I found this Bat hanging upside down from a coconut palm near my home.
There are over 1,100 species of bats, and they live on every continent except Antarctica. Only 3 species of bats suck blood. Most (70%) eat insects. The other 30% of bats eat fruit, pollen, or nectar, or are carnivores.
While reading about Bats, I came across these very interesting birth control strategies followed by female bats:
Female bats use a variety of strategies to control the timing of pregnancy and the birth of young, to make delivery coincide with maximum food availability and other ecological factors. Females of some species have delayed fertilization, in which sperm are stored in the reproductive tract for several months after mating. In many such cases, mating occurs in the fall, and fertilization does not occur until the following spring. Other species exhibit delayed implantation, in which the egg is fertilized after mating, but remains free in the reproductive tract until external conditions become favorable for giving birth and caring for the offspring.
In yet another strategy, fertilization and implantation both occur, but development of the fetus is delayed until favorable conditions prevail, during the delayed development the mother still gives the fertilized egg nutrients, and oxygenated blood to keep it alive. However this process can go for a long period of time, because of the advanced gas exchange system. All of these adaptations result in the pup being born during a time of high local production of fruit or insects.