Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Cocktail Masterclass at Drinks on MG

I was invited to Drinks on MG for an exclusive cocktail masterclass hosted by Nicholas Ord and Alphonso Del Portillo, from Drinks on MG, winner of the India Bartender of the Year at Diageo Reserve World Class 2015...



Last month, Portillo edged his competitors and swayed the judges with his speed, meticulous execution and balanced cocktails in Mumbai at the India finals to emerge as the 'India Bartender of the Year'...


Diageo Reserve World Class hosted an exclusive evening to celebrate the India champion Alfonso Del Portillo’s journey at the competition...



Nicholas Ord, Reserve Brand Ambassador India curated an interactive session with Alfonso Del Portillo and took the guests on a pleasant flavor trail with delectable signature cocktails, paired with a delicious menu...


The syrups...



The tools...




The boys are ready for the action...


Alfonso set the mood for the evening with Atlantic Martini made with the Talisker, Tanqueray No Ten, orange, grapefruit powder and served in an elegant coupette.
Here's the recipe...




And here's how he made it...





Next was the unique CIROC vodka cocktail; Botanical Heritage which was presented in a Chai tea clay pot. It was infused with green apples, tomatoes, basil, chardonnay syrup and a dash of Licorice syrup...
Here's the recipe...
 


Now see it being made...


















Nicholas surprised the guests by presenting a classic Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve cocktail which was showcased at the Diageo Reserve World Class 2013 finale. He prepared the Golden Flip which is a delectably creamy and sweet creation. The Golden Flip is a rich mixture of Greek wildflower honey and tahini infused Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve, dash of apricot brandy and a spritz of orange zest...
Here's the recipe...


Alfonso magically executing it...

During the session, Alfonso shared special insights into the rigorous World Class programme, training under World Class experts and provided key tips on the artistry of cocktail-making along with latest industry trends. The interactive and engaging session allowed everyone to appreciate a fine-drinking experience.


Alfonso will now represent India and compete with the world’s best bartenders at the Diageo Reserve World Class Global Finals, to be held in Cape Town, South Africa, in September, 2015.



I wish him good luck for a bigger trophy!!

28 comments:

  1. Well, I see your brain stayed functional enough to get incredible photos throughout. I loved seeing the pros at work but I am more than envious that you sampled all their efforts. The drinks looked exceptional. Nice to have the recipes but I want to have them made FOR me in a posh setting by a handsome bartender!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am never far away from your nearest cocktail bar.... :)

      Delete
    2. Well, Nicholas, though I'm now 70, I still enjoy a superb cocktail...having gone to nursing school in New Orleans, where one could legally drink at 18 in those days, I loved Sazeracs & Ramos Gin Fizzes at brunch. I've lived in San Francisco the past 35 years ( some great bars there ) though I've traveled back & forth to India 20 months out of the last 3-1/2 years. I've done 80 plus Royal
      Caribbean cruises ( some wonderful bartender friends on their ships...I even wrote a poem to honor them! ). I've never had an award winning creation so, if our paths should ever cross, you MUST fix one for me. I'll tri to stay alive till then! CHEERS!

      Delete
    3. Well, Nicholas, though I'm now 70, I still enjoy a superb cocktail...having gone to nursing school in New Orleans, where one could legally drink at 18 in those days, I loved Sazeracs & Ramos Gin Fizzes at brunch. I've lived in San Francisco the past 35 years ( some great bars there ) though I've traveled back & forth to India 20 months out of the last 3-1/2 years. I've done 80 plus Royal
      Caribbean cruises ( some wonderful bartender friends on their ships...I even wrote a poem to honor them! ). I've never had an award winning creation so, if our paths should ever cross, you MUST fix one for me. I'll tri to stay alive till then! CHEERS!

      Delete
  2. Well, I see your brain stayed functional enough to get incredible photos throughout. I loved seeing the pros at work but I am more than envious that you sampled all their efforts. The drinks looked exceptional. Nice to have the recipes but I want to have them made FOR me in a posh setting by a handsome bartender!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was interesting and enjoyable to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always amazed by the fun nights out you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! We like to play around cocktails - experimenting with new varieties and mixing things up but I would never attempt any of those...even though they look amazing!

    Thank you for joining us for Photo Friday again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to read your post, Beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fantastic shots - and the one of the two chefs together is amazing!!!
    Please stop by and link up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/07/variations.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post...and I love the bokeh shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an awesome achievement. Fancy being able to do all these fabulous cocktails, just like a chef but with drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, awesome post, I wish I could taste these drinks. Congrats to the winning bartenders ,they look happy! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed that and the photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Great pictures and story! My congratulations!
    Have a lovely week and thank you for shring!
    Hugs,
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely looks like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The winner so deserves it! They are both amazing too! The drinks that they prepared looks so lush!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful event. The flaming drinks are my favorite of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sure seems as a great event, and you took some very nice pictures. These drinks look so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This really is an art and would be so interesting to watch! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  18. Superb shots and great achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the performance of the bar tenders.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck to you in September! What a fun post to read!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nicely presented...sounds like an exquisite adventure♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/deconstruction/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd like to try everything. I think I deserve a cocktail or three.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.