Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

A perplexing birdventure

Clear weather motivated me to make an early morning trip to Kannamangala lake, which is around 10 miles from home.

But, as luck would have it, there were not many birds around.

A birder suggested that I not waste time there and together we headed towards Saul Kere. The 12 miles distance took an hour to cover and we were well past the golden hour, when we reached Saul Kere. 

Here are the pics from the complicated birdventure…

...
The dawn at Kannamangala looked promising…
...
...
I saw a solitary Little Egret making a dash into the water and pluck out an unwary fish…
...
...
That solitary egret was the only thing I could spot...
...
Quick change of plan brought us to Saul Kere at around 8:30 am. The lake was already crowded with bird watchers.

A  Black-headed Cuckoo Shrike caught my attention…
...
An Indian Golden Oriole was sitting on a distant tree...
...

...
A Black-rumped Flameback was moving on the trunk of a distant dead tree…
...

...

...
A Green Bee-eater sailed in with a bee…
...

...

...
A Cinereous tit drew everyone’s attention…
...
All the birds preferred to sit at a safe distance from the birdwatching crowd. In case of Munias the distance was quite a bit. A purple-rumped sunbird, a Red Avadavat couple and a Scaly-breasted munia were too far for my lens…

...

...
I returned to the Black-rumped Flameback…
...
...

...
Although distant, an Oriental Magpie Robin also could not escape my notice…
...

...
The Green Bee-eater was still looking for a bee to catch…
...
I could see several warblers but could photograph only this Blyth's Reed Warbler…
...
An immature Scaly-breasted Munia…
...

...
A Pond Heron was a tale of concentration with its sharp eyes scanning the water…
...
A White-bellied Drongo displayed its aerobatic skills…
...

...

...
A Glossy Ibis gleamed in the harsh sun…
...
A Little Egret…
...
A Gray Wagtail appeared on the wire…
...
The last sighting of the day was this Pied Bushchat...
...
Hope you liked the post. Please do post your thoughts in the comments section below...

40 comments:

  1. Such beautiful country and birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to amaze me with your skill in finding, photographing and identifying birds. A magnificent post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those first 2 shots of dawn are magnificent! I love all the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the flameback looking so gorgeous and unique. I do not get to see it here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful misty light in the first two photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. excellent captures of egrets... wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! I have been dying to see Red munias. Hope to spot them sooner. The sunrise pictures are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great photos.
    The Black-rumped Flameback and the Bee-eater are my favourites.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  9. All's well that ends well seems to be the logical conclusion here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic as always. What a colorful birds again.I have yet to encounter those here.(Okay minus the heron).

    ReplyDelete
  11. All colorful birds and so lovely! I especially like the Green Bee-eater, the feather hues are awesome. ~ Ms. Donyarific

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,
    Beautiful post, I loved all your photos and the birds are all just lovely. The Flameback is a beauty, the Bee-eaters are pretty birds and I always love seeing the Red Avadavat. Awesome photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Shiju, I’m never disappointed when stopping by Cranium Bolts. Many of your photos are guide-book quality. Some of the close-ups are amazing! Thanks, Shiju, for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Flameback...what a neat looking bird! And I know you were happy with your photos and outing when you got home and looked at your pics! I've enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Shiju, liking your two photographs of the skies especially the one with the Palm Trees. I slowly scroll down to see each bird image and your identification feature. Thank you for the learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...dawn with the tree silhouettes is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful birds as usual. A good decision to head to the second [place, but what a gorgeous sunrise you captured there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Making a change in venue produced a wonderful array of birds...and of course, beautifully captured!!!!
    Have a great week ahead and your linking up is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful captures, a pleasure to see.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Magnificent series of professional photos of our 'feathered friends' ~ Nature gifts ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic birds, the Pond Heron and Glossy Ibis, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos! A wonderful collection of birds!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your photos are sublime, Shiju!
    Such talent! 👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great sky shots. Beautiful birds. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I fell in love with the flameback - what a strikingly beautiful bird!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2022/12/on-display-at-durham-art-council.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. gorgeous shots of your sightings. Love the sunrise photos and the beautiful light on the Little Egret. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What beautiful captures always so crystal clear ;-)

    Have a prettytastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your photos are amazing. I couldn't stop looking at them. Early morning is definitely the best time to get out into nature.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The flameback is a spectacular bird. I love your photos.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely morning. The first photo is so foggy and beautiful. And the woodpecker is all aglow. It was worth the drive!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such amazing skies, Shiju! The egret is majestic. Also, I love the colors of the woodpecker.. All in all a beautiful and diversified post, Friend - Emille

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those first couple of dawn photos look amazing! It definitely seems like you had a successful outing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I liked the way in which you made this expedition work out even if it didn't seem like that in the first place. I loved those images with the golden light ....Thank you for sharing your post for Wednesday’s Words and Pics. It is great to have you be a part of this blogging community & there are two more Wednesdays before a little break until Wed 4 January 2023. See you next week too I hope. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the color of the woodpecker, and the capture when birds are in process of capturing food.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those dawn pictures are stunning and - though I know nothing about birds - you've certain captured them with great detail and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow!! So many incredible birds you saw. Very hard for me to pick a favourite. You got some wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Shiju I could not stop drooling at your breakfast platter. The waffles and fruits look delish. Having said that the birding adventures are becoming more crowded I realise too. A lot of people have taken to birding around covid, a great thing actually as the awareness grows.
    But sometimes it also scares away many a species.

    Will share a post soon from my recent adventures.

    As always your page is a delight to stop by. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That comment was from me. :) Just realised it got posted under anonymous. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.