Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Thursday, July 02, 2026

The Flamingo Heart at Hoskote Lake

Some Saturday mornings are simply too good to ignore. At 7:30 am, a friend messaged to say that Greater Flamingos had been spotted at Hoskote Lake. It was exciting news because these elegant birds are only occasional visitors to the lake. The last time Greater Flamingos made a stopover here was in March 2020, when I was fortunate enough to photograph them as well. You can read about that memorable encounter in my earlier post, Flamingos Visit Hoskote.

There was no time to waste. I persuaded my wife, Manju, to join me for what I promised would be a quick outing to see the flamingos. After dropping our child at school, Manju and I headed to Hoskote, hoping the birds were still there. Thankfully, they were. We were rewarded with wonderful views of all five visitors, all juvenile Greater Flamingos, making it a memorable start to the weekend.



~~~
By the time we reached the lake at around 9:15 am, the day was already warming up. Fortunately, four of the juvenile flamingos were feeding close to the shore.



~~~
I set up my camera and began capturing the elegant poses of these beautiful juvenile flamingos as they fed peacefully in the shallow waters.






~~~
The brownish-white plumage identifies these birds as juveniles. Unlike adults, which display the iconic pink coloration, young Greater Flamingos gradually acquire their vibrant pink feathers over the next two to three years through pigments obtained from their diet.






~~~
Flamingos feed by filtering tiny algae, crustaceans, and other aquatic organisms from the water using their uniquely adapted bills.

~~~
Greater Flamingos are highly social birds, often feeding and resting in groups. These four juveniles rarely strayed far from one another during our visit.





~~~
After spending some time away from the group, the fifth juvenile finally appeared, giving us the chance to photograph all five flamingos together.



~~~
I followed the pair, hoping they would briefly align into the classic heart-shaped pose that every flamingo photographer dreams of. They came close several times, but the perfect moment remained just out of reach.






~~~
One of the juveniles suddenly took off, revealing the faint blush of pink beginning to develop on its underwings—a sign that it was gradually transitioning toward adult plumage.



~~~
Between bouts of feeding, the flamingos paused to preen. Their remarkably flexible necks allowed them to reach almost every feather, keeping their plumage clean and waterproof.





~~~
In the wild, Greater Flamingos can live for 30 to 40 years, and some captive birds have lived for over 60 years.



~~~
I decided to change my position for one final attempt at the classic flamingo heart pose. The pair continued feeding and occasionally looked up at each other, teasing me with a few near misses.




~~~
Then, for a brief moment, their graceful necks aligned perfectly, forming the iconic heart shape I had been hoping for. It lasted only a second, but it was worth the wait.



~~~
The iconic heart-shaped pose is often associated with flamingo courtship. If a pair successfully breeds, they usually lay a single egg and raise just one chick, with both parents sharing incubation duties and feeding the chick with a nutrient-rich crop milk during its early weeks.



Bonus from the previous day: Manju and I drove to Mysore for a peaceful visit to Chamundeshwari Temple and wrapped up the trip with a stop at the beautiful Mysore Palace.









As we made our way home, I couldn't help but feel grateful for the chance to witness another rare flamingo visit to Hoskote Lake. Here's hoping these graceful visitors return again, bringing with them many more memorable mornings.


Share your thoughts in the comments below.

35 comments:

  1. First I must say I'm used to adult flamingos down in the Caribbean off the Florida coast which are brightly colored. I guess I've not seen many juveniles. Interesting to see the bland colors of juveniles. Second I'm so glad you and your lovely wife spent a nice day together. She's the perfect addition to photos of the beautiful architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your visit to Hotsoke Lake, the photos of the magnificent temple and palace, and especially the photos of you and Manju! The juvenile flamingoes with the cream colored feathers were interesting to see as like Carol said in her comment I am also used to seeing them pink colored. Getting their iconic heart shaped pose shows your great amount of patience and photography skill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such distinctive looking birds. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These birds are so elegant and your images are extraordinary!
    And I like a lot your beautiful smiles!
    A fine July with special photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Blessings to you both 🙏🏽

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting to see these young flamingoes. I can't say I have seen them before! I am used to the pink, adult ones. Also, lovely to see you and your wife together enjoying the day. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful captures of the bird. I didn't realize that flamingos did not start pink. The temple is so palatial.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful day of birding you had thanks to your friend's information. I'm happy your wife was able to join you to witness the beautiful flamingos. I also love the palace. So stunning and did you notice, your wife's sari colours match the colours of the palace making for spectacular shots for the memory books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing, graceful bird. I enjoyed these photos very much.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful photos of the young flamingos these are, Shiju.
    It's nice that you also visited the Chamundeshwari Temple and the Palace of Mysore with your wife.
    You are a beautiful couple.
    I wish you a lovely weekend.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flamingos are eternally appealing; they never lose their charm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What magnificent creatures they are! The pictures from your previous day are delightul, thank you for sharing them with us, Shiju.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Shiju,
    Beautiful photos of the flamingos. They are lovely birds. I am glad you could capture the heart.
    Lovely photos of you and your wife at the Palace. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ashamed to admit I didn´t know young famingos are white! And never guessed they get that old, either! I learned a lot! Nice to see you two and wow, an impressive temple! This was another fine read - have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing photos of flamingos.
    Glad to see your trip to Chamundeshwari Temple , Mysore Palace.Beautiful pics.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...once again thanks for taking me along to see these gorgeous images of nature and man made splendor. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Flamingos are really amazing to see. My experience with them is in Florida, central and South America, and southern France, so I’ve seen different species from yours, but the strange beaks and beautiful tall stature is similar.
    Nice nature photos! I also like the architecture photos.
    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very beautiful pictures of the flamingos! The color of them is absolutely beautiful. Great picture of you and your wife too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Shiju, your photos from Hotsoke Lake are absolutely great. Aren’t those birds amazing and your photography captured them perfectly. Thanks also for including the photos of you and Manju … you guys are a good looking couple! Thanks, as always, for sharing. Best regards to you from Seattle! John

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my Shiju, the flamingoes are amazing! What a wonderful sighting and you took such sharp clear photos. I felt like I could reach out and touch them. Your wife is stunning and the two of you make such a beautiful couple. Thanks for sharing family photos, it means a lot to us. Hugs to you both, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend John looked at your blog and wrote back such a good note that I wanted to include it as a comment to you from John. "This post is amazing. Not only were the photos beautiful but the information about these gorgeous creatures was quite extensive. The personal touch was sweet as well. "

      Delete
  21. I would truly love to see flamingos in person, instead of the pink plastic ones that show up on lawns from time to time. Thank you for sharing such wonderful photos. One of these days I will see one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved seeing these photos! I have seen flamingos here, but I am not a skilled photographer, like you, so my shots were not nearly as good. In your pictures I get to see the birds close up. I had no ideas that flamingos can live for 30 to 40 years!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the scenes with the beautiful Flamingos.

    Thank you! ...also on behalf of my dear husband, who was delighted to receive the congratulations.

    And thank you once again for your wonderful contribution to MosaicMonday this week.

    Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  24. How cool is it to be able to photograph these beautiful flamingos. These are absolutely gorgeous photos of these beautiful animals. You also managed to take a fantastic series of photos. I think photo 25 is really great to see.

    You concluded the trip with a visit to the Palace of Mysore. This series is also beautiful to see, and you look great in the pictures too.
    Kind regards,

    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous juvenile Flamingos photos and also lovely photos of you and your wife at the Palace ~ namaste

    ReplyDelete
  26. so wonderful to see the flamingoes and you took wonderful images of them. The palace and temple are amazing, and your wife is beautiful! Enjoy your week and thankyou for visiting my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such elegance of nature. Rarely see them where I live, but there were a few when we use to have a place at one of the lakes around. Thanks for sharing. And a day out with the wife is always a plus. Handsome couple. She's very pretty lady.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your visit to Hotsoke Lake looked wonderful!
    The temple and palace shots were breathtaking, and the pictures of you and Manju added such a personal touch.
    The cream‑colored juvenile flamingoes were so interesting to see, as I’m used to their pink shade.
    Getting them in that heart pose shows how much care and talent went into your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Zijn weer prachtige vogels op de foto en je vrouw in traditionele kledij past prachtig bij de gebouwen op de achtergrond. Wat een mooie post alweer.

    ReplyDelete
  30. How cool that you got to see the flamingos! And those some great photos of the juveniles, so much detail and life!
    I haven't had much opportunity to see them at that age before, before they get the iconic pink plumage.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Unas fotos buenísimas. Me han encantado. Un placer pasar por tu blog. Acabo de unirme al reto desde Bitácora literaria. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another great post, featuring flamingoes and special guest appearance by your beautiful wife.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh wow what an amazing collection of beautiful captures each one.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.