Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Bird Battles and Beautiful Mornings

I had a fun time watching birds at Saul Kere Lake last weekend. I saw a fight between two groups of birds and many other interesting birds. Let's see some photos!



~~~
My morning at Saul Kere Lake started with this beautiful sunrise at 6 AM. The sky was painted with soft colors, and fluffy clouds hung overhead like pillows, as if they were the remnants of a peaceful night's sleep.



~~~
A slight commotion on the electric power lines drew my attention. A gang of Rufous Treepies was engaged in a heated dispute with a larger group of Black Drongos.



~~~
Rufous Treepie is a member of the crow family, Corvidae. They are commonly found in various habitats across India, including forests, agricultural areas, and urban gardens.



~~~
The Rufous Treepie is primarily an arboreal omnivore, feeding on a diverse diet that includes fruits, nectar, seeds, invertebrates, small reptiles, and even the eggs and young of other birds. It has also been known to scavenge on carcasses.



~~~
While Rufous Treepies are typically known to join mixed hunting parties with species like Drongos and Babblers, here, I saw them engaged in a territorial dispute with a gang of Black Drongos.



~~~
The fight gave me many opportunities to capture the birds in flight.

















~~~
After the impromptu show, I spotted a happy-looking dog bathed in the golden light of the morning sun.



~~~
As I continued exploring the park, I played with the morning light and shadows, capturing the scene from different angles. Suddenly, a jogger photobombed the shot, adding a touch of perspective to the image.



~~~
A flash of vibrant blue caught my eye. A White-throated Kingfisher had flown towards me and perched on a branch partially hidden among the leaves.





~~~
The kingfisher's bright blue plumage contrasted beautifully with the green foliage.



~~~
I was hoping for a better shot when, to my surprise, the kingfisher flew closer, landing on a branch right in front of me. It was so close that I had trouble focusing my camera! 




~~~
As I continued my walk, I heard a familiar melody. It was the turn of the Oriental Magpie Robin to sing its cheerful song.



 ~~~
A pair of Rose-ringed Parakeets were perched on a nearby tree, their vibrant plumage contrasting with the blue sky. One of the birds took flight, its wings outstretched and its long tail trailing behind it. I snapped a photo of the bird in mid-air.


~~~
An Asian Green Bee-eater was perched on a branch, holding a dragonfly in its beak. The bird was repeatedly beating the dragonfly against the branch, trying to break its exoskeleton before consuming it. 




 ~~~
I spotted a group of Scaly-breasted Munias perched on a branch nearby. 









 ~~~
I managed to get a photo of the juvenile before it disappeared into the bushes.

 


 ~~~
I spotted one final bird: a White-cheeked Barbet perched on a branch high up in a tree.


 I had a fantastic time observing and photographing these amazing creatures. What was your favorite part of the trip? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful series of photos Shiju.
    Nice to see how the birds fight with each other.
    The Kingfishers are great, well photographed.
    I also think the dog in the light is great.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rufous Treepies are very entertaining birds. I have spent many happy moments with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You caught the playfulness of the birds. So colourful and so fun

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.