Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Unexpected Encounters at Hoskote Lake

The past few weeks have felt like one long, hectic blur. Between work deadlines and the endless headaches of dealing with property changes, I was completely drained.  

All I craved was a breath of fresh air and a chance to reconnect with nature's wild side. Thankfully, Hoskote Lake, a haven for birds right outside Bangalore, offered the perfect escape. 

Here are the pics.



~~~
I aimed to be at Hoskote Lake for the exact sunrise time of 6:15 am.  However, by the time I fumbled with my camera, the sun had already risen a cheeky few yards.




~~~
Even a sliver of the moon lingered in the dawn sky.



~~~
Swallows darted across the sky in a flurry of activity.



~~~
A large group of rosy starlings had claimed the ground for their breakfast buffet.



~~~
A solitary white-browed wagtail, danced along the water's edge as it hunted for its breakfast.



~~~
A cattle egret shared a perch on a tree with a glossy ibis. 



~~~
The pre-dawn light was tricky, but I was happy to spot this common hawk cuckoo.



~~~
I spotted a Blyth's reed warbler next.



~~~
A wedge of ibises.



~~~
An interesting interaction unfolded between a white-cheeked barbet and a coppersmith barbet. Both birds displayed focus on the same nest hole. First, the white-cheeked barbet arrived with food for the nestlings inside. Shortly after, the coppersmith barbet entered the same hole. Their behavior towards each other was quite animated, leaving me curious about their connection to this particular nest. Could they be a breeding pair exhibiting cooperative breeding behavior, or perhaps competing for the same nesting site?










~~~
A pied bushchat perched nearby, its posture piquing my curiosity. 



~~~
Exhausted from their aerial ballet, barn swallows lined the wires. 



~~~
A rosy starling materialized for a mere moment.



~~~
The tiny zitting cisticola proved to be quite the challenge. I settled in quietly, and after some focused observation, the little bird finally emerged from its hiding spot.






~~~
A group of cattle egrets had claimed a nearby tree as their breakfast perch, scattered amongst the branches like white flowers.



~~~
A Grey-bellied Cuckoo! The sighting sent a thrill through me.




~~~
 I spotted a paddyfield pipit next.

 


 ~~~
A Western Yellow Wagtail busily searched for breakfast.



 ~~~
A black-winged stilt balanced on spindly legs, wading through the shallows.


~~~
 A shy wood sandpiper peeked out.


 ~~~
A Baya weaver flitted between the lakeside reeds and a nearby cornfield. It enjoyed a meal of readily available corn kernels.



 ~~~
Sharing the opportunistic spirit was a rose-ringed parakeet. It perched confidently on a nearby cornstalk, enjoying a snack of ripe corn kernels.



~~~
A Brahminy Kite feasted on a large tilapia fish.  



 ~~~
The Asian Green Bee-eater provided a fitting farewell to Hoskote Lake.


~~~
I hope you liked the post. Let me know what you think in the comments!

51 comments:

  1. Brilliant brilliant photos! Yes, real estate transactions can be very draining. Have good advice and you will be happy you did it correctly. Best wishes my friend aloha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shiju,
    These are beautiful series of photos.
    I hope your headache is better now and you are free of it.
    The white-cheeked barbet, the coppersmith barbet and the gray-bellied cuckoo are beautiful species that do not occur here in the Netherlands.
    The Brahminy Kite is also an amazing species of bird to see.
    I enjoyed your photos.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. The capture of the sunrise made the early start worthwhile. So many beautiful birds in one area. I can see why you would be anxious to escape to Hoskote Lake for a rew hours. Sheer bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great series of pictures. It’s always great to be on territory at the crack of dawn. The world awakes and the birds with it. The best time of all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love your photos. Today's are no exception. Brilliant sunrise images and the moon shot, and your birds are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The clarity of some of these birds had me wanting to reach out and touch them. What a beautiful collection you found at the Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that sunrise... especially the reflection off the water. Gorgeous photography!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great moments. Nature is perfect escapade from city mess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning photos. I'm so glad you have a beautiful place nearby to get back to nature and refresh your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...Shiju, the sunrise was a fabulous start, followed by your wildlife photos. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Shiju,
    Gorgeous captures of the sunrise, I love the moon photo too. Your bird images are always a treat to see, they are all lovely sightings. It is too hard to pick a favorite I loved them all. I would enjoying nature and a walk at the lake would help rid you of the headache. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice you have such a great place nearby to take a break from the harsh world!
    Did you find out what it was about the two species caring for the same nest?
    I read that owls - even from different "species" share custody and help each other learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coppersmith Barbets are known to make more than one nesting hole as a means to protect themselves from predators. Probably, the white-cheeked barbet occupied the spare hole, causing all the confusion.

      Delete
  13. There are really so many birds that you have taken beautiful pictures of. The green parakeet has
    such a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another remarkable collection of photos, and your way of showing them in order of seeing them is very effective. I feel as if I have been birding with you. I wish I was able to get to this fantastic spot.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. When your days are busy with work and chores, it is so refreshing to get out in nature. It frees your mind and gives you renewed energy. Well...it makes me tired too! lol Beautiful photos! Especially love the Parakeet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful photography, Loved it

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Bee-eater is absolutely my favourite, even though they are all cute birds.
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hoskote Lake is a paradise of beautiful birds, to sooth the soul. It's nice to visit it through your eyes. Bee-eaters are such pretty birds. A nice touch to end your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful as always. Do not hope that the encroaching construction will throw a spanner in the works at any point.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! ~ Always very professional nature photography here ~ thank you ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! What a lovely stroll through your beautiful nature views, each one in their own element and such a gorgeous background! Beautiful critters throughout too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful collection of birds!
    And I also enjoyed seeing the sky photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. the hawk cuckoo looks so cute..... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm familiar with this situation: while I'm still adjusting the settings on the camera, the light has changed. Yes, I feel the same way. Nevertheless, you've managed to take some fantastic shots again! I particularly like the collage with the torn images as an effect. A great idea.
    And I am again very happy about your contribution to
    MosaicMonday

    I wish you a pleasant week, best wishes from
    Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm glad you have this hobby you love out in nature..it is a stress reliever....

    ReplyDelete
  27. The series about the green bird and the nest hole is really interesting. Nature is great for recovering from stress.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gosh what a gifted photographer you are - marvelous shots, each and every one.
    Thank you for sharing with us this week at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/04/groundhog-alert.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic showing of the birds, and the moon, beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your pictures are beautiful... Wonderful shots. Such a talent! Marvelous series..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nature is always the best cure for work related stress! My favorite photo is the barn swallows on the wire. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a stunning collection of photos!
    Hoskote Lake seems like a haven for birdwatching.
    I particularly enjoyed the narrative behind the interaction between the white-cheeked barbet and the coppersmith barbet.

    Thanks for sharing these magical moments with us, Shiju.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The sunrise photos are spectacular! Of all the lovely birds in this photo shoot, I think I like the Kite best.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is quite a photo shoot. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  35. your photos are exceptional! Pure art!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your pictures never fail to delight! The sunrise was a lovely start to this week's collection.

    ReplyDelete
  37. i for one, think the sunrise pictures are amazing, i'm glad you "fumbled", and arrived a few minutes late...they are beautiful!! you always share magnificent images of our feathered friends, hoskote lake is a fabulous place for birding. i think the bee-eater was my favorite, after viewing all of the pictures twice!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a beautiful place. Such lovely photos. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful photos as always! So many different birds to encounter, and such a variety between the parakeets, hawks, songbirds, etc. Nice sunrise pictures, too. I hope your headache and stresses have subsided.

    ReplyDelete
  40. stunning photos, both of a sunrise and of wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Always endless pics with beautiful avian creatures. The owl and bee eater shots are most fabulous for me

    ReplyDelete
  42. Gorgeous bird photos as always. It looks like it is dry there too. We are praying for rain. It must come soon, our forests are dyeing. Enjoy the rest of your week, happy birding, and thankyou for visiting my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh yes! Liked the post! :)
    The bee-eater looks like a painting. <3
    And I was introduced to more birds today. Thank you, Shiju. May Hoskote Lake continue to be a haven for avian life. :)

    The sun- shots are gorgeous (especially the ones with the bamboo leaves and birds in the foreground. The moon pic is superb, too.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Such stunning shots (as always). So glad you got to go out and get some fresh air - Thanks for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  45. All lovely and stunning capture! As always, I look at each photo of the winged creatures and am awed by it all! Joining this Skywatch Friday. Mine's here ~ Ms. Donyarific

    ReplyDelete
  46. I always look forward to your bird expedition day to Hoskote lake . You were fortunate enough to capture Barbets looking for nests in woods. Thanks for sharing with Garden Affair.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow, that was quite a walk through the bird world ! I had never seen a Koel. It has such beautiful feathers as tail. But my favorite bird is still the owl ! I love them, they have the same eyes as my cat and nearly the same expression too !

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.