A leisurely morning at Mulluru Lake with CA rewarded us with a wonderful mix of wetland birds, woodland species, butterflies, and an Indian Rock Agama. Here are some of the highlights from the morning.
~~~
The birding began right at the entrance, where a leafless tree packed with Black-headed Ibises was the first sight to greet us.
~~~
As we watched, the ibises went about their morning routine, preening, stretching, and occasionally hopping between branches.
~~~
The ibises weren't the only ones using the tree. A pair of Common Mynas shared it, seemingly unfazed by their much larger neighbours.
~~~
It was a pleasant surprise to find a Red-rumped Swallow resting quietly in the open.
~~~
The roadside wires doubled as perfect perches for Asian Green Bee-eaters. We watched one patiently scanning for prey before returning with a freshly caught dragonfly.
~~~
We first heard the rhythmic "tuk...tuk...tuk" before spotting a pair of Coppersmith Barbets perched near the top of a bare tree.
~~~
Among the lake's regular residents, the Eurasian Coot was hard to miss. One paddled quietly past us, its crisp white shield mirrored perfectly in the still water.
~~~
A pair of Indian Spot-billed Ducks had claimed a lone rock in the middle of the lake. One stood balancing comfortably on a single leg while the other waited nearby.
~~~
After a while, the roles reversed, with the resting bird slipping into the water and its companion stepping up to take over the coveted perch.
~~~
Sandwiched between two branches, the Red-whiskered Bulbul offered a beautifully framed portrait.
~~~
Another Coppersmith Barbet made an appearance.
~~~
The White-cheeked Barbet played a game of hide-and-seek, peeking from behind the branches before revealing itself just long enough for a photograph.
~~~
The Red-rumped Swallows kept us entertained, alternating between quiet perches and graceful take-offs.
~~~
A Rose-ringed Parakeet arrived in style, flaring its wings as it landed on a bare branch.
~~~
There was certainly no shortage of Little Grebes at Mulluru Lake. Singles, pairs, and loose groups dotted the water, constantly diving beneath the surface before popping up somewhere unexpected.
~~~
This colourful Common Jezebel butterfly was a delightful find among the flowering lantana.
~~~
A Common Moorhen ventured out from the reeds.
~~~
The date palm hosted an entire Baya Weaver colony, with nests in various stages of construction and occupancy. Several males were simultaneously weaving, calling, and displaying around their nests.
~~~
Another pleasant sighting was an Ashy Woodswallow, perched calmly on a utility wire.
~~~
We also watched a Jerdon's Bushlark busily collecting nesting material.
~~~
The bird repeatedly gathered dry grass and other fine plant material before flying off to its concealed nest, making several trips back and forth between the nesting site and nearby patches of vegetation.
~~~
The Morning Glory vines were in full bloom, draping the lakeside vegetation with delicate violet trumpets.
~~~
An Indian White-eye offered an extended photographic opportunity as it moved through the foliage, pausing to inspect leaves, flowers, and berries.
~~~
A Glossy Ibis foraged through the shallows while a Common Moorhen looked on from the tangled branches behind.
~~~
A Black-winged Stilt patiently scanned the shallows for its next meal.
~~~
The morning ended with a juvenile South Indian Rock Agama, its cryptic patterning making it almost invisible against the stone.
~~~
Having completed a full circuit of the lake, we found ourselves back at the entrance. It had been a thoroughly satisfying morning of birding and photography, with plenty of memorable sightings along the way. I hope you enjoyed this post.
Do share your thoughts in the comments below.

















































So many beautiful birds.The unique nests are interesting to see! Na.ture is amazing
ReplyDeleteThank you dear friend. I appreciate you and your wonderful photos and comments. Aloha!
ReplyDeleteI like the little bee-eater. So lovely!
ReplyDeleteSo many wonderful birds - I've never seen a black-headed ibis. The ones here in Florida are just solid white - lots of them! Love all the others especially the white eye with his colorful little head.
ReplyDeleteAnother excellent post, most of the birds I have never seen in the wild. Some at the zoo. But not many. Thank you for expanding my world a little bit.
ReplyDeleteAmazing nests in the palm trees.
ReplyDeleteOh my the nests are incredible, and the white-eye is just too adroable. Speaking for the reader like me, this was really very satisfying to see your photos. I could only imagine how gratifying these excursions are to you. Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteWorth a Thousand Words
Beautiful sights
ReplyDeleteSuch an abundance of beauty, I enjoyed all the birds.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
One of the photos, the ibises look like fruit on a tree, only at close up they look like birds
ReplyDeleteHappy Friday
My link party today
HERE
Much love
What a delightful set of pictures!
ReplyDeleteI like the Ibis and those weaver nests are so unique. Thank you for linking up!
ReplyDeleteI love the Ibis and Black-winged Stilts, but there are so many amazing birds there.
ReplyDeleteHello, Shiju
ReplyDeleteAnother beautiful post filled with lovely birds. It is hard to pick a favorite I love them all. The weaver's nest are amazing.
Beautiful collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Stunning series of Birds, Truly awesome photography.
ReplyDeleteGreetings.
The Asian Green Bee-eater is oh-so sweet! Was Monet helping to create the Coppersmith Barbets dress? ALL the colors! Water included.
ReplyDeleteTo answer your question: Yes, I did enjoy this post - of course!
Hello Shiju :)
ReplyDeleteAnother fantastic post filled with unforgetable moments. Great captures of the pretty Indian White Eye, the Jerdons Bushlark, collecting nesting material, and the colony of Baya Weaver..It's not that they are my favourites, but they stood out for me, and all of your bird images are lovely, but I can't mention them all individually.. Thank you for sharing your successful birding morning.
All the best
Sonjia.
I’m fond of all the birds you see, and as I view your photos each week, I have begun to feel as if they are as familiar to me as the ones in my North American garden and local woods. This week in our area has been especially difficult from the point of view of birding because wildfires in Canada have smoked us out — our air quality this week has been the worst in the world, much worse than Delhi, India.
ReplyDeleteHave a good week… mae at maefood.blogspot.com
...from the first sight to greet you until the last, you had a gorgeous outing, thanks for sharing it with me.
ReplyDeleteI am sure that a tree filled with ibises was a great welcome and that was followed by a flotilla of grebes - with many other exciting and beautiful birds in between. Sounds like the recipe for a great day.
ReplyDeleteAlways such a pleasure to visit your blog!
ReplyDeleteYour photos are always so beautiful. The white ibis is a fantastic bird.
ReplyDeleteHi Shiju – As always, Cranium Bolts is full of beautiful photos … wetland birds, woodland species, and even butterflies! Thank you so much for sharing your excellent photography. It’s always a pleasure to stop by. John
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your amazing photos of so many birds, I just love seeing all the different varieties that we don't get in my part of Canada.
ReplyDeleteThe Indian White Eye is so striking and I love the Ibis. We have the white Ibis here and I see them often but these are beautiful too. LOVE the weaver colony. It's just crazy to look at! Thanks for sharing and for all of your sweet comments on my blog. The mean the world to me! Hugs, DIane
ReplyDeleteMulluru Lake looks full of life.
ReplyDeleteLoved seeing the weavers busy on the palms, the little grebes diving, and that bulbul framed so nicely.
A really enjoyable morning walk captured so well. 🌿
Your photos are stunning as always, Shiju.
Gorgeous bird captures as always a delight. The weavers nest is amazing. Happy birding and thankyou for visiting my blog this week
ReplyDeleteThe white eyed bird! What fantastisc scenes again. Wonderful! Thank you, dear Blogfriend, for sharing at MosaicMonday... have a good week ahead.
ReplyDeleteGreetings by Heidrun
I wondered what type of species an agama was! I now I know. Great set of pictures - really like the Barbets!
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Hehe, dear Shiju, I think Common Mynas don't realize how small they are compared to Ibises—or they don't care, because I've found them to be quite "cheeky" birds 😉. You saw some very special birds again—Coppersmith Barbets, for example, aren't familiar to me. But you also captured some "good old friends" in beautiful photos. Some birds seemed to really enjoy posing for you. And you also discovered other beauties like the Rock Agama or the Jezebel butterfly—definitely a worthwhile trip!
ReplyDeleteAll the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
These are always so magnificent, stunning, and clear that I just find myself saying, "Wow." You truly do such a wonderful job capturing them every single time.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely stunning captures. Wow!!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful photographs! Your work is amazing.
ReplyDeleteSo many great nature photographs!
ReplyDeleteSo much activity both in the air and the water. And great photos as always.
ReplyDeleteThe Indian White-eye particularly grabbed my attention :)
Je te souhaite également une @gréable journée💋Bisous
ReplyDeleteIs there a saying "the onary old coot?" Such a funny name for a is it a duck? The butterfly as always was so pretty. I never see any here anymore, sadly. Do you know the name of every bird you see? They all are wonderful to see so thanks for sharing. :)
ReplyDeleteThe phrase is actually "ornery old coot," which is just a funny way of calling someone a stubborn old guy. Coots look a lot like ducks, but they are actually related to cranes and have funny lobed toes instead of webbed feet!
DeleteI wish I knew every single bird on sight, but I love trying to figure them out! Appreciate your sweet comment!
Wow ! Shiju I haven't seen Baya nests in recent years I remember how they chose Mango trees in my Garden to make nest, The morning glory is in its prime in the monsoon season. Thanks for sharing with Garden Affair.
ReplyDeleteSome birds do have fasinating necks
ReplyDeleteHappy Monday
My post today is
HERE
Much love
I wonder if there are any birds there you haven't seen yet on your Indian continent. But as always incredible beautiful.
ReplyDelete