Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

My first trip to Hoskote lake

Last Sunday morning, I visited Hoskote lake in Bangalore for the first time. I found a startling variety of birds at this scenic place located just 17 Kms from my home. 
Here's a photo tour of a place where I found many new birds...

A female Eurasian Marsh Harrier was the first beauty I saw...


The green spread around the lake forms an ideal habitat for the birds...


A Grey Heron was standing motionless waiting for prey to come within striking distance...


A White-throated Kingfisher was restless...


An Ashy Wren Warbler was at its chirpy best...


A Pond Heron was flying around in search of prey...


Eurasian Coots were in large numbers...


I walked towards the farmland near the lake from where many interesting bird calls were emanating...


I could see a black bird which looked like an Oriental Magpie Robin...


An Ashy Prinia was feasting on the farm produce...


So was a pretty female Baya Weaver...


I walked further looking for a male Baya Weaver. I found their retort-shaped nest hanging from a tree...


A tiny Common Kingfisher...


I returned to the farmland to see if I could spot a male Baya Weaver...


There he was, a male Baya Weaver swinging joyfully on a leaf blade... 


Another male Baya Weaver...


I walked towards the lake to see the water birds in action. On the way I spotted this White-browed Wagtail sitting on a wire...


An Indian Silverbill was also sitting on a wire...



At the lake, a Grey Heron seemed to have caught something...


Looks like it caught an eel...


The motionless wait of both of us was finally rewarded...


It flew away after that small meal...


I walked towards the farmland to see if I can spot another Baya Weaver. I found an Oriental Magpie Robin (I am not sure if I've identified it correctly)...


Sitting on the wire this time was a Red-whiskerd Bulbul making its loud and evocative 'pleased to meet you' call...



I saw the Common Kingfisher again...



And also a White-throated Kingfisher...


A fruit on a vine...


At the farmland, a Rose-ringed Parakeet was munching the produce...






I found another male Baya Weaver...


I dream about my next visit to Hoskote lake where the contrast between the water birds and land birds is very beautiful. 
My fabulous photo walk ended with the sighting of a Brahminy Kite...


35 comments:

  1. What a beautiful set of photos, and lots of new bird for me too, I love both Kite photos, and the Kingfishers are brilliant.
    All the best, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!:) Superb bird photography. Your first shot of the Marsh Harrier is fabulous, and I enjoyed seeing all of these birds, which are all new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous...each and every photo. The white throated kingfisher is outstanding! And the nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing this bit of your life of birding with wonderful narration and linking in this week at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

      Delete
  4. What a treat! Your photos are outstanding ! How fortunate to have these birds nearby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man! This place was like a bird zoo! Wonderful!

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/07/iconic-paris-beautiful-churches.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so bright to know so many birds by their name. Your photographs are outstanding. Keep on shooting and sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the pic of birds you've shared its amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are pristine! The nest hanging from the tree is just perfection! Thank you for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photography! I love that opening shot of the harrier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing variety of birds you found. I love the Grey Heron especially.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are all so wonderful shots, you have a long lens! I love that hanging nest resembling our small sunbird's nest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of your photos are incredible! Love each and every bird...and the wheat grass and other things you have so skillfully captured with your camera! That Eurasian Mars harrier was like a work of art, though. Wow! Stunning bird, and such a beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning photos! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are gorgeous photos! You have a real talent for capturing nature, especially birdlife, with your camera. Thank you for linking up at The Blogger’s Pit Stop Link Party. I’m sharing your link on social media.
    Carol (“Mimi”) from Home with Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have such a wide variety of lovelies to photograph! You captured them beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, what a great outing and wonderful bird sightings. All the birds are beautiful, awesome photos. The nest looks like our Oriole nest or maybe your weaver's nest. Great post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing gathering of birds. I can understand your enthusiasm!! Lovely!!
    just BE.
    robin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness! What an impressive line up of images! I loved them all and am impressed that you know what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have a gully behind our home and I love checking out the birds. I don't know what they all are, but I know we get kookaburras, magpies, corellas, black cockatoos, lorikeets and some kind of hawk that I'm yet to see up close

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great collection of beautiful photos - I love that first one of the marsh herrier.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is such an array of birds there, and you've captured them beautifully x Love the Bulbul and the parrot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your bird photos are always inspiring. The Baya Weaver is my favourite this time and its nest is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are amazingly beautiful photos. I'm so glad I stopped by from One Still Frame. I hope you'll come link up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/07/pm-paddle-on-lake.html. These photos are far too lovely not to share.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very beautiful photos. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great photos and what a richness of birds!
    Greetings from Germany, thanks for joining

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love sighting birds but I often can't identify them. Thanks so much for that. All of your photos are outstanding. What a treat and thanks for sharing this beautiful day;

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful Birds and something I will share with my son. As there was all kinds of Birds I have't ever seen so he might not have either so we can study them in School. Thank you, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delightful photos!
    Thank you for joining the Floral Friday Fotos meme, I hope to see more of your photos in the weeks ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow...you really caught some great action with the heron....beautiful photos...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  30. That nest is really cool. Super impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That oriental magpie robin you doubted could be a Pied bushchat. I'm the guy you met at hebbal lake today with your other friend. The guy who came back to ask your last name

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Srinath,
      Happy to find you here. It was nice to have your acquaintance yesterday. Hope to meet you again soon and learn from you. Thanks again for your visit here and yes, I think you are spot on with the bird identification.

      Delete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.