Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

Millipede

When the rains come, the Millipedes (Atta in Malayalam language) get really active in Kerala...


They look more threatening than they actually are. Here are some trivia I got from wikipedia:
  • Millipedes do not bite, and their defensive secretions are mostly harmless to humans – usually causing only minor discoloration on the skin – but the secretions of some tropical species may cause pain, itching and occasionally cracked skin.
  • Many species also emit various foul-smelling liquid secretions through microscopic ozopores, along the sides of their bodies as a secondary defence. These secretions may include alkaloids, benzoquinones, phenols, terpenoids, and/or hydrogen cyanide, among many others.
  • Some can result in home invasions, crop damage, train delays, or even train crashes and derailments.
  • Some of the larger millipedes are popular as pets.
  • Millipedes also appear in folklore and traditional medicine around the world. In the Yoruba culture of Nigeria, millipedes are used in pregnancy and business rituals, and crushed millipedes are used to treat fever, whitlow, and convulsion in children.
  • In Zambia, smashed millipede pulp is used to treat wounds, and in the Bafia people of Cameroon millipede juice is used to treat earaches.
  • In certain Himalayan Bhotiya tribes, dry millipede smoke is used to treat hemorrhoids.
  • Native people in Malyasia use millipede secretions in poison-tipped arrows.
  • The only reported usage of millipedes as food by humans comes from the Bobo people of Burkina Faso, who consume boiled, dried millipedes in tomato sauce.


35 comments:

  1. Nice shot and very nice data on them too. I too was under the impression that they are poisonous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot and thanks for supplying the interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shiny! I'd rather photograph them than eat them! http://lauriekazmierczak.com/sky-eye/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, they contain also many chemical substances that are not investigated for medical purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A "Yikes!" shot but also very interesting in its composition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating creatures, but I'm glad we don't have big mills in where I live in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I didn't know any of those things. I have to admit that they do creep me out a bit but I'm sure that's silliness on my part though I cannot imagine keeping one as a pet!
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating...not that I would want one slithering over me!

    Fly and Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gasp! I have a phobia about things like this..... I'll credit you with a nice shot, though I had to quickly scroll past.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The are neat critters. Amazing photo. Thank you for sharing your post on Saturday's Critters.. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once we pulled out some bedding that had been in a closet for a long time, and there was a millipede on it! As long as they're outside I'm ok, but I don't want to share a bed with one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photo and info on the millipede. There are large ones in the rain forests in the Olympic peninsula. Some can get fair-sized in my yard, perhaps 1/4", 6-7mm, in diameter and 3", 7.6cm, long. Today when clearing a bed for vegetables, I probably saw about a dozen very small ones, all curled up. I throw them into a bed of perennials away from my digging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Believe me, Shiju, I want none of these creatures anywhere near me.

    I am sure this offering has photographic merit but it makes me cringe and reminds me of your leech tale!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shot, but anything that crawls gives me the creeps, lol. I do love the details especially the orange things on them. First time for me to really look at one up close, in picture or in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully creepy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate them. We have Portuguese millipedes where we are and they stink, are attracted by light and invade our houses and crawl into fruit in the garden and when you bite into a fig, you get the stench and awful taste of them. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fascinating facts - but they still creep me out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Arrghhh! interesting though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, very good to know. I was under the impresion that they did bite, do you know if there are different types millipedes?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting image!!! But your facts give me the creeps!!! I know I get ear aches, but no thanks to the millipede mush as a treatment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Creepy but cool shot! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Uh, not my kind of creature, but a wonderful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Even though they aren't dangerous, I'll still let you keep your creepy crawly things.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2014/05/ww-wordless-wednesday-tug-of-war.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. My skin is crawling now just thinking about these critters...by far not my favorite that had to crawl along the earth with me! All that aside...the photo is incredible!

    ~Happy WW

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very interesting but YUCK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am not going to put tomato sauce on one and eat it but to each their own. If the Bobo people like just go ahead eat as many as you like.
    JM Illinois, U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing shot #WW

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great shot. Interesting background info.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great photo of the creepy crawly little thing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. There are now two snakes and one Millepede on MoM this week! Great pic of an interesting creature. Thanks for sharing on Mandarin Orange Monday:)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.