Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Bird Ballet at Saul Kere

My bird-watching trip to Saul Kere lake last weekend was incredibly rewarding, yielding lots of birds in action. Here are the pictures.



~~~
As usual, the morning sky was covered in clouds, but fortunately, there was no sign of rain.



~~~
Four Indian spot-billed ducks took turns dabbling in the water while the others watched.




~~~
There was a territorial dispute between a Bronze-winged Jacana and a Grey-headed Swamphen. The Jacana was pushy, but the Swamphen stayed calm and held onto its territory.



~~~
While the mom Jacana was busy fighting, a Brahminy kite saw a chance to grab a chick. But one brave chick, just like its mom, yelled loudly when the kite came close.



~~~
The brave chick's fierce resistance made the Brahminy kite abandon its attempt.



~~~
I focused my attention as an Oriental darter was in the midst of its fishing expedition.



~~~
As skilled as it could be, the Oriental darter pierced its beak into an unsuspecting fish.





~~~
A Pied Bushchat.



~~~
I spotted a Red-whiskered Bulbul enjoying some dates.




~~~
Here are two of them side by side.



~~~
I also sighted a Scaly-breasted Munia.



~~~
I spotted a Purple Sunbird in the vicinity.



 ~~~
After that, I trailed a young Pied Bushchat and managed to capture its flight.





 ~~~
I noticed a Purple-rumped Sunbird hovering close to an electrical installation.



~~~
The signboard decided to tilt right where the little bird was chilling. Looks like the installation guy thought one bolt was enough for the signboard.




~~~
And here's the sunbird's graceful flutter.



~~~
Then, I came across a Pied Kingfisher. Those photobombing buildings just don't sit well with me.



~~~
I patiently waited for it to take flight, all the while it was focused on a potential prey.








~~~
A trio of Little Grebes swam in unison.




~~~
The Spot-billed Pelicans launched into flight with their impressive wingspan.



~~~
Oriental Darters were also present in the vicinity.



~~~
I spotted a White-browed Wagtail foraging for food.



~~~
There were Egrets and a Red-wattled Lapwing in the distance, yet my inclination towards Black-winged Stilts drew my focus to a solitary one of them.



~~~
A White-throated Kingfisher waited patiently, ready to strike at any unwary fish.



~~~
A gathering of birds perched together, including Cormorants, Pelicans, and Darters.



~~~
The sight of a juvenile Brahminy Kite resembling a Eurasian Marsh Harrier initially delighted me, but I soon realized that the migration season, usually taking place around September and October, had not yet arrived.



~~~
I patiently waited for a considerable time, hoping to catch a glimpse of an Asian Green Bee-eater in flight.



~~~
I eventually captured it with its wings spread wide. Yet, that photo fueled my excitement, leaving me yearning for more captivating shots. Thus, the extended wait carried on.



~~~
Soon after, another bee-eater appeared, clutching an insect in its beak.



~~~
As it broke the insect, I could sense a hint of jealousy in the first bird's reaction.



~~~
Disregarding the common courtesy of sharing, the bird kept its attention fixed on relishing the delightful meal, undisturbed.




~~~
However, the first bird managed to overcome its jealousy and found the inspiration to search for its own meal.




~~~
The bee-eater discovered its food right below the spot where it had been perched all along.



~~~
As is often the pattern, once you gather that initial motivation to give it a shot, the task starts to feel less daunting. The real obstacle is usually in your own thoughts.



~~~
Having reinforced the wisdom from the bee-eater's experience, I came across the symbol of wisdom — a Spotted Owlet.




~~~
The owl is a very smart bird. It knows when to find food and when to rest. The Owl doesn't waste time wandering without reason. It's good at using its time wisely, working and resting at the right moments.




~~~
Next, I spotted a Brahminy Kite.



~~~
The Asian Green Bee-eaters continue to amaze me; here's a dazzling trio together.



~~~
Next, I witnessed a White-cheeked Barbet intently probing inside a tree cavity, seemingly excavating.



~~~
I observed it diligently excavating the nest cavity and then spitting out debris.





~~~
Take a look at the debris suspended in the air around the nest in this image.



I've taken quite a lot of photos already, and I'm reaching my limit, so I made the decision to pack up. The trip was incredibly fulfilling. I hope you liked what I saw. Please do leave a comment!

Linked with Mosaic Monday

58 comments:

  1. What a joy to see your bird shots again . So full of beautiful life.Thanks again for the effort to show us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great series of bird photos. Love the fishing action by heron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots! Sounds like the reputation an owl has for being wise is actually true. And as regards to challenging tasks, you've noted wisely that the real obstacle is usually in our own thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That morning sky is so striking - amazing. Love all your feathered friends shots - so much diversity and life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning sunrise is a divine photo and your bird series of photos are awesome ~ so professional ~ !

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful morning sky, and a wonderful variety of bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your visit to Saul Kere made me smile, laugh and gasp in wonder. What a great post! I love the header shot -- certainly your posts are worth watching with a good bowl of popcorn -- much better than any TV show or movie I've seen lately. ... I could go on and on about how good your photos are but then my comment would never stop. I loved them all, but the bee-eater drama was probably my favorite chapter today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many amazing photos of such amazing birds! I love the sunbird photos the most.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful series of photos from your trip.
    Very beautiful the birds that the fish pierces with its beak.
    I also love the Red-eared Bulbul, the Purple Sunbird and the Pied Kingfisher, species that we don't see in the Netherlands, not even in a zoo.
    I also love the bee eaters
    Greetings from Irma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whenever I see the drama between predator and prey taking place I am torn between wanting the predator to succeed and the prey to escape. There is no resolution to this dilemma, for some must die for others to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some of your best pictures yet! It was the Oriental Darter that fascinated me the most!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful variety and I love seeing that heron. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful collection of birds and photos. I love them all, it is too hard to pick a favorite, awesome bird sightings and a great post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the way you are turning yourself into an Aesop’s Fables kind of guy and finding a human moral in the actions of the birds. Your photos as always are stunning and it’s fun to see these birds that are so unfamiliar to me, an American birder.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing avian action captured!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a dramatic sky with which to start your day. Perhaps the mass of buildings with so many people toiling away in shops and offices keeps them away from your piece of Heaven. You did have a very rewarding day, so many wonderful pictures that I can not pick a single favourite, however the bee eaters always seem to win the photo race. The darter action shots run them close today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You caught so many birds in flight this week. Stunning photos.

    And thank you for the wisdom you shared here: "As is often the pattern, once you gather that initial motivation to give it a shot, the task starts to feel less daunting. The real obstacle is usually in your own thoughts."

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought the bee eater would be my favorite bird in this group until I saw the Owlet! What a gorgeous bird. Love the photo of the bird eating dates....and did you make enough popcorn to share? lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning pictures! Especially the Owl

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love seeing nature through your lens ! Awesome clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ...Shiju, you captured beautiful images, but my favorite is the morning sky!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful collection of photos!
    The Oriental darter catching the fish is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Extraordinary collection of high quality photographs of these birds living in this natural área. Congratulations for the high quality images and for your good work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i always enjoy my visits here...you are such a dedicated birder!! not only do you find a large number of amazing birds, your pictures are extraordinary!! i could not pick a favorite, all of these birds are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great photo stories! I love the Asian Green Bee-eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful shots all of them. The Oriental darter getting his fish is my favourite. Awesome series!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful series of amazing types of birds ~ hard to pick a favorite ~ all are awesome ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautifully, the Purple Sunbird and the Bee-eaters were out of the world. Thanks Shiju.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing photos as usual, you have such patience. I love the Asian Bee Eater.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such stunning photos! Your shots never cease to please and amaze me.
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/08/a-foggy-morning-on-kanawha-river-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your photos are so good. I especially like the first few where the birds were chasing their prey.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow what a stunning collection I enjoyed them thanks for sharing :-)

    Have a birdballettastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'll say it again. Birds are so majestic and you're talented with the lens.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a wonderful array of nature capture. Birds must have great eyesight to just pop in and grab breakfast out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good morning what a lovely collection of photos and your wildlife and nature views are incredible. thank you so much and enjoy everything!

    ReplyDelete
  36. glad that chick could make fierce resistance to Brahminy kite....
    beautiful captures

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy MosaicMonday

    What funny and dramatically scenes here are in different ways. I enjoyed reading. And couldn`t say which scene is the best of this post: Each!

    Thank you so much being part at
    MosaicMonday

    Have a fine week. Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is another world. Thanks for the look into bird world.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Look at the color of that swamphen! So pretty!
    And whoa! The darter is quite a fisher, eh?!
    Lovely pictures of the bee eaters. In fact all your posts and pictures are lovely!
    Thank you, Shiju. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your pictures are fantastic. I wish I had a camera that would take photos such as these. I wish I could go places such as this. Thank you so much for sharing. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Always so awed by your bird-watching photos, so full of life! Thanks for giving us a glimpse of the places you visit :) Mine's here ~ Ms. Donyarific

    ReplyDelete
  42. wow, you have soo much beautiful birds and widllife. If I was young again I would move to your place. St least I would love too. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  43. The image with the clouds is dramatic and gorgeous!
    You did fantastic photoshoots! The bird with the fish in its beak ist fabulous!
    The owls are totally cute! All photos are impressive! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a fabulous ballet! Your photos are so precious!
    Thank you for sharing them!
    Happy WW and a fine week!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Such a full day of bird spotting! Do you know the names of all the birds you see or do you sometimes have to look them up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm familiar with most native and migratory bird species, though I do need to search for information when I come across rare lifers.

      Delete
  46. Such an amazing series of photos, Shiju 👍👍

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  47. The photos are all very beautiful even more than that ! But the behavior of the birds reminds me us humans ! War, fights, etc

    ReplyDelete
  48. wonderful photos....here flocks of birds visit the feeders to get ready for migration....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  49. spot-billed ducks look so special...... beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  50. Your patience and skills with the lens are well rewarded here! That Owl, honestly, what an attitude hey!! Thank you so much for sharing your blog post for the first link up of Denyse’s Words and Pics. I hope too, that you will be back next Wednesday. Warm wishes and appreciation from Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Dear Shiju,
    oh there were really heavy dark clouds in the morning sky over Saul Kere! Luckily you didn't let that stop you and you got to enjoy some spectacular views (and so do all of us)! I'm glad the Bahminy kite didn't grab the chick. I know that the kite also has to eat and feed its young, but better not in front of our eyes... On the other hand, when an insect or a fish is caught (like you captured so beautifully with the Oriental Darter or the Bee-eaters) it fascinates me very much.
    You are a really keen bird watcher - you have spotted many wonderful birds - and I think the spotted owlet was particularly well camouflaged. Also incredible are your photos of the White-cheeked Barbet excavating the nest cavity and then spitting out debris!
    Have a good time!
    Traude
    🌻🌺❤️🌺🌻
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/08/drei-einem-tag-viva-frida-kahlo.html

    ReplyDelete
  52. Your photographs are stunning, I really like how you've captured the stormy clouds. Thanks for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Needless to say, all your photos are breathtaking. I am particularly impressed by the Bulbul. Do you remember there is a musical instrument called Bulbuldara? Thanks for your visit, Shiju! Have a Great one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Yes, I'm familiar with the musical instrument called Bulbuldara. It's interesting how the name connects to the beautiful Bulbul bird.

      Delete
  54. I thoroughly enjoyed your post especially tidbits about the birds with pictorial representation , the sky capture is dramatic . Thanks for being part of Garden Affair.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.