Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Birds of Lalbagh

Sunday morning birding trip to Lalbagh, Bangalore was quite good with some really pleasant surprises. I had an impromptu meeting with the good folks of Birdwatchers' Field Club of Bangalore. More about them at the end of this post.
Here's a photo tour...




I reached Lalbagh in time to see the glorious sunrise...


An Indian Spot-billed duck was at its reflective best. The male has a red spot on the base of the bill, which is absent or inconspicuous in the smaller but otherwise similar female...





Chestnut-tailed starling...


The morning walkers bring loads of grains to feed the pigeons, rose-ringed parakeets and squirrels...


The feeding frenzy was quite a sight...





Ashy Drongo...


Ashy Drongo is a migratory bird. It is seen here only during winter...


As I was watching, it caught a bee...


White Dombeya flowers produce a sweet pleasant smell...


Pink Dombeya flowers...



Brahminy Kite...


A Verditer Flycatcher was such a tease. I got a glimpse for just a second which explains the bad photo quality...


Little Egret...




Saraca Asoca flower. Commonly known as Ashoka tree, it is an important tree in the cultural traditions of the Indian subcontinent and adjacent areas...



A Common Jezebel butterfly that was sucking nectar had wings in the same colour combination as the Saraca Asoca flowers...



A pair of Spotted Owlet were sitting with their eyes closed...



After a while, one of them opened one eye to check the surroundings...


Another one opened both eyes for a second...





Rose-ringed Parakeet...








Male Oriental Magpie Robin...


Oriental Magpie Robins are particularly well known for their songs and were once popular as cagebirds...


The Birdwatchers' Field Club of Bangalore is a birdwatching club in Bangalore founded in the 1970s.
An informal organization, it meets every second Sunday of the month at 7:30 am in the Lalbagh Glass House. No membership fees or other formalities are needed to be a part of the group. Other trips happen at the Hebbal Lake on the 1st Sunday of every month at 7:30 am and near Bannerghatta National Park on the 3rd Sunday of every month at 6:30 am. 4th Sunday around Sarjapur. Intimations for the trips are made on the email discussion group.  

42 comments:

  1. Wonderful captures of the nature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images, each lovelier than the last

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flora and fauna of Bangalore are stunning in their beauty and variety. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous photos at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/12/at-dusk.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful photos...the butterfly wins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every shot is perfection, but my favorite is of the rose-ringed parakeet. Beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent captures. Looks like you were stalking the parrots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fabulous. What a treat to see parakeets and owls.We have owls but i've only seen parakeets in cages in our area

    ReplyDelete
  8. That owl looks less than motivated. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! These photos are just breathtaking! I love bird watching and these are some really amazing birds to see. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent captures. The Rose Ringed Parakeet is new to me---beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have such wonderful and interesting photos! The image of the drongo with a bee is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photography is so crisp and clear. Love birds and the owls are my favorite! Thank you for linking up today and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing photos! What a wonderful variety of sightings. Enjoyed every one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, such beautiful photos of birds and flowers! This looks like a beautiful place to visit.

    - Natalie A.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your shot of the parakeet coming in for a landing among the feeding frenzy - by far my favorite. I also thoroughly enjoyed your series with the owlets ... reminds me of my kids when they were younger ... hard to wake up from a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh,wow, you have surpassed yourself this week with such awesome shots... How lovely, thank you for sharing your world, it was a wonderful experience scrolling through your very beautiful photographs tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  17. My, oh, my - what stunning shots ... all of them are remarkable - but those parakeets just take my breath away! What a jolt of electric color! Remarkable! Thanks, again, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos are stunning! I Love seeing all the different shots you have captured here. Thank you and the green color of the parakeets was a sight to see! WOw! SO colorful and beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your weekend. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such beautiful pictures! I love the owlets with their eyes closed! Thanks for sharing at The Blogger's Pit Stop! Roseann from www.thisautoimmunelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, beautiful photography! Those little owlets look like fur balls.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous photographs of all the birds, I love those Owlets and that sunrose is stunning. Have a great weeokend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, gorgeous sunrise capture. The birds are lovely, your photos are always amazing. The Parakeets are one of my favorites, along with the cute owls. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your shots are all awesome, and i much love the parakeets with incredible timing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Owlets made me smile!! Thanks for sharing on just BE.
    robin.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always look forward to your images!!!
    Such beautiful photos all the way around, from flowers to the birds, to the sunset with birds taking flight silhouetted. Wonderful.

    I am taking a couple of weeks off for the holidays and company, so I am anxious to return to view your quality blog.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks like a bountiful outing for your birding club.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am loving your nature photos! You do an amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful photos, but I must admit I have aways had soft spot for owls. Thank you for sharing your wonderful birds and that beautiful butterfly!
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  29. lot of sightings, please add me into the email discussion groups, i would like to join for bird photography for Hebbal lake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send a subscribe request by introducing yourself to bngbirds-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Delete
  30. Wow, nice post with awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing this post. Pictures were really awesome and that inspires me to travel this place. Actually i am planning for my trip to Banglore this weekend and looking for best places to visit. This blog really helps me to plan my trips. If anyone wants to travel Bangalore, then book bus tickets in Parveen Travels to comfort the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your pictures are wonderful and I find each of the birds delightful. Love the sleepy owlets & the parakeets especially.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.