Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Karnataka Food Festival at Movenpick

Mövenpick Hotel & Spa, Bangalore is currently hosting a Karnataka Food Festival at their popular eatery, My Place. Karnataka food has an array of lovingly and proudly invented dishes with top-notch ingredients and creative flavors. I was invited to have an exclusive preview of the dishes. Here's a photo tour... 



The intimate setting with glass water walls abetted by great lighting makes My Place a good place to hang, talk and share...


Welcome drink came with two options. Butter milk and Kokum drink. I picked the Kokum drink, a sweet and tangy concoction made from Garcinia indica fruit. The fruit from the Mangosteen family has many health benefits that includes ability to reduce allergic reactions and optimize digestion...


Here's how the  Kokum drink looks...





The dinner is curated by Chef Gaurav Bathla, whose creative touch can be felt in the fare...


By now my appetite is sufficiently whetted in anticipation. The delightfully done table top...


The accompaniments for the starters arrived in the form of a variety of pickles and chutneys. The idea is to use these to balance the flavors of the dishes according to your taste...


Chicken Ghee Roast is a deliciously spiced Mangalorean dish which uses clarified butter to roast the chicken...


Congress kadalekai or Masala Peanuts is a popular drink time snack of the region, made from roasted peanuts. The name 'Congress Kadalekai" originated sometime in the 1970s when the Congress Party of India split into two. Peanut was called 'Congress Peanuts" as it always split in two parts...



Bhajji - Raw banana and Jalapeno fritters...


The star of the starters was the Clam and Mussel fry. This dish spectacularly hits the right spots...


Nippattu masala is a popular street food from the region. The nippattu crackers and puffed rice is tossed with a variety of tangy-salty spices that makes it a mouthwatering snack...

For the movie buff, there's a small enclosure where some classic local language movies are screened...


Moving to the main course, there was Akki Roti, a bread made from cooked rice dough infused with dill leaves...



I had it with the Mangalorean Prawn curry, served on a plantain leaf...


The prawns simmered in a thick and spicy coconut gravy is quite remarkable...


My Place has an extensive wine and cocktail list which I didn't bother to peruse. Plain water goes best with this food... 



Neer Dosa is a crêpe prepared from rice batter...


I had it with the Coorg Pandi Curry. The melt-in-the-mouth pork curry remains my favorite of the day...


Jolada rotti is an unleavened Indian bread made out of Jowar (Sorghum). This bread is nostalgia inducing to many of my friends from north Karnataka who have migrated to Bangalore city...


Another classic dish from South Karnataka is the Ragi Mudde made from finger millet flour. It is packed with nutrients and that's why it is almost a daily food of south Karnataka populace...


Ragi Mudde is broken down into smaller balls using fingers and swallowed hot dipping them in Saaru. It is not supposed to be chewed...


Another tasty and healthy dish is the Sabasige Soppu Palya, made from Dill leaves, lentils and a generous sprinkling of grated coconut...



Holige/Obbattu is a delicious dessert . It is a sweet flatbread with a Jaggery and yellow gram filling. It is had with a drizzle of clarified butter...


Dharwad Peda is a dessert unique to the state of Karnataka. It is made from thickened milk and sugar...


Overall the dinner was outrageously delicious. Servers were efficient and the setting is charming and comfortable. The Karnataka Food Festival continues till October 13th.
Need I say more?



24 comments:

  1. Good to see Mangalorean food as an highlight. Though Neer Dosa is in it's pathetic shape. Minus 5 for the Neer Dosa and the chef

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its always nice to read & see your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous spread, so beautifully displayed. Fine pictures, too. I couldn't have had more than a bite of two of each item. Seems like, as my years increase, my stomach capacity decreases. I wouldn't have foregone a cocktail, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very exotic! Everything looked so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful purple walls! The food seems very delicious and exotic to me - extremely interesting post for India is so far from Finland! Thank you for sharing at OBW - enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'm really hungry

    Thank you for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my I could eat all of that (well not all at one sitting!) It looks amazing #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks amazing and very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy, it looks delicious! And I know Mövenpick too 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous life you lead. Getting to sample delicious food and taking in the wonderful atmosphere! Now you just need a t.v. show for us to watch. :) Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good presentation of food and the food itself is mouth watering. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are excellent, very enjoyable. Thank you for sharing with Today's Flowers. I wish you a very happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am jealous. The food looks divine. So much choice and such a wide range. And, some dishes that I never saw before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lavish spread. You always make our tongues hang out. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The food looks amazing!! You get invited to the most awesome feasts. I like the sound of the banana and jalepeno fritters and the clam and mussel fry. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for joining the Floral Friday Fotos meme.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It all looks good, but in particular I would like to try the Akki Roti.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.