Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Exploring the Wonders of Saul Kere

Last weekend, armed with binoculars and camera, I ventured into Saul Kere lake, and let me tell you, it was a bonanza!

Here are the pics.





~~~
The morning mist held magic at Saul Kere. There, perched on a tree, was a Great Cormorant, its dark form stark against the backdrop. You had to squint just so to see the sun peek through the hazy curtain.



~~~
The morning mist slowly unfurled, revealing the sun as a blushing ember through the leaves. 



~~~
A white-throated kingfisher couple took turns to swoop for fishing.




~~~
Amidst the joyful dives of the kingfishers, I spotted an Oriental Darter struggling. Tangled in its beak was a colorful scrap of cloth. Thankfully, it freed itself, but the image lingered. Those tiny bits of trash? Yeah, they're not so tiny to a bird with a beak full of fish! Let's all be responsible, or next time it might be a rogue napkin stealing someone's lunch.



~~~
At a distance, a black-winged stilt's nimble steps and a painted stork's patient probes highlighted their individual feeding styles. 



~~~
The lake teemed with water birds. Among them, the black-winged stilts stood out. As I settled down to observe, their ballet unfolded.







~~~
Indian Pond Heron's sharp reflexes made it a small fry snatching champion.




~~~
While their fishing attempts weren't as frequent as the Heron's, the stilts' graceful movements continued to catch my attention.

~~~
And the grey heron was utilizing its signature "skulking" technique. 



~~~
Painted stork, stilts, and ducks: a diverse fishing team united by their hunger.



~~~
The purple heron had chosen a prime location for its bamboo penthouse.



~~~
A wood sandpiper also marked its presence.



~~~
Catching the stilts in interesting poses is even more delightful when two work together.



~~~
The vibrant blooms of the bougainvillea tree provided a colorful backdrop for the animated gathering of grey herons.



~~~
I also managed to capture a grey heron in flight.




 ~~~
The hilarious poses of stilts.

 ~~~
While the stilts captivated me, a painted stork stole the show with its breathtaking pose.



~~~
A little egret with its catch.



~~~
My focus shifted to a large group of black-winged stilts.




~~~
Nature's classroom in action! A stilt teacher, complete with stern expression, schooled three eager students. One, however, seemed to be taking notes on ditching class.



~~~
A marsh harrier's silent descent sent ripples of terror through the reeds as dozens of garganeys erupted in a cacophony of panicked squawks. And I captured their chaotic flight.








~~~
Meanwhile, a white-throated kingfisher stood at the ready, its gleaming beak poised for action.



~~~
Another show of synchrony by the stilts.




~~~
This lesser whistling duck looked like it could barely keep its eyes open, likely from its nightlong hunting expedition.





 ~~~
If there were a competition for sleepiest birds, the spotted owlets would undoubtedly win.





~~~
This male Asian koel seemed to be strutting his stuff, his flashy feathers suggesting he knew he was the best-dressed bird in the area.



~~~
A green bee-eater catches a bee, while the other ruffles its feathers in jealousy.



~~~
An Alexandrine parakeet perched proudly on a branch.



~~~
The sky was clear, dotted with fluffy white clouds, when I wrapped up the birding session.



~~~
As the day's birding faded into memory, I couldn't help but marvel at the diversity of nature. What aspects of nature inspire you the most? Share your thoughts in the comments!


52 comments:

  1. Hello Shiju,
    Beautiful series of photos from your trip to the lake.
    I love the White-throated Kingfishers, just like the Painted Stork and the Black-winged Stilt, what a difference in size of the birds.
    I also like to see the Indian Pond Heron, the Purple Heron and the Wood Sandpiper, well photographed.
    The blue heron in flight is truly amazing to watch and perfectly sharp too.
    I wish you a good weekend.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really fuels a desire to visit Asia again, but realistically I doubt that’s going to happen. Thanks for letting me tag along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Spotted Owl is very cute. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The patient and steadily observant way you take photos has once again produced a fabulous collection of bird images. I would love to see all these great species, especially the kingfishers.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Birds wading in water! Some amazing pictures, Shiju.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous captures as always. A visual treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to say I loved the Painted Stork or the Stilts were my favorite....but then you just HAD to show a cute little owl! I oooohed and ahhhhed over it! A bonanza is RIGHT! You really saw a lot! Even the Cormorant is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing birds, Great series of photos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures of these wonderful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...trash, particularly plastics, is a serious problem for birds. Thanks for these fabulous images.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Shiju :=)

    Mesmerising images of birds that make my heart beat a little faster when I see them. From the early morning mist scenes to the last image of your post is as always so enjoyable that I wish I could mention all the birds by name, but I will write what I enjoyed seeing the most. The Black-winged Stilt fishing with the Painted Stork is an image of great beauty,
    as is the image of the Grey Heron perched on the Bougainvillea. The Grey Heron in flight, the group of Stilts, and the Kingfishers are some of my favourites. I am also inspired by natures diversity and feeling at one with nature.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,
    I really enjoyed your outing and all the birds. You do see a great variety at this lake. I have so many favorites, from the pair of Kingfishers, the Painted Stork and the Stilts, the Heron with the bougainvillea, the owls and the parakeet. Awesome photos, as always a treat to see. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wild are those blue wings?!! Great work as always #MySundaySnapshot

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful photos as always...... fantastic critters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shiju, Looking through your blog is a pure pleasure. Your photography is awesome. Can’t pick any favorites in this post … too many great ones! 😊 John PS Isn’t nature amazing … the spotted owlets have perfect camouflage!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And what a wonders they are.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! a definite 'bonanza' ~ magnificent photos of nature's gems ~ favorite is the owl ~ Wow! again ~ thanks, namaste,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful, beautiful bird photos!
    My favorite is the Heron in flight.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photos.
    Wow.
    Your wildlife.
    Wow.
    I'm always thrilled to look at your photos. And I'm envious of your talent with the camera.
    Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/02/le-hostellerie-des-trois-pigeons.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful photos, Shiju. If I were to pick a winner, the Stilts would get the crown. Their graceful fishing is beyond words. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What another amazing collection and colourful and interesting too :-)

    Have an exploredtastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your birdlife. I enjoy every singel photo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent shots a variety of birds.
    Greetings Lasse (sellberg nature photo)

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are all lovely, the kingfisher especially they are sweet and the Asian Koel I believe it's called, reminds me of a bird from the owl family! Great moments in nature!

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a wonderful series of photos! in some it looks like it's snowing 😊 others, it shows how perfect nature is, the plumage of the birds as camouflage!
    Happy WW 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your images are perfect! You have a fabulous gift of doing them!
    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Superbe imagini! Ca de fiecare data, o placere sa le privesc.
    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the little fellow in the first photo. The water birds are amazing to watch. I cannot imagine standing like they do so patiently. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is a tragedy that more and more fish, birds and other animals have to suffer from the flood of plastic. It makes me sad.
    Nevertheless, you have brought back some fantastic scenes from your trip.


    And I am happy about your contribution to
    MosaicMonday

    Greetings from Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  30. So beautiful. I love waterfowl. You took some amazing shots. Getting great shots of birds isn't easy.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely magnificent - love those kingfishers and the baby owls. In fact, love them all.
    I visited you via Pictorial Tuesday Link Up 2 13 2024
    My link: 6. I hope you will join us weekly at Wed-Sat at #WordlessWednesday (words welcome) https:// esmesalon . com / tag /

    ReplyDelete
  32. The birds and your portraits of them are magnificent but it is your words that bring your post to life! I absolutely love your observations. And oh my gosh that was a beautiful morning and a real birding bonanza. What a wonderful day. Love the flight shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The owls must have been hard to spot! Indeed, you hit the motherload of feathered treasures. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The Great Cormorant looks like something from our dinosaur past.

    I love the kingfishers!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Almost a whole post of fisher-flock. :) You had a good catch, too. :)
    Thank you for the sights of these birds in action. It was lovely to see the stilts' training in session; not a sight you see very often, no?
    Here's wishing you another great birding weekend, ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for teaching me about the amazing birds you have. I would not know otherwise...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  37. Another amazing trip with you and so much beauty you captured. The bird close-ups are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great post and pictures! The rhythmic knitting of your words keeps readers engaged! Saul kere visit in my list from long time hope to materialize it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful captures. I really like the photo of the "skulking" grey heron. What a majestic bird!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Fantastic series of photos of your trip, Shiju!
    The close-ups are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks so much for popping over and participating and sharing at #WW 14. See you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love how you collage together your stunning snapshots, I think your photography is so incredible. Thanks for linking up and for sharing your snaps with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hello Shiju, Your expression of creating stories from the humdrums of birds is mind blowing. I adore the delicate walk of stilts in the water. The observation of Stilts as teacher and student is so on point. I was taken aback by your precise capture of Indian pained stork. Thanks for sharing with Garden Affair.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your Hoskote is just a superb place and seems to provide you with so many good photographs every time you visit. The pipit seems to have wonky legs as if suffering from some form of papillomavirus that is very common over here with ground feeders. As for the Tree Pipit - I'm not 100%. As you say, something not quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Beautiful photos, as usual. I always enjoy seeing the various birds you spot.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.