The Common Jezebel (Delias eucharis) butterfly is found all over India, except in the desert area.
It has bright coloration to indicate the fact that it is unpalatable due to toxins accumulated by the larvae from the host-plants.
The above pictures were shot at the Lalbagh Botanical gardens, Bangalore.
I was pleasantly surprised when the macro shot revealed the secret details of the tiny Coriander flowers...
Coriander (Coriandrum sativum), also known as Cilantro, Chinese parsley or Dhania, is an annual herb...
The fruits have a diameter of 1.5–3 mm...
The dry fruits are known as coriander seeds. Coriander seed is a spice in garam masala and Indian curries...
The leaves are variously referred to as coriander leaves, fresh coriander, Chinese parsley, or cilantro. They are used as a garnish...
- Coriander, like many spices, contains antioxidants, which can delay or prevent the spoilage of food seasoned with this spice.
- Chemicals derived from coriander leaves were found to have antibacterial activity against Salmonella choleraesuis.
- Coriander has been used as a folk medicine for the relief of anxiety and insomnia in Iran.
- Coriander seeds are used in traditional Indian medicine as a diuretic by boiling equal amounts of coriander seeds and cumin seeds, then cooling and consuming the resulting liquid.
- In holistic and traditional medicine, it is used as a carminative and as a digestive aid.
- Coriander has been documented as a traditional treatment for type 2 diabetes. A study on mice found coriander extract had both insulin-releasing and insulin-like activity.
- Coriander seeds were found in a study on rats to have a significant hypolipidaemic effect, resulting in lowering of levels of total cholesteroland triglycerides, and increasing levels of high-density lipoprotein. This effect appeared to be caused by increasing synthesis of bile by the liver and increasing the breakdown of cholesterol into other compounds.
- The essential oil produced from Coriandrum sativum has been shown to exhibit antimicrobial effects.