Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Trek to Nandi Hills

Nandi Hills is a hill station just 60 Kms from my home in Bangalore. It was the summer retreat of the tyrant, Tipu Sultan who used this place to escape the din of battles and heat of the plains. Although there is an excellent motor-able road all the way to the top of the hill, I decided to trek the 8 Kms climb from the foothills instead. Trekking allowed me to explore the nature in more detail. Here's a photo tour from my trek... 

As it is the rainy season, I could see clouds hovering over the hills...


I parked my car near the trekking trail starting point and started my walk...


A White-browed Bulbul alerted me with its distinctive burst of calls...


Soon, another one flew in...


The trekking trail comprise of a flight of 1175 steps...


I found some interesting flora on the way...


The trail is shaded by trees all along and has beautiful resting places...


I was glad to meet Pramod, an entrepreneur from Bangalore. He was doing a great job with watercolors...


A Red-whiskered bulbul flew away as soon as I turned towards him... 


Stone pillars along the trail...


Wild flowers...



An Agama lizard...





Cherimoya or Custard Apple. Mark Twain called the Cherimoya "the most delicious fruit known to men"...


The clouds meet you on the trail with a joyful drizzle...


Here's a video...



Natural umbrella for the small critters to hide from rain...



A mural on the wall of a Hindu temple on the way...



A cute little monkey...



More flora...







A chipmunk...







A pillar...



Moss on a tree bark drenched in rain...



Breast feeding monkey...


Rain drops on spider web...


The coating of rain water on the plants make them really stunning...






A Red-whiskered bulbul...


Letting his hair down...


Rain drenched ferns...



In deep thought...



Finally, after one hour and forty five minutes of trekking, I reached the top...


The view from the top is breathtaking. I skipped many tourist attractions like Tipu's Drop, a cliff face from where prisoners were hurled down on the orders of the tyrant. Such monuments make me sad actually. The trip was fun none the less and it was good to trek all the way up and explore nature...

Panorama shot of Nandi hills



41 comments:

  1. Amazing pics from Nandi Hills. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your amazing trip with us, scenes I will never see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very interesting post, showing me birds I hadn't seen bedore. and such beautiful scenery,it was also amazing to see in your first shots how the leaves had been eaten by various insects.
    All the best, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!:) You share such beauty here, and there are far too many photos for me to comment on each one in turn, but I love your nature photography, and have enjoyed looking at all the creatures and the beautiful views.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome shots! Monsoons just add to the beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful nature! You are lucky to have such beautiful subjects to photograph nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic pics. Long since I have been there.
    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely STUNNING! What a fascinating place, and such gorgeous photography! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 8 kms uphill! And down too. Very impressive and gorgeous photographs. Loved the wise monkey. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a great hike, and spectacular photography! I like that big lizard! Thanks for taking us along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your view from the top is gorgeous and what a hike! Whew! I also like the watercolor you found along the way. Very nice. Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fabulous posst and wonderful trek with loets to see on the way. Photography is excekkent

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, what a lovely place for a hike even with it's bad history. Te plants and flowers are lovely. Awesome birds and cute monkeys. I like the cool lizard. The views are fabulous. Great collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find I always have to slow down, and just MARVEL at your photography skills. Stunning and so very extraordinary!! From the birds to the landscape to the artist and the monkeys. WONDERFUL once again your post is.

    Thanks so much for joining us birders at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm particularly impressed with the watercolorist. Thanks for linking to Shadow Shot Sunday 2.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is quite a hike you took. Amazing photos. I can't imagine encountering monkeys on a hike.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are beautiful amazing pics. I love all of them. I wonder how you were able to finish those steps in just 1hr 45 min, that is including taking pictures and some rest as walking on those steps can be exhilarating. I want to go with you there, lots of finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I didn't stop for rest as I jog daily and have developed a bit of endurance. Downhill trek took more time as my legs seemed little wobbly and slowed my pace.

      Delete
  18. What an extraordinary and beautiful trek, thank you for sharing it. I always think of dew and rain drops on plants, especially when the sun catches them, like fairy lights. I feel for that breastfeeding mumma, she looks like she needs a good sleep and a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. a magnificent serving of photos, thanks for sharing; have a good week

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Each capture is wonderful. I enjoyed this Post again for the Tuesday theme IMAGE-IN-ING.
    HEIDRUN XO

    https://happy-hour-with-picts.blogspot.de/2017/07/liebe-auch-im-sommer.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Bangalore area must be truly beautiful.
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/07/hhhhiiiiiiiisssssssss.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. such a beautiful mother nature! Love to see all those animals..Hopefully I can visit Bangalore soon

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful - Didnt know Banglore had this place for exploration. Well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all your photos! The breastfeeding monkey is my favorite though! What a great capture!

    http://www.anapeladay.com/2017/07/ww-kinetic-exhibition-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Where do I start? Every one of these photos are amazing. If I have to choose my favorites, I would say 1) mushrooms, 2) bird 'letting down its hair', 3) view of the mountain shrouded with mist. It is so dry here, I would love to feel a little drizzle. Thanks for letting me travel this wonderful place with you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. ahh...the eye behind the lens...love to see your sites. thank you for sharing on just BE.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for taking us along on your hike! Great scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  28. lots of beautiful shots there. love the birds and the monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such incredible beauty. Thank you for sharing and taking us along. Happy Pink Saturday.

    This post is being featured on my Pink Saturday post this week as "the one that caught my eye".

    ReplyDelete
  30. It sounds like it was pretty windy in the video but what beauty. The detail in the temple building is amazing. Thank you for sharing your photos with Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.