Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Thursday, July 23, 2026

When Hoskote Calls

Weekend mornings have become a little ritual.

Wake up early, pack the camera, skip the overthinking, and head to the place that feels right. This weekend, Hoskote Lake was an easy choice.

I was happy to find the Greater Flamingos still there. I'd seen them during my last visit nearly a month ago, and I was convinced they would have moved on by now. They don't usually stay this long, so it was a pleasant surprise to see them still wading through the lake.

Alongside the flamingos were plenty of familiar birds and a few exciting sightings that made for a wonderful morning in the field.

Here are a few of my favorite shots from the morning.



~~~
The erratic monsoon has begun to breathe life back into Hoskote Lake. Pockets of water have returned, while the exposed lakebed has turned into a lush green grassland.



~~~
A group of Great Cormorants made a low pass across the lake.



~~~
My first stop was the Greater Flamingos. Three of the five juveniles from my previous visit were still there, methodically sweeping their upside-down bills from side to side through the shallow water as they filter-fed. It's a mesmerizing routine that looks more like a choreographed dance than a search for food.

~~~
Every now and then, one would pause to preen, stretch its wings, or simply stand still before returning to its rhythmic feeding routine.






~~~
After feeding for a while, the trio became far more interactive. They stood close together, gently crossing bills, stretching their necks, and occasionally striking elegant poses. Whether it was social bonding or the beginnings of courtship, it was fascinating to watch.






~~~
The breeding season was evident everywhere. After watching the juvenile flamingos, I came across a juvenile Pied Bushchat. Still wearing its mottled juvenile plumage, it made short flights into the grass in search of insects.




~~~
The transformed lakebed has created ideal hunting grounds for a Tawny Eagle. A species that favors open grasslands and scrub, it patiently watched from a dead tree before taking off.



~~~
It seemed to be a morning for young birds. Not long after the juvenile Pied Bushchat, I came across a juvenile White-browed Wagtail. Unlike the striking black-and-white plumage of the adults, this youngster was dressed in soft shades of grey with a subdued white eyebrow.




~~~
One of the more intriguing sightings of the morning was a pair of Red Avadavats collecting nesting material from a recently burned patch. Interestingly, the pair seemed to prefer burnt twigs. Some birds are known to select nesting materials with antimicrobial properties, although it isn't known whether Red Avadavats do this or whether the charred twigs simply happened to be the most accessible choice.




~~~
Breeding activity continued elsewhere as well. A Red-whiskered Bulbul repeatedly visited a fruiting shrub, plucking berries before disappearing into the foliage. It may have been feeding itself, or perhaps delivering food to hungry chicks hidden nearby.



~~~
My focus shifted back to the water, where a pair of Black-winged Stilts caught my eye. They flew low over the surface in perfect synchrony.



~~~
Another welcome sight was a pair of Fulvous Whistling Ducks. Named for their distinctive high-pitched whistling calls rather than the usual quacks, they glided peacefully across the lake, never straying far from one another.



~~~
Before heading back, a White-throated Kingfisher perched quietly among the branches. Despite its name, this adaptable hunter is just as likely to be found away from water, feeding on insects, lizards, frogs, and even small rodents.



~~~
My last sighting of the morning was a male Purple Sunbird in eclipse plumage. Unlike its glossy breeding attire, the eclipse plumage replaces the iridescent purple with olive-brown tones while retaining a bright yellow underside and subtle metallic blue on the wings. The eclipse plumage is a transitional stage between breeding and non-breeding seasons.




As always, Hoskote Lake delivered more than I expected. With the monsoon reshaping the landscape and birds making the most of the season, it was another memorable morning.

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

49 comments:

  1. Hello Shiju,
    Great series of photos from your trip to Hoskote Lake
    I think the pair of reed avatadavaten is stunning, especially the one with the red color.
    The video of the flamingos is also very beautiful to watch.
    I wish you a wonderful weekend.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful series of photos from your trip. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you included the video. So funny to see the flamingos walking around with their heads under water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing photography and I love the assortment of birds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Shiju,
    This is great!! What a wonderful shots of all these special birds.
    So nice how you have photograph them. The flamingos are so fantastic.

    Many greetings,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another spectacular post. Imagine seeing flamingoes in the wild. We have them in zoos here. Otherwise I'd never see them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flamingo video was mesmerizing. The three birds seemed so friendly, like a family. I wonder if one was an offspring grown of the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The color on the whistling ducks is quite rare I thought. I haven't seen them in that shade before.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such stunning shots, and the variety of birds is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The flamingos are so graceful and your photos are amazing. A fun way to begin the weekend.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! It really did look like a family, but they’re actually all juveniles hanging out and figuring things out together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful array of bird life. I love flamingos so I can imagine your excitement at seeing them again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Red Avadavat takes me back to the first one I ever saw so many years ago. Wonderful bird. Wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos never fail to delight! If only we had birds like those.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The red avadavat was super click, the other regions in and bangalore have these but this one has got red plumage early. Surprising to see that. Was it recently clicked in July end. Are there only 2adults in Hoskote that you could spot? Was just curious to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw one in breeding plumage earlier this month at Varthur. At Hoskote, I only saw this pair.

      Delete
    2. This was clicked on July 19.

      Delete
  16. Hello, Shiju
    Your bird photos are always stunning, beautifully captured. It is hard to pick a favorite, I loved them all. Great post, well done!
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting to see the Flamingos in action - thank you! And the red one with the white dots! Art!
    And the ducks! What a wonderful color! Do you know the fairy tale with the golden goose? They come close!
    So many beautiful colors! Another fine day to share!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoying your post and photography, Amazing Flamingos, Loved all bird pics, Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...I'm glad that Hoskote called you again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The red avadavat and the whistling ducks are my favourites today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great birds. So many that never overlap with my birding expeditions. I did see avadavits in Hawaii where they have been introduced, and some that have a global presence. Your photos are always remarkable.
    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Shiju :)
    These are the images that I found stunning to see. the juvenile Pied Bushchat, White-browed Wagtail, Purple Sunbird, and the beautiful Red Avadavats. I don't have time to see the video, but will return when I'm able.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some amazing looking birds, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! so many beautiful birds ~ have never seen a Whistling Duck ~ they are lovely ~ All your photos are so professional and awesome ~ namaste ~

    ReplyDelete
  25. The colorful birds really catch your eye! Love the stilts and of course the flamingoes! WOW! What a nice variety. I wish I could talk myself into going early but our days are hot to begin with. Soon....I'll get back out there soon! You are an inspiration always my friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow professional shots again. Wonderful .

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such gorgeous birds to photograph. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your photos are always so beautiful. The Flamingoes looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Shiju, after reviewing your post I got to the comments, and reading through them, I began to smile. I was thinking, how am I going to do any better … they’ve used up all the best adjectives. 😊 Just take a look at this … “Great series of photos, Beautiful series of photos, Amazing photography, This is great, Another spectacular post, The flamingo video was mesmerizing, Such stunning shots, Your photos never fail to delight, Your bird photos are always stunning …” and that’s only a few. 😊 Let me put it this way: We all agree, your posts are wonderful. Thank you, Shiju, for sharing! John

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, the Tawny Eagle is a beauty in color and form. The other birds you have captured well. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Always lovely to see these birds. I particularly enjoyed seeing the flamingoes and their elegant poses and the little film clip. Thankyou. Have a wonderful week ahead and thankyou for visiting my blog yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful photos! Your visit to Hoskote Lake seems to have been a success. The flamingo will be heading in our direction come October.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful photos and descriptions, as always!
    I do like the Whistling ducks for their wonderful color.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Visiting the Flamingos, viewing them is such a special in nature.
    Thank you for sharing at MosaicMonday

    Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  35. My first visit. Pictorial Tuesday brought me. Your images are beautiful. I would be interested knowing what lens you are shooting with- 500mm? Stunning!
    All the best.
    Debra @ Life Captured

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words about my images!
      To answer your question, it was captured using a Tamron 150-600mm.

      Delete
  36. I've missed your atmosphere with such beauties from the nature. Lovely notebook
    with images. Probably you have many!
    Happy WW again, Shiju Sugunan! A fine Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great photos of the flamingos and the ducks, as well as the small birds including the juveniles. It's great to see the lake so vibrant and alive!

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amazing wildlife photos and descriptions. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my gosh what beautiful poses of the flamingos you captured. Love the video. They looked like they were skating at some points. Awesome. You have the best things to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gostei do seu blog e já me juntei aos seus amigos.

    Nova Tirinha Publicada. 😼

    Abraços 🐾 Garfield Tirinhas Oficial.

    ReplyDelete
  41. je te souhaite une tres bonne nuit bon dimanche bisous

    ReplyDelete
  42. Red Avadavats are stunning , they look straight out of some fairy tale book. I adore flamingos, they are suck striking beautiful mammoths. Its always a pleasure to witness your Hoskote birding expedition, Thanks for sharing with Garden Affair.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.