Mr Whelan, in 2021.
    Take care, Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh nice -- love the story from your garden. That's so interesting. It must have been exciting to watch the developments from egg to bug. And the bugs turn black?! So cool! Thank you sharing this with us.

    As for the pics from Hoskote, the Kingfisher is so pretty. It was nice to see the Purple Swamphen. What colours on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great selection! Lovely photos, but the wire tailed swallow is my favourite bird there. I'm fascinated by the photos of the bug eggs and the bugs hatching!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What an incredible variety of birds, and beautifully photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The Kingfishers are stunning! Also I found the macro shots from your garden beautiful & interesting. Wishing a fine weekend Shiju.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Red-wattled Lapwing and the Kingfisher are my favorites today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. all beautiful bird shots....I love the kingfisher best!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am delighted with beautiful birds and, of course, excellent photos.
    Greetings from Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What great photos. I love seeing such pretty shots of nature. I don't see many birds so I enjoy looking at the WW posts.
    Thanks for coming by and visiting my post. I have a link party. Feel free to come back and link!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.