Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

First day of 2022

The first day of 2022 saw me heading towards Hoskote lake for some early morning birding. The flood water hasn't receded from the birding area, so I trespassed the adjacent farm fields and watched some birds who also trespassed. Here are the pics... 

...
My first sighting was of this Black Drongo who drove away the Cattle Egrets and occupied the cattle class seats on a bull...
...
The Drongo was happily making sorties to take insects disturbed by the grazing bull...
...

...
An immature Purple Heron was surveying the surroundings from a high perch...
...
Greater Coucal was walking in the farm trying to find a good place to hide...
...
An Intermediate Egret displayed his elegant flight...
...
And an Indian Spot-billed Duck displayed its elegant swim...
...
Eurasian Hoopoe landed in the field...
...
I watched the Eurasian Hoopoe for a while. The solitary forager probes the ground for insects with the full length of its bill...
...

...

...
Purple Heron did a fly-past...
...

...
A Great Egret made a splash and caught a fish and I clicked at will...
...

...

...

...

...
The Red-wattled Lapwings did not make the alarmist 'pity-you-do-it' calls. Probably they knew that I was not that adventurous to cross the water and snatch their eggs...
...

...
female Indian Robin was seen next...
...
An Intermediate Egret...
...
And a Little Egret trying to pick up fish...
...
Long-tailed Shrike marked its presence...
...
The unreachable birding area seemed to be brimming with activities. Hope the water recedes before the migrants go back...
...
I thought about migrants and almost instantly a male Siberian Stonechat  showed up...
...

...
And then another visitor, a Wood Sandpiper was spotted among the drip-irrigation pipes in the farm...
...
And another visitor, a non-breeding adult or immature Pheasant-tailed Jacana...
...
White-throated Kingfisher was perched on an irrigation pump...
...
The sun came out and out came the butterflies. A mimic of a male Danaid eggfly was seen. Here's the underside of its wing...
...
And here's the upperside...
...
male Purple Sunbird shined and sang in the emerging sunlight...
...
The first day of the year was highly satisfying. Hope you enjoyed the pics. Covid 19 cases are increasing again and the administration is imposing weekend curfew from this week. Weekends are the only time I get for birding. Hoping against hope that things will get better soon. 

Do post your thoughts in the comments section below.


43 comments:

  1. Awesome critters. My favourite is the Kingfisher.
    He has lovely plumage.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great series of photos you were able to take while birdwatching at Hoskote Lake.
    The Siberian Stonechat are my favourite, you have photographed them perfectly sharp.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good start for the new year. Looks like you live inside a bird sanctuary. Really beautiful animal shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not quite sure why, but it is always especially appealing to see birds perched on the backs of animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful set of pictures - and I dont think visiting a field to see such things should be considered trespass!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,

    Gorgeous collection of birds, it is too hard to pick a favorite. I loved them all. Your photos are always amazing. Pretty butterfly captures. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year. Your birding future looks magnificent. I look forward to your splendid photos for another year. I especially like your oblique shot of the egret.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...we captured such gorgeous images. The Great Egret making a splash is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some wonderful variety there Shiju. I'm loving the colours of the Purple Heron and the "Sibe" Stonechat. the plovers too. Happy New Year to you and your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great collection of bird portraits! What a start of the year! The The Drongo is so beautiful - and usefull as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many fantastic birds. I'm jealous of them all. Nice to see your Stonechat too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful array of the birds, oh, and Butterfly. Fantastic, I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is always a special treat coming here to visit ...such incredibly beautiful birds!! The forked tail of the grogon (spelled correctly?), and the colors of the kingfisher. Spectacular. The open wings of the hoopoe is a new view for me.
    May all of us birders show well for 2022...and thank you for sharing your link at I'd Rather B Birdin'

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW wonderful photos,happy year 2022

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Shu,:=) The different species of birds you share is always a pleasure to see, and so many beautiful birds. It's difficult to pick a favourite, but I did like seeing the Hoopoe images, together with all the great heron finds, and the Stonechat, birds I used to see in the Algarve and now miss seeing. A new one for me is the Greater Coucal with wing feathers the same colour as the eyes, and the beautiful butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello again, So sorry for spelling your name wrong Shiju. I should have remembered because we both have a J and a I in our first name.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WoW...some really beautiful birds here, i like your purple heron, what a beauty!!! egret and herons are two of my favorites, your flight images are very well done!!

    pretty butterflies, it is nice for me to see them this time of year. i raise them, you may remember that!! have a happy sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Wonderful series of photos of our feathered friends and butterfly too ~ Favorite is the Egret eating and splashing ~

    Wishing you a peaceful day,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  19. so many beautiful species you share today. Even hard to single out a favourite. But it has to be the Eurasian Hoopoe. A bird I only seen once and I was in a bus when it flew by. :( On travels I often seen the coopereation between birds and cattle. it is a good thing for both benefit. Never seen it in Sweden. Guess we don´t have that much insects troubling cattle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all so great! Love the water droplets in some of the egret photos...so much detail! And that Hoopoe...it's my favorite today! Enjoy your week and keep taking pics to share!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Marvelous photos! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos from your birding outing. Great shots of the Great Egret and its fish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love that White Throated Kingfisher, and we often see the Hoopoes here in summer. Great set of photos. I have finally managed to catch up with some of my photos and a post but still I have many photos to go through. Just too busy!!
    All the very best for 2022 and have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Birds were so pretty my favorite was the Duck. As for Covid it's on the rise here to in Fort Worth, Texas but nothing has been shut down yet. Thank Goodness but at times I think they should as more and more people are dying.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fantastic collection of photos and so clear as usual some nice close ups :-)

    Have a tweettastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a perfect way to ring in the New year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So many beautiful images - they are all so wonderful. I really like that Hoopoe - he's unique

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome photos.
    Happy New Year. Best wishes for 2022.
    Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A beautiful set of photos. I really liked the purple heron and the kingfisher.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes we are all awaiting an easing of covid and its impact and restrictions...sadly more & more people are getting sick too. So far not me or B. Phew! Thank you for sharing your post with us for Life This Week Link Up at Denyse Whelan Blogs. I hope to see you back next Monday. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We visited the Gulf Coast Bird Observatory yesterday and nearby Wilderness Park and we saw Great Egrets and Northern Cardinals and we heard many migrants.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The Eurasian Hoopoe looks so different when it has its wings tucked in. It looks an interesting character to me!
    It always cracks me up when you photograph a bird making use of another animals head or back! And the big egret making a splash (did it see you?). A new year for new happy bird trips:) Have a great one, Shiju!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it didn't see me. I was bit far away and it was quite occupied with fishing.

      Delete
  33. So many interesting birds. Love your photographs. The Drongo taking advantage of the bull to stir up a meal is very interesting. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Was nice to see you and your bird photos back to visit Pictorial Tuesday. The one with the little foot up is so cute, and all are beautiful captures.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful shots Shiju. The Eurasian Hoopoe looks really cute & friendly 😘

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful!! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love watching fishing birds...it really takes a lot of misses to get one....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you for sharing all these beautiful birds! I hope things get safer in your area soon so you can go out again. I'm glad you had the opportunity for a new year's hike!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful bird photos, once again!

    ReplyDelete
  40. The Egret is my favorite. I always enjoy the quality of your photos. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.