Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Thursday, September 17, 2026

The Long Walk for a European Roller

I went to Hoskote Lake for a quick birding trip and somehow came back having walked 8 kilometres. And I have a European Roller to thank for it.

This surprise visitor from afar had turned up at Hoskote, and naturally, I couldn’t resist going in search of it. So off I went, camera in hand, walking through the open grasslands and scanning every possible perch, while the sun did its best to cook me alive.

But the long walk wasn’t entirely about the Roller. A few other interesting birds turned up along the way, making the sweaty trek a little more worthwhile.

So, follow me on this very tiring birding trip to Hoskote Lake.



~~~
I started late and reached Hoskote Lake around 8 AM, planning to spend just 45 minutes to an hour before heading back. At this point, I had no idea about the European Roller sighting or the long walk that awaited me.


The first birds to greet me were these Indian Spot-billed Ducks, calmly enjoying the morning in the lake. A pleasant start to what I thought would be a short outing.





~~~
I spotted this White-throated Kingfisher perched quietly on a dead branch. A familiar sight around here, but still hard to resist when it gives you a clean pose like this.



~~~
I walked further into the grasslands and found this Tawny Eagle perched on a dead tree stump. The cars in the background were a bit distracting, but with nearly a dozen cars lined up, they were hard to ignore. Clearly, something interesting was happening here, and I started wondering what everyone else had come to see.



~~~
On my way towards the cars, I crossed these beautiful marigold fields, making for a colourful little detour before I found out what had brought everyone here.




~~~
A Jungle Myna caught my attention next, looking rather dapper with its stylish tuft and striking blue eyes.



~~~
And then came an Indian Roller, adding another splash of blue to the morning. I was still completely unaware of the European Roller that had brought all those birders here.




~~~
Just then, I met a birder driving back who asked, “Did you see the Roller nearby?” I confidently said yes, thinking of the Indian Roller I had just seen.

Then came the follow-up: “European?”

And there it was. The penny finally dropped. I had been admiring the wrong Roller while nearly a dozen cars of birders were parked there for the real prize. Clearly, I needed to pay a little more attention to the birding gossip.


It was another long walk towards the cars, but when I got there, not a single birder was in sight. They had probably walked much farther into the grasslands in search of the Roller. I had found the cars, but apparently not the birders.


I roamed around looking for a sign of civilization, feeling increasingly like Man vs. Wild, and found this Green Sandpiper instead. At this point, I’ll take it.



~~~
The Red-wattled Lapwing was enjoying the quiet too. With no birders around, it had the whole grassland to itself and seemed perfectly happy keeping things peaceful.




~~~
Normally, a Red Avadavat would have me pretty excited. But today, with the European Roller somewhere out there and no clue where the other birders had gone, even this beauty came with a nagging feeling that I was missing out.



~~~
I finally spotted a few birders who pointed me in the right direction, but also warned me not to venture out into the sun. The Roller was about 2 km away, with another 2 km back.

I asked one of them to show me a photo, and he pulled up a shot of the European Roller in flight. That was all the motivation I needed. Against my better judgement, I decided to take on the 4 km trek alone.


~~~
Ahead of me was endless grassland, dotted with dry, leafless trees. It was a long, lonely stretch with plenty of sun and no shade, but somewhere out there was the European Roller I had come all this way to see.



~~~
Along the way, I spotted this juvenile or female Pied Bushchat perched on a wire. Another little distraction on my increasingly long walk towards the Roller.



~~~
And finally, after all that walking, I found what I had come for. The European Roller. Suddenly, the 4 kilometre trek in the heat didn’t seem quite as crazy. Almost.



Some European Rollers cross thousands of kilometres during migration. I managed 4 km through the Hoskote grasslands and was already questioning my life choices.


~~~
I waited for the Roller to take off, camera ready. And finally, it did, flashing its brilliant blue wings in the sunlight. For a moment, the long walk and the scorching heat were completely forgotten.



~~~
On the way back, I spotted an Oriental Skylark, my final sighting of the day. A nice way to end the birding, if only my legs had agreed.





In total, what was supposed to be a 45 minute to 1 hour visit turned into an 8 kilometre round trip, with the 4 kilometre Roller detour making up the extra distance. Not quite the quick morning outing I had planned, but definitely one I won’t forget.


Share your thoughts in the comments below.

43 comments:

  1. Dear Shiju, how nice of the European Roller to give you so much exercise 😉! For my taste, the other bird sightings were already sensational—especially the Indian Roller in all its colorful glory. But I understand completely: when there’s a specific target you’re longing for, you don’t want to settle for anything else. And clearly, news of the European Roller sighting spread like wildfire among India’s bird enthusiasts, given how many birders were there! I offer my heartfelt congratulations that you were actually able to not just SEE this beautiful bird, but also capture such a sensationally beautiful photo of it in flight! GREAT! All the best from Austria 🤗
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/09/sommerliche-tage-ein-bunter.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shiju,
    What a wonderful series of photos this is.
    The white-throated kingfisher and the Indian roller are my favorites.
    I wish you a lovely weekend.
    I think the blog list on Blogger is working again.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. We’ll have to adjust the familiar refrain, “Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun!” The things we do for a glimpse of a rare bird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were definitely suffering for your art. What an amazing, beautiful bird you found. Thank you for taking that long walk across the burning prairie to find it. A true photoblogger you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That arc from "I think I already saw the Roller" to realizing you'd been admiring the wrong bird entirely is exactly the kind of birding drama that's so relatable. The extra 4 km trek through the scorching sun for the European Roller says everything about how much dedication this hobby demands, and the moment it finally took off flashing those blue wings must have made it all worthwhile. The Indian Roller, Tawny Eagle, and Pied Bushchat were great bonus sightings along the way too. Thanks for taking us along on this exhausting but wonderful morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful bird. I'm glad you were able to finally capture the shots you were after. You certainly earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you were able to capture the shots you wanted. I do love the Tawny Eagle! Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know what I imagined a European Roller to be (although, knowing you, it was a bird or creature!) but I would have thought it to be some kind of rolling machine made in or used in Europe. See, we learn new things every day on the blog. And you saw so many wonderful things this day. What a fabulous place for your long hike!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of your birds today are beautiful. I do love the wing colors on the European Roller.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I come for the bird photos, but the field of marigolds is a pleasant bonus!

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the spotting. Good thing about being bird photography is you walk a lot which keeps you healthy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truly awesome birds, Fantastic clicks. Spot-billed Ducks, Roller my favorite. Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Friday
    Lovrly birds and sky
    I sm 28 on the linky

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  14. A gorgeous array of birds on your outing. You also managed to get some great shots of the European Roller.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delight, to get that bird!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Kingfisher is a joy to see always! And the marigold fields... here we had near to no flowers on the balcony, such a pity.
    The Roller in flight is quite a sight to see. Thank you for a summerly escape in this rather cold, grey weather.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Shiju,
    Awesome outing, I am glad you were able to see the European Roller, Congratulations on your sighting and great photo.
    All your bird images are lovely, I enjoyed them all. The field of marigold looks beautiful. Great post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The things we do to see a rare bird. Congratulations on finding it -- and all the other beautiful birds of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Shiju!!
    What an amzing pictures you have made again. They are so very nice and very well taken.
    Fantastic all birds which I have never seen before and that is so special. It leaves me speechless.
    That kingfisher, the Indian Roller and the Eagle, they are all so nice!!
    Big, big compliments Shiju for these results.

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
  20. ...thanks for taking me on this long walk, it sure was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great captures as always! The jungle myna looks like a terrorist!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG! One photo is better than the next. What fabulous photos you take and you have captured such beautiful birds. Thank yo u.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent photos of your walk. Beautiful birds, nice colours. Have a nice weekend ! Greets

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Shiju, Wow, what a great trip to Hoskote Lake and thank you for sharing your photography! The White-throated Kingfisher is an amazing capture! And so it the Tawny Eagle, and Shiju … I think that may be the first time I’ve seen a Tawny Eagle! Do you know if they are in America? It reminds me of a Golden Eagle. Another beauty … the Red Avadavat. It may be another first for me! And another Wow … so happy for you to capture the European Roller! Nature leaves me in awe with its ability to create beautiful creatures. Thank you for sharing, Shiju, and thank you for your recent kind comment on my blog. Happy weekend and week ahead to you and yours. John

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! As usual, you've captured some glorious birds with your camera lens. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wowzers!!! all of these images are really spectacular!! looks like hoskote lake really paid off, but it is your supreme talent that makes these images come alive. i hope these pics are being published somewhere besides here....they should be published!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Getting to see it with your camera at the ready made it all worthwhile. And the bird in flight is perfect! How else could you see all of the different colors. The Red A. is still one of my favorites with the color and little dots. It looks like something an artist would dream up! Wonderful sightings and I'm so glad you persevered! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another wonderful blog for my eyes, soul, and heart.
    Beautiful shots, so vivid, if you look at my profile I also have two blogs of this Blue sky and Photo showcase. Welcome!
    Greetings from my land of Slovenia, I added you as a Friend, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a determined birding adventure! All that walking for one beautiful European Roller – and the other wonderful sightings along the way were a fantastic bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The Tawny Eagle is it called wins my award for cuteness, what a pretty eagle he is. Thank you for all the lovely critters enjoying their world.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, I believe you was very successful. The many captures speaks about a wonderful Day. Thank you for sharing your walk with MosaicMonday again. I admire your power walking this long way too.
    Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think both 'Rollers' are awesome ~ equally as beautiful along with your very professional photos of other birds ~ the European Roller in flight is quite the capture ~ Namaste ~

    ReplyDelete
  33. it certainly looks like the long walk was worth it in the heat. Did you have a hat and a bottle of water? We need to be careful out trecking. You also saw a lot of other birds along the way, making for a great day out. Have a great week, and thank you for visiting my blog this week. I am glad you got to see our critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yes, I made sure to stay hydrated and keep the sun off. Have a wonderful week ahead as well!

      Delete
  34. Certainly a bird walking kilometres for! Particularly as you saw so many other birds along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you beautiful friend for this healing nature walk

    ReplyDelete
  36. Rollers of any species are alway a joy to see - all of my most recent views have been rather distant - would love to catch up with one again.
    Cheers - Stewart M - Bologna, Italy

    ReplyDelete
  37. That Kingfisher looks kinda angry.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Glad you found your goal. That photo of the European Roller in mid-flight with the wings spread is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That is quite a walk if you walked 8 kilometers. And in the heat, too. You were literally roasted, as you yourself say. Ouch...... I went along with you to this Hotskote lake.

    I see the most beautiful birds passing by again, including that beautiful kingfisher. But.... I see truly beautiful birds here and that is amazing to see. So cool that you also came across this special bird and were able to photograph it. That made the walk more than worth it.

    Regards,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love the field of flowers and the colorful birds. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.