Last Sunday, I woke up later than usual and headed to Muthanallur Lake, reaching well past the golden hour. Thankfully, it was an overcast morning, which made the walk a lot less tiring and the birding surprisingly rewarding. Sightings came steadily as I made my way around the lake.
Here’s the haul from the morning.
~~~
The first sighting of the morning was, for me, the prettiest of the day. A Tawny-bellied Babbler perched quietly among the thorny branches.
~~~
The White-bellied Drongo made a couple of appearances.
~~~
The male Indian Robin gave me some great looks, posing nicely on a couple of different perches.
~~~
A White-rumped Munia perched quietly on a slender branch.
~~~
A breeding male Streaked Weaver stood out with that bright yellow crown against the grey morning sky.
~~~
It was my first time seeing a juvenile Oriental Magpie-Robin. Quite different from the familiar adults, and a lovely little surprise.
~~~
The grass was full of Red Avadavats, quietly moving through the reeds. Getting them to sit still was another matter altogether.
~~~
The Red Avadavats were easily among the most fun to watch. They kept disappearing into the grass and popping out again, making me work for every decent frame.
~~~
A small flock of Great Cormorants flew overhead, looking especially dramatic against the heavy morning sky.
~~~
A Baya Weaver perched quietly among the grass, looking rather different from the bright breeding males.
~~~
The juveniles were giving me a tough time with the IDs. This one turned out to be a juvenile Indian Robin.
~~~
A Small Salmon Arab was another nice find along the way, adding a bit of colour to the morning.
~~~
A male Pied Bushchat perched quietly on a wire, making for a clean frame.
~~~
A Common Tailorbird gave me a brief look as it moved through the foliage.
~~~
A prized catch from the morning was this Yellow Bittern, perched rather unexpectedly on a tree branch.
~~~
The next 15 minutes were spent trying to catch a Black Drongo in mid-flight as it chased insects. Not an easy target, but this one made the effort worthwhile.
~~~
A pair of male Red Avadavats turned up again, perched together on a cattail.
~~~
And then came a female Red Avadavat, perched beautifully on a grass stem. A much quieter pose than the males, but just as lovely.
~~~
I ventured into the grass, and the colours alone made the walk worthwhile. Shades of green, gold and brown stretched all around, making for some lovely landscapes along the way.
~~~
A Pale-billed Flowerpecker with a not-so-pale bill. Turns out, it was a chick.
~~~
A male Baya Weaver was watching his nest intently from a distance.
~~~
Then I understood why. A female had accepted his nest and was inspecting it closely, with the nest nearing completion before breeding.
~~~
I came across a small pond choked with reeds and weeds, where a colony of Streaked Weavers had claimed the spot for nesting.
~~~
Soon, a male Streaked Weaver arrived at a nest that was still very much a work in progress.
~~~
There was a Blue Marsh Hawk perched nearby in the reeds.
~~~
Now the sky opened up, with vivid blue stretching above the grassland and clouds rolling across the horizon.
~~~
Then, tucked among the glossy green leaves, I came across a Common Gull, its yellow, black and white wings standing out beautifully against the deep green foliage.
~~~
The final sighting of the day was a Paddyfield Pipit, quietly moving through the grass before I called it a day.
~~~
Hope you enjoyed this late morning walk around Muthanallur Lake. Do share your thoughts!




































Hi Shiju, excellent photos of the birds. They have beautiful colours. Have a nice day ! Greets
ReplyDeleteGreat series of photos, Shiju.
ReplyDeleteSo nice to see so many different species.
All the best, Irma
The Baja Weaver nests are so fascinating to see! Such perfection of design.
ReplyDeleteIncredible photos you have for us again today
ReplyDeleteWow! I feel lucky to see just a few birds and those seem dull and totally unexciting compared to the ones you have shown! I think I have taken a liking to the avadavats- so pretty and unusual! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThe flowerpicker image is so perfect for a Autumn/Harvest greeting card.
ReplyDeleteWorth a Thousand Words
Rural greens are quite tempting to capture. Yet to spot red avadavats
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely stunning photos.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots.
ReplyDeleteYour skies are like paintings. Beautiful shots of a lot of beautiful little birds, all with interesting names.
ReplyDeletebeautiful, beautiful images
ReplyDeleteNot hard to appreciate why the Tawny-bellied Babbler was the bird of the day. It is exquisite.
ReplyDeleteGreat outing Shiju! I love all the photos, your bird photography is awesome to see. The Yellow Bittern is a prize catch.
ReplyDeleteI would be a happy bird watcher seeing all of these birds. Well done! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Dear Shiju,
ReplyDeleteyour late morning outing proves that it's not just the early bird that catches the worm, as the saying goes 😅. Many birds were out and about, showing you their lovely appearance, their intricately woven nests, and their balancing acts on the grasses. May I ask why the sighting of the Tawny-bellied Babbler was your highlight of the day? David apparently knows, but I don't 😉... It looks cute, but for me, a "philistine", it's rather unspectacular. Is this a "Lifer" of yours or a rather rare bird? Or is this one particularly pretty?
All the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/08/sommerliche-tage-2026-ein-bunter.html
Haha, so true!
DeleteIt wasn't a new bird for me. But since 90% of your shots turn out blurry, landing one clear photo makes it instantly attractive!
😁
Delete...a good haul indeed, thanks for taking me along, I enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteAmazing photos. All the pretty birds stayed late, waiting for you.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
Wow on all the different shapes and colors, like the Pale-billed Flowerpecker, perfect! Have a great day and I look forward to your next entry :-)
ReplyDeleteHow can you pick a favorite. I think the Red Advo...birds are amazing out in the grasses. They just don't look real. And the close ups are good to show the details. Of course I always love those wild nests! What a good outing and fantastic photos! Happy weekend my friend!
ReplyDeleteI like the weaver with the fluffy, yellow head. I enjoy the detail you capture with your photos. Always such perfect details! Thank you for linking up.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your post, Awesome birds, my favourite Red Avadavats, Great Cormorants shots. butterflies looks great.
ReplyDeleteKikeriki says the bird here near in the morning... 🤣 Fun indeed. Today I learned again many Details about different birds. Thank you for sharing at MosaicMonday
ReplyDeleteGreetings by Heidrun
thanks for commenting on my blog ~ but can't get to your blog with the 'avatar' ~ need the URL that starts with https ~ had to go back to Saturday Critters to get here ~
ReplyDeleteThe Weaver nests are always amazing to me ~ Wow! ~ Very professional photography as always ~ Hugs ^_^
namaste ~
https://anartistreflects.com
Your photos are always so beautiful. I love to see the pretty butterflies and birds.
ReplyDeleteWhat a rewarding walk, Shiju! Even with the late start, you managed to spot such a variety--those Red Avadavats sound like cheeky little performers, popping in and out of the grass.
ReplyDeleteI especially enjoyed your capture of the Yellow Bittern perched on a branch.
Your photos are jaw-dropping as always!
What a wonderful morning of birding! So many beautiful sightings, but the Tawny-bellied Babbler and Red Avadavats were particular favourites. Your photographs are so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteFantastic again. Especially those speckled birds. You really don't see those very often.
ReplyDeleteI sure did enjoy the walk! Getting the images out from the camera is a thrill in itself. Each time you look at the wall, you see the walk you took! I was wondering if you use a polarizing filter on your lens?
ReplyDeleteVisiting from Peabea's Photos 'n Scribbles.
Have a fun week
All the best.
Debra @ Life Captured
Life Captured invites you and guests to the link parties Home Page Linkup and My Sunday Snapshot at
https://lifecaptured.site
I actually don't! I shoot in RAW and handle all my contrast and color adjustments in post-processing.
DeleteHello Shiju,
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures you have made. So amazing to see all these special kind of birds.
Shot 8 is very funny with the yellow head. And picture 22 has a very nice pose. You have done this so well. Real enjoyment to see this all.
Greetings, Marco
Hard to find my favorite, but thinking the Red Avadavats with the spots, but all are great captures. Also, I like your framed art on the wall. Have a happy week. :)
ReplyDeleteI thoroughly enjoyed the walk. The male Indian Robin's a chubby little chap!
ReplyDeleteThe Red Avadavats have such interesting markings - very elegant with the dots against the red.
ReplyDeleteI'm always impressed with the architectural creativity of the weaver birds!
Happy WW!
Wow, stunning photos as always. I love the greenery.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing with #Allseasons - such a huge array of birds! Lovely pics
ReplyDeleteWhat a great collection of birds (and others). That Bittern was a great find.
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne