Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

A Morning of Birding Adventures

 I drove to Muthanallur on a cloudy weekend morning to watch birds, but I also saw butterflies, damsel flies, and dragonflies. Here are the pictures.



~~~
In the softly lit morning, where clouds veiled the sun, a Hair-crested Drongo appeared, holding a captured wasp. The picture isn't very clear due to the low light, but it's a special shot as it's my first sighting of this bird.



~~~
The sun slowly showed up from behind the clouds.



~~~
I spotted a cattle egret searching for food.



~~~
Even though it was still too early for butterflies to be out, I managed to spot a Common Picture Wing dragonfly that appeared to be an early riser, just like me.






~~~
I also noticed black kites gliding through the sky.




~~~
As the sun climbed higher, the colors of the lake and the surrounding greens began to brighten and stand out.



~~~
The face of a Chalky Percher dragonfly wore a smile resembling that of a human.



~~~
I observed a pair of Yellow Waxtail damselflies engaged in mating, and the heart-shaped formation they created appeared almost like a love note written by nature.





~~~
The sun got warmer and showed the pretty sky, clouds, and the lake view.



~~~
As the sun warmed up, butterflies started coming out as well. I trailed a Blue Tiger butterfly until it settled on a leaf.



~~~
A distant tree became the perch for Mr. and Mrs. Red avadavat. Their presence lacked the intimacy seen in the damselflies.




~~~
I spotted a lone Ashy Prinia with a tail that seemed to stand straight up.



~~~
I came across a lone female Baya Weaver bird,  possibly resting after the demanding job of turning down nests made by the males.



~~~
I noticed a lone Rose-ringed parakeet,  perched alone and catching my attention.



~~~
The single bird sightings were followed by a captivating spectacle - a squadron of Painted storks performing a graceful fly-past.





~~~
A male Indian Robin was busy searching for food amidst the fallen flowers.





~~~
A spotted dove caught my eye.



~~~
A hapless-looking male Baya weaver calls out to passing females, presenting its really tiny nest which is most likely to be rejected.




~~~
Next, a Black Drongo came into view.



~~~
It took off for a hunting mission.



~~~
Next, a group of White-rumped Munias came into sight. I concentrated on one particular individual before they eventually took flight.




~~~
The Scarlet skimmer dragonfly appeared absolutely stunning.



~~~
A white-throated kingfisher showed no fear and perched really close.



~~~
After approximately 5 minutes, it took off, presumably for a fishing expedition.



~~~
In the distance, I spotted a Black-shouldered kite, but it was beyond the range of my lens. I had to navigate through challenging reeds to get closer.



~~~
Walking through the reeds was challenging, especially due to the presence of rainwater. Fortunately, I didn't come across any snakes.



~~~
This is the closest shot I managed to capture, yet it's still from a considerable distance.




~~~
Here are a few more shots of the landscape as I retraced my steps back to the birding path.








~~~
And so concluded my birding morning. I returned feeling content with the captures I had. I hope you enjoyed the post. I welcome your thoughts and feedback.

Linked with Mosaic Monday

43 comments:

  1. lovely cattle egret....
    excellent captures as always....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always great get a lifer to start the day. The dragonfly shots are exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great series of photos.
    I really love the mating yellow waxtail damselflies.
    The male Baya weaver and the Black Drongo are also beautiful.
    The Black-shouldered Kite is a beautiful species that I have never seen, you could get pretty close.
    I enjoyed your photos again.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the baya nest wouldn't earn many mates. He needs to learn weaving skills! The blue tiger butterfly is beautiful. I added a new camera to my Christmas list. Maybe I'll be getting closer to birds soon. I'm a morning person, too. I always feel bad for people who sleep through nature in motion. But then again, they can just visit your blog to see it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always have the nicest photos - I love the blue tiger butterfly. I've never seen such a soft blue on a butterfly before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dynamic moon shots ~ Wow! Wonderful series of beautiful bird photos ~ Wow again ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sun shot reminds me of my moon shot. All wonderful sightings, although the dragonfly photos are remarkable. These constantly moving delicate creatures with fairy-like wings are not easy to capture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are stunning. I especially love the dragonfly shots. I don't think dragonflies get enough love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a talented and skilled photographer. Your images, post after post are superb. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. It's like being there and seeing these in person. So clear and vivid. You're an excellent photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing series of photos, always loved your photography. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sky went from moody to blue! Another delightful set of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In this post I like the Tiger butterfly best.
    Fantastic shots of the Dragonflies too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, Congrats on your lifer. I love all the dragonflies and the butterfly, lovely images. The birds are awesome, great shots of the Kingfisher, the Black-shouldered Kite, I love the Baya Weaver with the little nest. They are all gorgeous photos. Well done. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good macro's of those insects and those birds, but of course it is your name of fame. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The beautiful insects make a great addition to your wonderful bird photos. I enjoyed all your images this week.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...Shiju, thanks for getting up early and taking me along to see all of these exciting images. Let's do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I usually go for your bird photos but this week I am amazed by the Picture-winged Dragonfly and also the pair of Yellow Waxtails - superb. Of course the egret, the kingfisher and the Black-shouldered Kite are very striking images. I think you were brave approaching the kite when you know there might be snakes around. The things we do for a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marvelous captures of nature and its inhabitants!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These photographs are all so beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing and have a super Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your pictures are wonderful..So crisp and clear..Thanks for sharing them..The Dragonfly photos are superb. Amazing images...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos.
    Well done on getting the photo of the dragonfly! I am never quick enough to get a snap.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful captures as always. I love the dragonflies, you captured their beauty. Thank you for sharing these beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful the White-rumped Munias, Black-shouldered kite, Cattle Egret and the Blue Tiger butterfly, great photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. fantastic photos of Yellow Waxtail damselflies ......
    thank you for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful detail on the damselflies. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You saw so many pretty birds and I love the tiny dragonflies and butterflies. They are so neat to see up close! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing captures as always loved the dragonflies shots never seen them so close up :-)

    Have a birdingtastic week 👍 👍

    ReplyDelete
  29. Not to be indelicate, but...
    What do the damselflies do with their genitalia after the consummation of their mating?
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/08/on-road.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no worries! After their 'private matters,' damselflies often have interesting ways to improve their chances of passing on their genes. They might have structures to displace rival males' sperm in the female's reproductive tract. Which is why their mating rituals tend to be quite lengthy.

      Delete
  30. Incredible photography, Shiju!
    I especially loved the dragonflies.
    You really do have a great eye 👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  31. The landscape is gorgeous and the full moon, fascinating!
    All the birds, butterflies and dragonflies that you have captured in photographs with great skill are fabulous, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Shiju,
    It was very nice to accompany you again! You can be really satisfied with your shots - it was totally worth it that you made the arduous journey closer to the black-shouldered kite - what a magnificent bird! - but I'm still VERY glad that you didn't encounter a snake! I've learned something new, so far I only knew dragonflies, but not the term damsel flies. We call them all "Libellen" in german language. (But I also like to say helicopter animals ;-)) It is a great experience to watch them mating, I have already been able to experience it twice. It takes a ling time and I think it's very dangerous for the insects because they are then unable to escape. Fascinating, the heart shape. Unfortunately, "my" dragonflies didn't make such a beautiful heart. I also once witnessed a "dragonfly birth" - hatching from the exuvia. Unforgettable.
    All the best from Austria!
    Traude
    🌼❤️🌼
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/08/romerstadt-carnuntum-und-die-tiere-von.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. That blue tiger butterfly is so pretty! The rose ringed parakeet is one bird that we only see in zoos and pet stores here in the United States and I'm always amazed to see them (and other bright birds like that) when you capture them in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The dragonflies are really interesting - do they have a mating season? Thanks for sharing with #Allseasons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they have a mating season. They tend to mate during the warmer months when they are most active.

      Delete
  35. Wow... there are exceptional captures. Wonderful. Thank you again for sharing, dear blogfriend and being part of
    MosaicMonday

    Wish you a wonderful weekend, greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just lovely images again Shiju which bring your followers joy too. My 13 yo granddaughter loves dragonflies...Thank you so much for linking you post to WWandPics this week. Next week, the link up continues beginning at 5.00 am WEDNESDAY Australian Eastern time and finishes at 5.00 am FRIDAY allowing an additional 12 hours for the blog linkers from the northern hemisphere. See you next week, on Denyse’s Words and Pics! And yes, I will be doing a “D” post!! Warm wishes, Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great photos! I assume you have a serious camera.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Not only are the birds incredible but the way that you've captured the sun behind the clouds is amazing. Thanks for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow ! You are master of your art , a keen observer. The macro shots of flies are mindblowing. Thanks for sharing with Garden Affair.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.