Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Thursday, October 08, 2026

Kasavanahalli After Four Years

My last visit to Kasavanahalli Lake was way back in June 2022. Four years is a long time in the life of a lake, and I had often wondered what the place might look like now.

So, when Sunday morning came around, I had absolutely no motivation to step out. You know those mornings when staying in bed feels like the most sensible plan? This was one of those.

Somehow, I managed to convince myself to head to Kasavanahalli Lake, partly out of curiosity, partly because I had no better plan, and mostly to see what had changed there over four years.

Well, the lake had a story to tell.

There were birds everywhere, some familiar faces, a few pleasant surprises, and plenty of photographic opportunities.

And, as usually happens when the birds decide to cooperate, I came back with far too many photographs.

So, brace yourself for a maxi post.



~~~
As I entered the gates, the lake greeted me with a view that seemed almost perfectly timed. The sun was just making its way above the horizon, casting a warm golden glow across the water and turning the whole scene into a rather spectacular welcome.



~~~
I zoomed in and there it was, a Common Kingfisher perched quietly on a dead branch in the water.



~~~
A little more zoom revealed the kingfisher much more clearly. The light was still a bit soft, so I hoped it would stick around for another encounter once the sun got a little higher.

For now, I was happy to have found it.




~~~
I walked further along the lake, with the rising sun keeping me company.



~~~
A little further along, I came across a group of Spot-billed Ducks quietly making their way through the water. There were quite a few of them, and with the morning light catching the ripples around them, they made for a lovely little scene.




~~~
As the morning progressed, the sun climbed higher and kept putting on a show. I stopped for another frame, this time catching it glowing through the silhouettes of the trees.



~~~
A little further along, I spotted a Black Drongo perched quietly on a branch, its long forked tail giving it an unmistakable silhouette.



~~~
The morning light was getting better by the minute. I came across this lovely view where the sun appeared perfectly framed by the trees, with its reflection stretching across the lake.



~~~
The golden light continued to follow me along the shoreline.



~~~
In the foliage, I noticed some movement and stopped to investigate. It turned out to be a White-throated Kingfisher with a rather ambitious catch. The fish looked almost too big for it, and the bird was having quite a struggle trying to swallow the whole thing.



~~~
After a few attempts, it finally decided to take off, still clutching its rather oversized breakfast.



~~~
Further along, I came across a Common Coot perched on a fallen branch, looking rather pleased with itself.



~~~
I spotted a Black Kite tucked away in the tangle of branches. It was almost perfectly camouflaged, sitting quietly in what looked like a rather chaotic nest.



~~~
The kite didn’t stay hidden for long. It suddenly took off from the nest, giving me a much better look as it spread its wings and glided away through the branches.



~~~
Among the ducks, one particular Spot-billed Duck caught my attention.




~~~
A little later, I found two Spot-billed Ducks swimming together. The morning light was now just right, bringing out the beautiful patterns on their plumage and their reflections in the calm water.



~~~
Further along, I spotted an Asian Openbill standing quietly among the reeds.





~~~
I then came across a little group of Spot-billed Ducks resting among the reeds.




~~~
And then, another White-throated Kingfisher showed up, this time perched beautifully on a weathered tree stump.



~~~
Clusters of vivid pink water lilies rose above the surface, their reflections shimmering around the weathered tree stump.



~~~
The kingfisher was not done yet. After pausing on the weathered stump, it suddenly launched itself into the air.




~~~
A little farther along, a Great Cormorant stood high above the lake on a bare, weathered branch.



~~~
Then, high above the water, I noticed a Brahminy Kite perched on a bare branch.



~~~
On a nearby ficus tree, I spotted a Spotted Owlet tucked among the branches.



~~~
I scanned each branch and tree cavity carefully, and finally found this little peeping tom. A Spotted Owlet was peeking out from a narrow hollow in the trunk.



~~~
And then I found two more owlets sitting very close together.



~~~
Then I reached the water lilies area, where the lake opened up into a beautiful carpet of pink blooms and reflections.



~~~
The calm water created perfect reflections, turning the scene into a natural painting.






~~~
I spotted a Little Cormorant perched quietly on a dead tree.



~~~

A Black Kite settled into the treetop, quietly watching the world go by.



~~~
Then, among the tangled branches, a flash of blue caught my eye. A Common Kingfisher was perched quietly on a slender branch.



~~~
The Common Kingfisher has striking electric blue plumage, vivid orange underparts, and that long pointed bill.



~~~
And then, just as I thought the kingfisher sightings were over, another one appeared, hovering between the trees with its wings spread wide. A beautiful Pied Kingfisher, caught in a fleeting moment before it disappeared into the woodland.



~~~
And the final sighting of the morning was a pair of wetland companions, a Common Coot and a Common Moorhen, quietly going about their business among the floating vegetation.



~~~
Not a bad way to spend a Sunday morning after all.

Hope you enjoyed the post. Do leave a comment and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.