Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Naturewalk at Hoskote lake


Last Sunday, on my photo walk at Hoskote lake, Bangalore, I came across a Baya Weaver bird with what looked like nesting material. I decided to search for its nest and capture the nest weaving action. Here's a picture tour of the photo walk where I found many other critters and plants... 

Male Baya Weaver with nesting material... 


My search for Baya Weaver's nest took me to a private farm. After seeking permission from the farmer, I ventured in...


I located a cluster of Baya Weaver bird nests but it was in an inaccessible area with thick foliage and beyond the range of my lens...


The farm was lush with fresh greens...


Ceylon Blue Glassy Tiger butterfly...


Ceylon Blue Glassy Tiger butterfly...



I found another cluster of nests within my range but they looked abandoned. I realized after a while that the birds were not showing up due to my presence. They came back after I hid behind a bush at a distance...


The nest weaving is quite an awesome sight...


They are very acrobatic...










Sometimes they use green strands...





Slowly the nest takes shape...


They seemed to compete with each other...


The extra large nest, probably the creation of a master among them...


Dill leaves...



Loved the rain droplets on dill leaves...





Common Castor butterfly...




Cilantro...



Jewel Bug or Shield Backed Bug...



Dragonfly...



Eurasian Marsh Harrier...







Spinach...



Common Godzilla Ants...


An injured White-browed Bulbul. It was taking adequate rest to recoup...


Common Tiger butterfly...


Male Indian Robin...


Millet...


Yellow-billed Babbler...


The good farmer offered me a basket of ripe Cherimoya or Custard Apple...


I found this Coromandel marsh dart damselfly near the lake...


It was amusing to see it curling its tail...








A close-up of its head...





The Coromandel marsh dart is also known as Yellow Waxtail damselfly...





29 comments:

  1. Such beautiful pics. I loved the pic of the dew on dill leaves

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excelent post, the weaver nests are awsome, as are the Dragon flies.
    Have a good weekend Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Impressive and fascinating photos!
    Greetings from Germany
    Traudi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!:) I enjoy coming here to see all the wonderful wildlife in your country. It must have been fascinating to see the Baya Weaver birds make their nests,... and what amazing structures they are. Beautiful photos of the Yellow Waxtail damselfly, butterflies, and raindrops.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous shots! Those bird nests or so interesting and unusual! Cool how there is a bunch of them all together, like a little city!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, the Weaver bird and their nest are so cool. Great series. I love the butterflies and the damselflies. Great series of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. birds, trees, they are heavenly animals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved seeing the weaver birds' nests! And loved all of your wonderful photos, especially the macro shots of the dragonfly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are incredible photos! The bird nests are so cool to see--and so many together, how awesome! Your macro photos of the dragon fly and damsel fly are amazing, too! I'm running out of words to describe these fantastic creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, I've never heard of a custard apple until today. I am now wondering what they taste like.

    This Weaver is such an incredible bird!!! And their nests are truly a work of art. They must all have degrees in architecture from the bird academy of arts!! [just trying to be funny]...But, seriously, they are beautiful AND incredible builders.


    Thanks once again for doing your narration and sharing the wonderful photos this weekend. We birders at I'd Rather B Birdin' are always appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those bird nests are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. your photos are so enjoyable! The elaborate nests are beautiful to behold. Thank you for sharing!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. These photos are stunning! Very fascinating too #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
  14. The weaver photos fascinate me - I've never seen anything like this. I wonder how long it takes the nest to be completed from start to finish?
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/08/snuggles.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a magnificent collection of photographs here Shiju,
    I've never seen nests like them...they are like a work of art. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh My God, that birds'nests are already enough for a post! How wonderful they are, and i can't imagine the works they've put into building it. The next looks like it can be recycled for more years! Our sunbirds nest resembles that, but not as strong! Amazing beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow awesome photography. Those nests are something different and so many in one place. I have never seen ants like that before, amazing. They don't look friendly though :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Impressive photography. Great work with the Baya Weavers showing the, at work. Stunning close-ups of the Coromandel marsh dart damselfly too. I must visit you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photos are fabulous! Loved looking at them all especially the bird nests. I've never seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent captures. That beetle looks like a piece of jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What craftsmen those birds are!

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/08/an-author-and-fan-dav-pilkey-at-bookexpo.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. The collection of Baya Weaver nests hanging in the trees is very interesting. I like the stages of nest building that you show in your photos. You were very lucky to get some cherimoya. They are one of my favourite fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing series....love the nests especially..thank you for linking in...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh so many favorites in this series of photos...butterflies, gorgeous nests and dragonflies. thanks so much for sharing in just BE.
    robin.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing all your field notes on this bird! Great photo documentation to boot! Hopefully one day I will be able to see these birds. Very very cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.