Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Camouflage of prey and predator

Look carefully at the picture. Do you spot a dry leaf? 



Well, that wasn't a dry leaf. It is the defense mechanism of an Autumn Leaf butterfly. It is named so because it closely resembles a dry leaf to deceive the predators...


Now look at this picture. Can you spot something within the dried branches and leaves?


Sitting at the edge of a dried branch is a Mantis. Mantis is an ambush predator that feeds on live prey within its reach. It camouflages itself and remains stationary, waiting for prey to approach...

Where did I find them?

On my recent visit to Mangalore, I visited Sammilan Shetty Butterfly Park which is located around 42 Km north of Mangalore.

Sammilan Shetty’s Butterfly Park was set up in the year 2011 by Sammilan Shetty, a young nature lover and butterfly enthusiast. Situated at Belvai, at the foothills of the Western Ghats, (on Moodabidri – Karkala road), the park is a treasure house of a wide variety of butterflies belonging to this region. The park is spread across 7.35 acres of land and hosts more than 100 species of butterflies, including some of the endemic and most dazzling butterflies of the world. The park is developed on natural greenery and the butterflies are also natural inhabitants of the park. The park respects the butterfly’s freedom and no dome or enclosure is maintained to keep them trapped within the park. Only suitable conditions which are conducive to different varieties of butterflies are created to attract them to the park. The park hosts a significant variety of naturally found host plants and the result is the thriving bio-diversity in the park. Efforts to propagate more native host plants to support the caterpillar stage of butterflies are in progress. The park is being run with service motive and is not a commercial undertaking.

You can check their Facebook page here >> https://www.facebook.com/SammilanShettysButterflyPark/


 

19 comments:

  1. The dry leaf butterfly is really quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating. I would say it's a very effective defense mechanism - it sure fooled me!
    Thank you for linking up t http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/09/los-viejos.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The camouflage is very impressive. I wouldn't even know there was a mantis in the close up if you hadn't mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, there are some impressive creatures on earth. The way Mantises camouflage is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the camouflage is brilliant...I couldn't even differentiate on first look :) Amazing captures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nature has some very clever insects out there. Loved the photos. Some time ago, I posted a pretty blotchy picture of a Giant Sulfur Butterfly hidden in the dead leaves of one of my roses. If I hadn't seen it fly in and attach itself for the night at that spot, I wouldn't have been able to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow those were quite fascinating. God did an awesome job creating unique creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I don't think I would have spotted that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so interesting and so amazing. Great photos too, thanks so much for sharing these wonders.

    Kathleen
    Bloggers Pit Stop

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful examples of mimicry .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, the butterfly park sounds like an awesome place to visit. Pretty shots of the Butterfly. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That really is amazing. I had my husband look at your photos too! Makes me wonder what we are missing! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, those are fantastic camouflaged insects. I would not have seen them except for your close ups!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's amazing! What a fantastic capture. I wonder what other things we walk by unnoticed? #MysundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning photograph, what a great capture and thanks for the information. My husband is petrified of butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some impressive camouflaging, and captures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG..awesome, the pics are fantastic and really overawed by the defence mechanism of different insects and creatures..

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.