Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Thursday, July 09, 2026

Rain-Kissed Saul Kere

The weather wasn't exactly encouraging when I reached Saul Kere. A steady drizzle hung over the lake, and like several other birders, I stayed inside the car, watching the rain and hoping it would ease.

After a while, the drizzle softened to a light mist. It still wasn't ideal weather for carrying a camera, but it seemed manageable. I decided to take my chances, hoping my camera would tolerate the lingering drizzle.

It turned out to be the right decision.

The soft, overcast light brought out beautiful colors, the air was fresh, and the birds seemed more active than I had expected. 

Here are a few highlights from that beautiful, rain-kissed morning at Saul Kere.



~~~
The first frame of the day came almost by accident. A Black-rumped Flameback took off while I was still fine-tuning my camera settings, leaving me just enough time to swing the lens and capture its dramatic departure.



~~~
The Black Kite was in no hurry, circling low overhead and giving me plenty of opportunities to photograph it in flight.





~~~
The Red-wattled Lapwing made sure everyone knew it was around, calling loudly as it defended its nest.





~~~
Unlike the busy lapwing, the Black Drongo seemed content to sit quietly, surveying its surroundings.



~~~
The rain-washed bougainvillea added a burst of color to an already beautiful morning at Saul Kere.



~~~
An egret emerged with a successful catch.




~~~
The Little Egret resumed its slow, deliberate search, scanning the water for its next meal.




~~~
Perched high above the water, the White-throated Kingfisher kept a keen eye on the shallows below.



~~~
After patiently waiting on its perch, the White-throated Kingfisher finally took off, flashing its brilliant blue wings.



~~~
The Indian Spot-billed Ducks didn't wait around. They took off the moment they sensed my presence, giving me a few fleeting flight shots.








~~~
Like many small birds, the Indian White-eyes were constantly on the move, offering only fleeting opportunities for a photograph.



~~~
With its striking rufous plumage and long tail, the Rufous Treepie was hard to miss.



~~~
A Spotted Owlet watched quietly from the safety of its tree hollow.



~~~
The Asian Green Bee-eaters were in constant motion, perching briefly before darting off in pursuit of insects.






~~~
The Indian Silverbill may not demand attention, but it certainly rewards a closer look.



~~~
Every successful hunt ends with a careful return.  A Bee-eater arrives with a freshly caught meal.




~~~

I hope you enjoyed this little journey through Saul Kere. I'd love to hear which sighting or photograph was your favorite. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments!

37 comments:

  1. All beautiful action photos of the birds at Saul Kere. The overcast skies made their colorful plummage stand out even more brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your skill with your camera and ability to spot birds continues to amaze me. What a fantastic post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flameback is a wonderfully descriptive name. Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bird captures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Flameback and the owl in the tree. Nice work! Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These birds are absolutely beautiful, and you captured them magnificently.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great series of photos, Shiju.
    The reddish-brown tree jay and the green bee-eaters are my favorites.
    I wish you a lovely weekend.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing. I love how you're able to capture so many birds in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow fantastic photos of Birds, my favorite Black-rumped Flameback ,Black Kite ,Kingfisher and Spotted Owlet shots. Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A gentle drizzle is a rare event these days. We seem either to have drought or deluge with little in between. Spectacular bird photographs, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When parts of the world are on fire, it is lovely to see how rain can refresh. The owl cuddled in the tree is a precious capture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Shiju,
    I love all the birds in flight, awesome captures! The the Little Egret with the fish, the White -eyes , the kingfisher, the bee-eater and the owl are all beautifully photographed. I love the bougainvillea too, love the colors. Great post! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The light really is special in these pics! My cam is waterproof - but of course much simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! that flameback certainly lives up to its name, it's a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the birds in flight have been captured beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...that was an amazing accident. Your images of birds in flight are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Owls and kingfishers are always a treat to see. Your photos of them capture the charm that I find in them.
    best…. mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had all these good comments on the birds...and then I saw the Owlet! You know that little guy stole the show. The first photo is quite a great shot though. Love the small White Egret and fish too. What a good outing. Well done! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. It seemed to be a perfect photo light. Love the White-throated Kingfisher, of course. And the owlet.
    /Irene

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad your visit was not a wash-out. Your photos are of course incredible. That owlet is simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. All birds are lovely here. But my special Favorit is of course the Kingfisher. Thank you very much for sharing at MosaicMonday and your nice comment too.

    Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marvelous 'rain kissed' photos ~ favorite is the owl in the tree hollow~ Wow!
    Thanks for commenting on my blog ~ Happy Week to you ~ Namaste ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Shiju :)
    Spectacular bird photos. I really can't chose a favorite, they are all beautiful birds and beautifully captured. I liked the shot of the flowers
    Have a good week
    All the best
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
  24. These bird photographs are top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome photos
    Happy Monday
    My Monday post today
    HERE

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  26. You picked the perfect day to be at Saul Kere. You had such fantastic sightings. I tried to pick one or two favorites but I just couldn't narrow it down that closely. They are all marvelous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Shiju,
    What a great pictures. So fantastic all these special kind of birds.
    You have made all so well. I have enjoyed of this report with shots. Very nice!!

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing aerial shots today. Dazzling color on the fly. But the owl shot is my favorite. So intense. What a morning. Wet and wild.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful bird photos! That first one of the Flameback made me exclaim, Oh my God! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your eye for detail and timing with the camera is just incredible.
    Stunning photos as always, Shiju.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your stop action (think that's what its called) is amazing and they're all such beautiful birds. Glad the day turned okay for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I lot of great in-flight shots, impressive and beautiful as always. I particularly liked the Black-rumped Flameback and the egret showing off!

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You're considerable talent and wonderful birds are only improving with every post!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Je te souhaite une bonne fin de journée

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.