Back in April, CR and I made a memorable trip to the Blue-tailed Bee-eater sanctuary. It was a wonderful day in the field, but the relentless summer heat seemed to exact a heavy price. Soon after that outing, CR fell seriously ill. Whether the heat had anything to do with it, we'll never know, but recovery was painfully slow. Weekend after weekend passed with birding plans abandoned. For someone who lives for those nature outings, staying home was perhaps the hardest part.
Then, last Friday, my phone rang.
"So... any plans for the weekend?"
"Jyothipura," I replied.
That was all it took.
By Saturday morning, we were driving towards Jyothipura. Although she wasn't quite ready for long walks, simply being outdoors with a camera in hand felt like a victory. CR stayed close to the parked car, happily photographing whatever came within range, while I wandered deeper into the scrub in search of birds.
After I'd had my fill of the scrub, CR had one more suggestion.
"Why don't we try Hoskote Lake? Maybe the juvenile flamingos are still there."
The flamingos have now lingered at Hoskote for a record third month. I'd like to believe they had simply been waiting for CR to recover so she could finally come and meet them.
The juvenile flamingos were still there, and they posed... and posed... and posed... as if they had all the time in the world, and so did we.
Here are a few moments from our day at Jyothipura and Hoskote Lake.
~~~
This was my second visit to Jyothipura. Naturally, my first stop was the towering tree that had hosted a family of Indian Grey Hornbills during my previous visit.
~~~
As I neared the tree, two hornbills flew to a nearby tree and stayed hidden among the foliage. They seemed content to call from the shadows, making photography a challenge.
~~~
After a short wait, the pair finally stepped out into the open, giving me a few frames before retreating into the canopy once again.
~~~
I moved ahead and spotted a pair of Grey Francolins near a large termite mound. They were in no mood to pose and quickly hurried away into the scrub.
~~~
Thankfully, not every bird was camera-shy. This Laughing Dove was happy to sit still, allowing me to make a relaxed portrait before I continued my walk.
~~~
As I continued, an Asian Green Bee-eater used a low perch as a hunting post, patiently scanning the air for unsuspecting insects.
~~~
One of the joys of photographing larks is getting down to their level. This Jerdon's Bush Lark was wonderfully tolerant, allowing me to spend several minutes making portraits while it calmly went about its business.
~~~
One of the most rewarding sightings at Jyothipura was this Red-necked Falcon. It sat atop a transmission tower, keeping a watchful eye over the surrounding scrub.
~~~
Just as I thought I had enough photographs, the Red-necked Falcon sprang into the air. I managed one final frame before it vanished beyond the trees.
~~~
After the excitement of the Red-necked Falcon, it was back to more familiar faces. Even a Common Myna can look elegant in the golden light.
~~~
Green against the muted sky, this Rose-ringed Parakeet made for a colourful portrait before flying off to rejoin its flock.
~~~
The next visitor was a dazzling male Purple-rumped Sunbird. Never one to stay still for long, it offered just enough time to capture its metallic colours before darting off again.
~~~
The White-browed Bulbul was in a vocal mood. Perched on the highest branch it could find, it serenaded the scrub while I quietly enjoyed the performance.
~~~
The ever-present Spotted Dove was another obliging subject.
~~~
Another Indian Grey Hornbill proved far less cooperative than the earlier birds. It stayed buried in the canopy, offering only fleeting glimpses through the leaves while constantly shifting from branch to branch.
~~~
Patience paid off when it finally launched into flight, rewarding me with a clean take-off shot.
~~~
A Crimson Rose butterfly fluttered by. A quick burst of shots was enough to catch it from different angles before it disappeared.
~~~
The last birds at Jyothipura were a pair of Laughing Doves, perched on the sunlit earth and completely unhurried by my presence.
~~~
With Jyothipura behind us, we headed to Hoskote Lake on CR's suggestion. Towering monsoon clouds hung over the lake as we arrived, providing a dramatic backdrop while we searched the water for flamingos.
~~~
There they were—all three juvenile Greater Flamingos, exactly where we'd hoped they'd be.
~~~
Having photographed these flamingos on my previous visits, I wanted to try something different this time. I lay flat on the lakeshore to shoot at eye level while CR documented the process with a behind-the-scenes photograph.
~~~
The low-angle perspective gave these images a much more intimate feel, bringing the viewer almost to eye level with the birds.
~~~
This visit was all about experimenting. Using my camera bag as support, I spent the next hour photographing the trio from their perspective.
~~~
I waited quietly, and then it happened. One of the flamingos opened its wings, revealing the faintest blush of pink. These youngsters are slowly growing into the magnificent birds they will one day become.
~~~
Here's a video of the flamingos. It was quite windy, so please excuse the shaky footage.
~~~
While the flamingos stole the spotlight, this lively group of Black-winged Stilts was busy creating moments of their own.
~~~
As the day came to an end, a Black Kite made sure my last bird sighting was one to remember, a perfect farewell from the skies.
Birding trips with CR always include one important decision—where to have breakfast. She's a foodie first and a birder second, so finding a great place to eat is part of every outing. This time, TAG was the winner, and my pick of fluffy puris with a rich, flavourful lamb curry was absolutely worth it. A hearty breakfast after a morning of chasing birds. I couldn't have asked for a better way to end the outing.
~~~
Thanks for coming along on another birding adventure. I hope you enjoyed the photographs and the stories behind them. As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts, so do leave a comment below.



































































Hello Shiju,
ReplyDeleteGreat series of photos from your trip to Jyothipura and Lake Hoskote.
I think the two hornbills and the Asian green bee-eater are really amazing; we only see these in a zoo here.
You managed to take a great series of photos of the young flamingos there.
All the best, Irma
Great photos of all the amazing birds. I appreciate the "behind the scenes" photos. I thought you might have an impressive lens, and you do, and you have the technical knowledge and artistic sense to use it to maximum effect.
ReplyDeleteI hope CR makes a complete recovery soon.
Beautiful photos! So glad your friend recovered. The hornbills look a bit prehistoric!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds and butterfly and after seeing your gaint camera lens I can see how you get such wonderful close ups with so much detail. Your curry breakfast looked delicious!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your friend is feeling better and can go birding again. As always, I love every shot - the birds are so beautiful (as well as the butterfly!). I'm always happy to accompany you virtually!
ReplyDeleteFlamingos are such beautifully designed creatures. Every move they make seems like a choreographed dance.
ReplyDeleteVery good.
ReplyDeleteMore wonderful photos! I adore Flamingos.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
Thanks for beautiful clicks. I have seen grey hornbill on couple of occasions but without camera unfortunately
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds and sky
ReplyDeleteHappy Friday
Much love
Awesome bird photography, Hornbills, Flamingos , Black Kite looks great.
ReplyDeleteFood looks delicious. Loved the post.
I hope that CR has fully recovered. You have to respect that intense heat. Actually, if she could eat that delicious breakfast I suspect that all is well again.
ReplyDeleteDeus caritas est!
ReplyDeleteYour outings are always productive and rewarding, both to you and to us the readers.
ReplyDeleteWorth a Thousand Words
You work so hard for these photos and it shows. The flamingos are beautiful. Thank you for linking up.
ReplyDeleteAmazing images as always. The Hornbill is a great looking bird, but the Sunbird really stands out as my favourite today.
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI am glad your friend CR was recovered to go with you. Your bird photography is awesome. I love the Hornbills. The flamingos are lovely, a beautiful series of photos. I love all your birds! Great outing and looks like a yummy meal. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
...thanks for sharing these fabulous images this morning, they are a great way to start my morning.
ReplyDeleteWould that lamb curry be HOT? Looks amazing but I've never had any. Love the flamingoes my friend. They are worth the trip and how amazing to get to see them stay for so long! Love all of your photos. Shared them with a friend and we oooohed and aaaaahed through them all! Oh....and you get down on the ground? You are SERIOUS! WOW! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing. What a great pictures. Very nice to see all these birds,
The flamingos are so great. Big compliments for your photograph results.
Greetings, Marco
Beautiful photos, as always! The Hornbills look a little angry! I am pleased your friend felt well enough to get out and see the juvenile flamingos.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are always so beautiful. The flamingo pictures are absolutely amazing.
ReplyDeleteHornbills always remind me of prehistoric times, when the first birds first evolved. They are impressive. I enjoyed reading very much.
ReplyDeleteThank you, dear blogfriend for being part at MosaicMonday. Have a wonderful week ahead. Greetings by Heidrun
What to say. Incredible beautiful. That butterfly as side line is also wonderful colored and those young flamingo's fantastic brought in the picture.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much!
ReplyDeleteWow!What a wonderful series of bird and butterfly photos ~ especially the last close ups ~ Very professional and last one is divine ~ namaste ~ ^_^
ReplyDeleteAll lovely cuties! 🤩
ReplyDeleteWow, amazing photos of these fascinating creatures. I'd never heard of an Asian Green Bee-eater before. And that Crimson Rose butterfly is stunning!
ReplyDeleteSo many wonderful sightings and photos. Would dearly love to see flamingos
ReplyDeleteI love your flamingo shots. They are magnificent birds. I saw them once in the south of France years ago. A bird photographer that came to our group last year said about laying down on the ground to take the photos. I am not sure I would be able to get up again! And the colours of some of your other birds are stunning. And that hornbill, I thought it looked like a pterodactyl in the flight shot. I am glad you got out to take bird photos again after having been restricted. I hope CR is all good now. Have a great week and thankyou for visiting my blog this week.
ReplyDeleteShiju, I am in absolute awe -- all the pictures from both places are wonderful but the ones from the juveniles' perspective are beyond amazing. Thank you for "lying down on the job" for us!! I didn't know that flamingos shuffled for food like that (instead of darting for fish like herons do) so I learned from the video!. This was amazing and what a fabulous treat for your recovered birding companion. It couldn't have been a better welcome back!
ReplyDeleteThis is my favorite Shiju post! Epic hornbill aerial. And fun flamingo flamboyance! Pink flamingos are showing up in Florida again, possibly blown in from hurricanes, but I haven't seen one in the wild. I saw three swan cygnets the other night in Minnesota. I didn't know swans hatched more than one. Yum! Fry bread. I wonder if your friend got bit by a bug carrying a virus.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful return to birding after such a long and difficult break for CR. I especially liked your thought that the flamingos might have stayed just a little longer waiting for her to recover. Sometimes nature seems to have perfect timing.
ReplyDeleteYour photographs are outstanding. I particularly enjoyed the images taken at eye level with the young flamingos. Changing the perspective really does create a feeling of being there with them rather than simply observing them from a distance. And what an impressive variety of birds you encountered in just one day!
I also smiled at CR being a foodie first and a birder second. After such a successful day, that breakfast certainly looks well deserved. I hope this was the first of many more excursions for the two of you.
Truly excellent bird photography!
ReplyDeletePurple rumped sunbird...what an awesome name and such a pretty bird. The bee eater is so cute. Love the sharing this week.
ReplyDeleteThose flamigos are wild (literally and slang)! THanks for sharing with #Allseasons
ReplyDelete