Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

A brief visit to Kasavanahalli

I made a brief visit to Kasavanahalli lake. Usually I make at least one birding trip to this lake every year. This was the first one since Nov 2019. Here are the pics...




...


There was no forecast of rain even though it was cloudy. My only concern was the struggle with low light photography...

...


There was no trace of any bird at 6:30 AM. All seemed asleep. Then, suddenly a Grey-headed Swamphen was spotted on the mud path I was walking on. It led me towards the ramp that bifurcates the lake...
...


I saw another Grey-headed Swamphen, that seemed to have pulled out an unexpected extra long root while foraging in the swamp. He looked confused...
...


A Little Cormorant was drying itself after a dip...
...


At the waterlily area, I could see scattered blooms...




...


I decided to observe the waterlily  blooms until sun and birds showed up. Here are my silly observations of waterlily settlements. I compared it to human settlements and found some similarity. There was a small family of mom, dad and a kid...
...


Some living in diverse neighborhood. A bit chaotic but co-existing...
...


Then there were also gated communities who were happy among themselves...
...


And there were many loners who only have their own reflections as a companions... 
...



...


As the light improved, I could hear the unmissable loud calls of Rose-ringed Parakeets. I clicked a pic when the fast flying bird perched on a tree for a snack...
...


A Spotted Dove puffed out its feather to keep warm...
...


A Eurasian Coot was seen near a waterlily bloom. Looked like it was trying to clean up the surroundings near the lily...
...


The coot was seen removing dead weeds and other solid stuff near the lily...
...


I liked the yellow tail of this Rose-ringed Parakeet...
...


A Little Egret  caught a fish...
...


Now the sun was out so were the sunbirds and other small birds. I walked towards the ramp that bifurcates the lake to catch them...
...


The flowers on the path...
...


The ramp is the most beautiful part of the lake. It is a nice spot with cooling shade provided by the canopy of the Singapore cherry trees. I shot this small video to capture the ambience and bird calls...


...


A couple of Little Grebe were floating together on one side of the ramp...
...


The other side of the ramp had slightly larger birds. A Purple Heron was skulking patiently with its sharp beak ready to spear the prey...
...


A Little Cormorant...


...


I turned to the other side to observe the Little Grebes ducking in water in their usual ways...
...



...



...



...



...



...


Purple Sunbirds flitted and feasted the Singapore cherries...
...


I was so happy to see a juvenile Pale-billed Flowerpecker. The pale bill of the adult actually looks high-colored when young...
...



...



...



...



...

That's the end of a very satisfying birding tour. Hope you liked the post. Please post your thoughts in the comments section below. 
Join me on: INSTAGRAM | TWITTER


58 comments:

  1. This was so refreshing to watch! Thank you for sharing it. I can only imagine how refreshed you must feel

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great series of photos from your birding trip.
    I can well imagine that you enjoyed all the species you saw.
    I really like the water lilies and the futuen.
    I enjoyed your photos.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Wow, wonderful walk. I always enjoy the birds you are able to see there, beautiful birds and photos. I love the color of the waterlilies. The video and bird sounds are great. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Swamphen is beautiful even from behind. That bit of cotton at the tail end is surprising. Reminds me of our cottontail rabbits. Your little Grebes are much more colorful than our Least Grebes. A handsome little grebe. Bird sound/song does add a lot to the experience. This was a very enjoyable post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your visit to Kasavanahalli lake was very worthwhile: You brought wonderful nature photos from there - very pretty water lilies and extraordinary bird photos!
    Happy weekend
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/06/zwei-habsburger-schlosser-und-ihre-parks.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You take some fantastic photos! I love the Little Grebe with the water droplets...great shots!! And your story about the water lilies made me smile! Very nice, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pictures. I suspect that those waterlilies were a lot more respectful of each other than the humans to which you compare them. The news we see coming out of India is pretty dire of late. I hope that you and your family are keeping well and staying safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a gem, so much wildlife on this lake. You captured some beautiful pictures. I love the lilies! We have coots, heron, Canadian geese and lots of turtles and fish on the Tennessee River. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That are a lot of artworks from nature. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the photos are spectacular but this time out I am especially fond of the spectacular waterlily images. Brilliant detail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinante, me han gustado mucho todas las fotos. Saludos desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb photos. I really love the blooms especially.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...my friend, you did a beautiful job struggling with the low light! These are gorgeous images.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos are absolutely beautiful. The blooms were stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos! The waterlilies and all the birds are very pretty. The color of the waterlilies are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic photos of our feathered friends and nature's habitat ~ favorite is the juvenile flowerpecker ~ Xo

    'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
    ~ Helen Keller

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Splendid and loved the video.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great work again Shiju. Low light is the bane of my birding life too. But you made good use of that time with the lovely lilies. And when the sun came out you excelled yourself with hose pictures, the Spotted Dove, Little Grebe and the Purple Heron in particular. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So soothing & calming (your video)!! Wondrous birds & photos! And, as always, your linking up with us birders is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos are always so beautiful - another great walk in the wild with so many wonderful birds

    ReplyDelete
  21. What wonderful photos. The waterlilies are so pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful sighting of water life, the Little Egret, And about the Little Grebe, beautiful. I love the Grey-headed Swamphen, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wonderful! Loved to see the Grey-headed Swamphen and always love Grebes. :)
    And all images of the waterlily is stunning. We don´t have any with that color.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely selection of photos x #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent bird photos. The Little Grebe is so colorful and the flowerpecker is cute. We have the Gray-headed Swamphens here in south Florida where they have invaded the wetlands. Enjoyed your waterlily tour.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your photos are all wonderful, but I must admit that my particular favorites were those of the water lilies. I love the serrated edges of them against the water! Smiles, Linda at Paper Seedlings

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your quiet and sleepy morning turns out to be a very fruitful one. Love the many beautiful birds photos and also the pretty water lilies in the lake. Have a wonderful new week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A place full of delights! Gorgeous photos.
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/06/mmmm-magnolia.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely beautiful photos! The waterlily is a beautiful colour. I think the Purple Sunbird is my favourite today!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful water lilies! Cool photos of ther birds and what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's always a pleasure to look at your blogside.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful photos as always :-)

    Have an awwsometastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those water lilies are gorgeous! I have never seen them in that color. We have water lilies on our lake but only in white, a very pale pink, and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful - I love all the birds, but also the lilies are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The water lillies are lovely and it's a great shot of the bird with the water droplets on it's head (after ducking for food). Thanks for joining in at #Allseasons

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow. I loved how your morning started slowly then...wow. The images of the pink on the water, so beautiful. I noticed high rise buildings in the background so I guess, like happens here in Australia, human civilisation is encroaching on nature's land. Thank you for linking up for #LifeThisWeek. Next week, we reach the midway point of the link up with Optional Prompt: 26/51 Optimism. Mr W is back with this one! It's always great to see your post and comments, I appreciate that very much. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s the sad reality. Few years back sewage from those buildings used to flow into the lake. Birds had vanished. Then, some good folks fought and stopped it. Tree plantation drives rejuvenated the lake and brought back a few birds. Despite all the efforts, this lake has one of the lowest counts of birds among Bangalore’s lakes.

      Delete
  37. You've got some really fabulous shots! So cute!!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  38. great post Shiju. Lovely Images.
    The Coot removing what looks like a stone is a great behaviour shot. The area looks like it now has a good diverse habitat and seems to be thriving. At least one positive to report.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The lilypads are beautiful. And so are the birds. Also, such creativity in your first shot. There is always so much to love in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Darren ColeshillThursday, June 24, 2021

    It looks like a wonderful place to visit, I love the waterlilies

    Thank you for linking up to #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful photos. I love those water lily blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  42. You always have to most beautiful and detailed bird photos! All such interesting birds. I like how the Coot was cleaning the water around the water lilies. How did you do the clothesline compilation? That is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a Photoshop template from one stock photo site to make that compilation. Thank you!

      Delete
  43. Great collection again. The amruthahalli lake still in nascent stage. Hopefully we will see the lake blooming in future and brimming with variety of birds

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful shots of the birds and I like seeing the lily pads. They are something I don't see here. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  45. These photos are stunning! So many incredible species of bird.
    #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thw baby Cormorant is oh so adorable <3 Stunning water lily photos, I enjoyed very much. The first photo with hanging photos with clothespins is very nice. Warm greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Your photos are absolutely stunning. I found your analogies of the water lilies quite humorous! My favorite shot is of the grebe with its face toward the camera! Thank you for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  48. Your photos continue to amaze and inspire us. I love the water lilies too. We will feature your post in the next Blogger's Pit Stop. Thank you for sharing you passion and talent.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.