Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Glued to Saul Kere lake

Saul Kere has a way of sticking with you, and not just because of the vibrant green landscape reflected in its still waters. This past trip, I found myself glued to my viewfinder, capturing the incredible sights that unfolded before me. Here are the pics.



~~~
My first sighting was a Common hawk-cuckoo, perched motionless on a branch.  I wished for better light to capture this fascinating bird in all its clarity, but even in the dimness, its piercing yellow eye ring and the beautiful tail held my attention.



~~~
Next, a tiny flash of movement caught my eye. A pale-billed flowerpecker, no bigger than a thumb, flitted among the branches, even landing on a bare one for a moment.



~~~
The morning was perfect. The sun's golden light cast a warm glow on the lush greenery and the still waters of the lake.  It was pure bliss, were it not for the unwelcome intrusion of a nearby construction project.



~~~
The star of the show was a stunning purple-rumped sunbird. This little jewel seemed positively glued to the Tabebuia flowers, flitting from blossom to blossom in a mesmerizing dance for nectar.






~~~
I spotted a Sykes's warbler flitting through the trees!


~~~
An Indian spot-billed duck basked contentedly.



 ~~~
A grey heron, looking every bit the aloof celebrity, was surrounded by a gaggle of black-winged stilts behaving like overzealous fans.


 ~~~
However, as I observed their movements more closely, it dawned on me that this might be something more practical – perhaps a particularly juicy fishing tip being shared by the seasoned heron.



~~~
Talking of celebrity, a painted stork sashayed into view. Its every move exuded an air of glamorous indifference.


~~~

A small crowd had gathered around the stork too.  A dozen or so garganeys, ducks and swamphen circled the area.


 
~~~

Far away, an oriental magpie robin perched on a branch, its black and white plumage gleaming in the sunlight.


~~~
Love was also in the air! A little egret put on a show for its potential mate, complete with bows and flourishes.



~~~
The display seemed to do the trick, for its companion responded by joining in a joyous aerial dance.



~~~
A juvenile white-browed wagtail offered a different kind of charm. Focused and determined, this tiny bird was foraging in the shallows probing the water for hidden insects. 



 ~~~
A wood sandpiper, flew in and perched on the shore just a few feet away. It seemed unfazed by my presence, offering me a fantastic close-up view of its intricate plumage. 


~~~
I managed to spot another common hawk-cuckoo, this one a bit distant but bathed in beautiful light. While the distance limited the details, one feature remained undeniably captivating - its piercing yellow eyes.


~~~
Speaking of captivating eyes, the jungle babblers, common residents of these parts, boast an equally attractive feature – their bright blue peepers. 



~~~
High above the commotion, a white-throated kingfisher sat glued to its perch. It surveyed its domain with a keen eye. 


~~~
A white-cheeked barbet had discovered a berry patch, and let's just say it was having a berry-eating spree!  Click, click, click went my camera as it devoured one berry after another. 







 ~~~
I captured some colorful leaves.



 ~~~
What a fantastic morning at Saul Kere! What was the highlight of your day? Share your thoughts in the comments!

43 comments:

  1. What a fantastic show again but pity of that construction site. That can make a lot of trouble in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those stilts should be wary. Herons are both omnivorous and opportunistic and one might fall prey. There are You Tube videos showing herons swallowing Mallards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. There are a lot of himantopus himatopus I see. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha … the indifferent stork does seem like a bit of a snob with its bill way up in the air. I thoroughly enjoyed your lake excursion, clearly a haven for a great many species of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous shots that make me stick to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure who are the most glamorous, the egrets or the storks! Beautiful photography.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shots! The real intrusion is biggest threat to lake biodiversity. I need to learn identify warblers as well. The common hawk cuckoo was once seen in amruthahalli lake for a week. It was fairly bold and perched close to walk path.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Shiju,
    Great series of photos from your trip to Lake Saul Kere.
    The Stork with its beak in the air is truly amazing.
    I enjoyed all your photos again.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  9. You outdid yourself on this post. What I noticed is the bright vivid colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you dont yet, you could lead a group of birdwatchers or bird photographers. If I were there, I would sign up for your tour.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  11. The berry eater photos are wonderful, especially the one with the berry almost swallowed. Also the dance of the big birds. All-in-all this is a wonderful set of photos.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are blessed with an incredible variety of birds, in your corner of the world. Some of them are really char.
    My favourite is the Painted stork.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    It does look like a fantastic outing, great bird sightings. It is too hard to pick out a favorite, I love them all. The flowers are lovely too. A beautiful collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos are very beautiful. I love the purple-rumbed sunbird, and the very pretty Tabebuia flower. The little egrets are so beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dance of the egrets really is something to see! Love the sunbird and that glorious Painted Stork! Wow! What a beauty! I missed you last week! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...my eyes were glued to the Tabebuia flowers too! I love your header image.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic photography , loved all clicks

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing variety of birds. They are all beautiful. your photography is superb. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Egrets' Love Dance gets the cake. Beautiful birds and wonderful captures, Shiju. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The dancing egret shot is amazing! Enter it into a competition - Wildlife photographer or a National Geographic one. #MySundaySnapshot

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very beautiful and professional series of photos ~ hard to pick a favorite ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Utterly amazing. First I scrolled very quickly through because I couldn't wait to find more about one of the pictures from your mosaic and that was the beautiful painted stork with its bill uplifted -- an amazing picture. Then I went back and looked slowly through every one of the pictures and they were all just as amazing. I loved the courtship series and actually could say the same for every picture. Thank you for sharing. Oh -- and I was surprised at the photo showing those buildings which seem so near to the Lake. I would have guessed that Saul Lake was far away from any urban area. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have a lot of wood storks here in Florida. I haven't captured one yet this season, though. Your last two posts are so colorful! The flowers are amazing, in the field, and trees. Beautiful birds too, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was brilliant, coloured and so close up. I love the Purple-rumped Sunbird, beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  25. This excursion was filled with so many beautiful birds doing what birds do.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the barbet! I actually enjoy them all - you always have such glorious photos!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/03/there-isnt-much-thats-sweeter-than.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely breathtaking captures! My favorite has got to be the Purple-rumped Sunbird, such vibrant colors! Thank you for sharing your stunning photography and giving us a glimpse of the beauty of Saul Kere Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for bringing us up close to the beauty of nature through your lens. How long does it take to take all these photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walk all the way around the lake. If I see something cool, like a bird or something pretty, I stop and look for a while. It takes me about 2 or 3 hours to walk around the whole lake.

      Delete
  29. Beautiful birds and I like the motion in that first photo. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful colors! The egrets are stunning, and the white-cheeked barbet is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I know that I have to speak about your amazing photos. You are blessed with an huge talent to do them in such special places, but I want this time to tell you that I as impressed by the top one, mosaic style and your words.
    I really enjoyed this presentation!
    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What fabulous shots. Wow. I love Mother Nature.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  33. So many wonderful birds at that lake! And such a great little sub-series with the white-cheeked barbet eating the berry and flying off.

    I even find beauty in the overview photo with the lake, sunlight, and contruction projected in the background - an exercise in contrasts.

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome bird photos. I enjoy and love them.. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good evening! I enjoyed so much this post. Thank you for sharing.
    Greetings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  36. aww.... a painted stork action looks so fantastic..... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such beautiful vivid shades of pink against the birds - stunning! Thank you for sharing and thanks for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Magestic! Especially the egrets. We have a hawk here in the USA that looks a lot like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Some dances of birds are beautiful and some are kind of crazy like the emus....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a wonderful series of active bird photography

    ReplyDelete
  41. ...What a fantastic morning at Saul Kere, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.