Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

A Morning at Hoskote Lake

I went to Hoskote Lake two weeks ago to see birds. I couldn't share the photos last week because I was busy, but here they are now!



~~~
The sun had just risen when I reached the lake.



~~~
As the sun came up, I waited for birds to fly by. Soon, a group of ibises flew across the sky.



~~~
Breaking the dawn's silence, the first bird to grace my sight was the Common Kingfisher.





~~~
I saw some egrets and herons gathered in the distance. I walked over to take a closer look.



~~~
As I walked deeper into the marshy expanse, I inadvertently startled a trio of Grey-headed Swamphens.




~~~
Unfazed by my presence, a Paddyfield Pipit continued its rhythmic foraging.




~~~
Barn Swallows and wires seem to have an innate connection. I watched them as they flitted and perched on the wires.



~~~
I saw a Brahminy Kite perched in the distance.



~~~
Here's the nearest my lens could take me.



~~~
A Black Drongo.



~~~
As I cautiously approached the flock of egrets, I noticed a few individuals breaking formation and taking flight.




~~~
On a withered palm frond, a pair of Jerdon's Bushlarks perched.





~~~
Advancing with hushed steps, I walked through the marshy terrain, intent on gaining a closer view of the egret flock. However, my mission was complicated by the ever-vigilant Red-wattled Lapwings, who patrolled the marsh like feathered sentinels. The slightest provocation would send them into a frenzy, their shrill cries echoing through the air, "Pity you do it... Pity you do it..."



~~~
After dodging the Lapwings, I finally reached the egret flock, a mix of Little, Great, and Intermediate Egrets, along with Pond and Grey Herons.



~~~
A magnificent Great Egret stood tall, flanked by two Pond Herons.



~~~
A Grey Heron, alongside a Pond Heron, skulked together.



~~~
The Little Egret, however, preferred to hunt alone, catching small fry with remarkable frequency.



~~~
Success came for a Great Egret, and I observed its ritual of securing a safe spot to devour its fish, away from potential snatchers.











 

~~~
The grey heron was relentless in its skulking.



~~~
A spotted dove appeared.



~~~
Then I caught a glimpse of a migrant Rosy Starling.



~~~
A Red-vented Bulbul.


~~~
Then a flock of Rosy Starlings foraging on the ground.



~~~
Long-tailed shrike.



~~~
Then I spotted a black kite striking this interesting pose.



~~~
Three varieties of kingfishers graced the scene, the first being a pied kingfisher proudly clutching a freshly caught fish.




~~~
The second kingfisher to appear was a white-throated kingfisher.



~~~
Rounding out the trio was a common kingfisher.



~~~
An Indian Silverbill emerged next.



~~~
A Pied Bushchat couple. Male.



~~~
Female.



~~~
A white-browed wagtail, a symphony of black and white, flitted past.



~~~
A fleeting glimpse of a migrant warbler. The bill makes me guess it might be a Sykes's Warbler.



~~~
A Purple Heron in flight.



~~~
And a Black kite in flight was the last sighting.



~~~
I called it a day at 9:30 a.m. The sky looked awesome.



~~~
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this post. Feel free to leave a comment below.

Linked with Mosaic Monday

46 comments:

  1. Nature's treasure trove is open again and as usual beautiful to see. Thank you for this for letting us enjoy this splendor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shiju,
    These are great series of photos from your trip to Hoskote Lake.
    The barn swallows come back to the Netherlands in April to breed, I think that's great.
    I really like the Brahminy Kite and the Black Kite, these species are not found in the Netherlands.
    Nice to see so many egrets together and a very nice photo of the egret with a fish in its beak.
    The various kingfishers are beautiful, including species that do not occur here, but the common kingfisher does occur here.
    I enjoyed your photos again.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spotted dove is a delight. As always all the wildlife you photograph come through with spectacular clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Shiju, I already missed your posts. Luckily you're fine! Your photos of Hoskote Lake are great. To catch a kingfisher SO CLOSE is a dream! And you were able to portray several of them. In my experience, lapwings are also very difficult to photograph, they are very shy. I also really like the series of the heron with his prey. I find the Swamphen Trio photos funny, even if the birds perhaps didn't find it so funny to be scared ;-) but that wasn't your intention. In the non-enlarged swamphen photo I see a beautiful landscape - AND other birds with white heads...
    I enjoyed going photo hunting with you again.
    All the best from Austria, Traude
    🍂🕯️☕🍂☕🕯️🍂
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/11/govt-mule-kindergeburtstag-und.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. so many beautiful photos - the kingfisher series is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lake is seriously a gem for so many types of birds

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful birds, Fantastic photography

    ReplyDelete
  8. La imagen del amanecer me enamoro. Lindos pájaros. T e mando un beso. https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. All are deserving our attention, but my favourites remain the Kingfishers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    What a great spot for birdwatching, you saw a great variety of birds. I love all the Egrets, Herons, Ibis, Swamphens and the Lapwings. The Kingfishers are one of my favorites, it is awesome you saw three Kingfisher species. Wonderful captures of the Raptors, great flight shots. Great sunrise photos. I enjoyed your post and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful, wonderful collection of birds you have there. It must be great to see them "in the wild"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures as ever. I was especially interested in the Paddyfield Pipit. They turn up here very occasionally but I didn't realise they had such a strong looking bill. I must watch out for that when I find one! By the way I like the shopping centre lights but I think maybe you changed the display?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful and beautiful collection of birds. I enjoy seeing them, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Shiju :=) I really cant pick a favourite this time as they are all amazing captures. One phrase springs to mind, "The Early Bird CatchesThe Worm" and "The Early Birder Catches the Most Beautiful Images" Thank you!
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The birds on the wire are amazing...so many! And it's neat how birds like the pipit blend in to the background. You had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic array of birds!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful birds, lovely captures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello. I haven’t seen such many bright and crisp closed-up birds on one post. My favorite is #3 among all the stunning photos. I always feel birds on electric wires look like musical score. Thank you for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...Shiju, thanks for sharing your morning with me, I hope that we can do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful series of avian photos ~ all very professional ~ I like all the birds on the wire photos ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful the Kingfisher male, and Black Drongo, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the photo of the ibises flying across the sky and the Common Kingfisher is just stunning! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. The shrike is just right! We see a lot of Kingfishers here, too. I love to see and hear birds out our backdoor now. You had a birding extravaganza!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your photography is always stunning. I'm so glad you shared this post with us at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/12/wine-country-aaaahhh.html. I especially love the kingfisher - his colors are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful photos, as always! I especially like the kingfishers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love seeing all the birds, especially the Kingfishers! Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous photos. The dawn pictures are breath taking.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful poses you captured with your artist's eye. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic! I had no idea there were several varieties of Kingfishers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So impressive images, as usual! They are... perfect!
    Happy WW and a fine week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful photos, as usual. I truly enjoy seeing the variety of birds you capture.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Some amazing photos of all the birds, both the close-ups and more distant action shots. I really like how crisp but full of depth they are. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  33. My thoughts on this post--
    It was pure joy to go through it!

    Honest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. My favorite bird is today the Kingfisher. They are wonderful. But - of course - each other bird too. Thank you for this fantastisc Post again. Thank you for sharing at
    MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely shots. Esp the birds at sunrise. Not sure on the season link tho? #Allseasons

    ReplyDelete
  36. The colors in that Kingfisher and the sky.....beautiful colors

    ReplyDelete
  37. El árbol de la segunda foto me encanto al igual que las fotos de los pájaros . Te mando un beso. https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Loved the ethereal lakescapes and your technically perfect header. The number and variety of bird species and your portraits are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my goodness you had your images displayed on a building?! WOW! Thanks so much for linking up and for sharing your images with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I respect your passion for bird photography . I am discovering about the three species of Kingfisher through your post. The chronological capture of Egret preying upon fish is a treat to watch, I always look forward for your posts to get an insight into birds. Thanks for sharing with Garden Affair.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.